R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 AM   #676
Tech Fanatic

You do not have a problem with the rotor- the solder on one of your phases has burnt and the contact is lost. When you open your motor a small amount of solder will fall out. I have had the exact same issue. You can fix it by soldering the phase with silver (thats what they use originally) or use ordinary soldes as a solution for the moment but it will melt again due to heat with full boosted racing. I am having difficulties with terminology, if you dont understand dont hesitate to ask anything
Boca Bearings - www.bocabearings.com
UrabusDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #677
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrabusDenis View Post
You do not have a problem with the rotor- the solder on one of your phases has burnt and the contact is lost. When you open your motor a small amount of solder will fall out. I have had the exact same issue. You can fix it by soldering the phase with silver (thats what they use originally) or use ordinary soldes as a solution for the moment but it will melt again due to heat with full boosted racing. I am having difficulties with terminology, if you dont understand dont hesitate to ask anything
Thank you very much for your reply, I have dissasembled the motor and now are checking the stator, but I dont know whats the exactly part I must repair, can you help me?

Thanks.
BeLiPoWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #678
Tech Fanatic

Ok, when you turn the motor horizontally you will see the three phases on top (on the back of the motor, the side where the sensor board is). They have solder on them; one of them doesnt have any or at least less than others. This is a major part which is gone wrong, I dont know the replacement part number but it is the basis of motor so there isnt much point in replacing it. I believe that you can fix it by putting new solder on the phase (silver solder)- I havent tried this yet due to lack of time and the fact that I have 2 replacement motors. But I will definitely try this, as in my opinion this will fix the problem
Boca Bearings - www.bocabearings.com
UrabusDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #679
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The pink dot's on the back side of the motor(see pic)
If one of them is loose then resolder it but i doubt that this solves the problem as if this is loose your motor won't run proper

regards Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLiPoWa View Post
Thank you very much for your reply, I have dissasembled the motor and now are checking the stator, but I dont know whats the exactly part I must repair, can you help me?

Thanks.
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #680
Tech Initiate

The three solderings appears to be in good condition like the rest of parts, so I think it's time to get a new motor...

Thank you so much for your help and effort.

Best regards.
BeLiPoWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #681
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Has anyone run an Lrp x12 17.5 in blinky and had it not be a turd? I put a brand new one in my sedan today geared at 3.8 with one less than max timing and it had no punch and wasn't very fast on the straight(172 on motor after 5 minutes) I geared down to a 3.96 and gained some punch but it was still slow.(temped at 180 after 5 minutes) is this motor just slow or what am I doing wrong? My d3.5 maxzilla on the same layout is money with max timing and a 3.7 fdr.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #682
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00t13g View Post
Has anyone run an Lrp x12 17.5 in blinky and had it not be a turd? I put a brand new one in my sedan today geared at 3.8 with one less than max timing and it had no punch and wasn't very fast on the straight(172 on motor after 5 minutes) I geared down to a 3.96 and gained some punch but it was still slow.(temped at 180 after 5 minutes) is this motor just slow or what am I doing wrong? My d3.5 maxzilla on the same layout is money with max timing and a 3.7 fdr.
I think the x12 may not be the best motor for blinky (it's a beast in boosted though), but shouldn't be a total dog. When I briefly ran it in 10.5 I used 3dot timing and 5.2 fdr, so on 17.5 I'd think you're undergeared, unless it's a small track. Try 3.5 and gear up from there.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #683
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

why would the 7.5t x12 in my dex410 get hotter w/less boost? under geared or over geared? There was plenty of time between heats w/18 races,1st 7min geared 23/87 w/30* boost came off at 179*,2nd 7min left gearing and removed 15* of boost went up to 189* and the main I put it in blinky and it went up to 200*. I thought more boost more heat?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 AM   #684
Tech Rookie

hi all, I have a new LRP X20 4.5T motor, standard rotor, stock insert, and i am searching for info, if available, about the torque/power curve (i couldn't find any dyno graph, not even data about maximum torque/power at which RPM, etc....)... does someone know if there are info available ? also, in setting the correct boost/turbo, i'd like info on torque/power measured at different timings, so that i can see at which RPM it is convenient to add boost in order not to lose power at low RPMs... thx,

Fab
fabrc68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #685
Tech Master

I have the x12 in a 4.5 turn what fdr should i start with on an 80x40 carpet track running a tekin pro in blinky mode car is a tc6.
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #686
Tech Master

I just dont want to fry the motor first time out.
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #687
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko View Post
I have the x12 in a 4.5 turn what fdr should i start with on an 80x40 carpet track running a tekin pro in blinky mode car is a tc6.
I think 9.0:1 should be safe to start with.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #688
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

9:1 is probably too high for good feel, an undergeared mod loses the linear pull-like-a-train feel you expect and is hard on your ESC (more RPM, faster switching speed, more FET heat). Really if you leave the 4-dot or 3-dot insert in the motor you can gear up to get some of the punch out of the bottom end. I would try it and maybe move up to at 8:1 or even a bit higher, unless you want to run boost (lots of fun with a 4.5!!) in that case your gearing doesn't matter. Either way, you don't need to worry about smoking a brushless mod unless you gear/time it WAY up like a spec motor. You may not even need a fan to stay cool, except on the ESC.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #689
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
9:1 is probably too high for good feel, an undergeared mod loses the linear pull-like-a-train feel you expect and is hard on your ESC (more RPM, faster switching speed, more FET heat). Really if you leave the 4-dot or 3-dot insert in the motor you can gear up to get some of the punch out of the bottom end. I would try it and maybe move up to at 8:1 or even a bit higher, unless you want to run boost (lots of fun with a 4.5!!) in that case your gearing doesn't matter. Either way, you don't need to worry about smoking a brushless mod unless you gear/time it WAY up like a spec motor. You may not even need a fan to stay cool, except on the ESC.
On a track that small I wouldn't even run 8:1 on a 5.0t.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #690
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
On a track that small I wouldn't even run 8:1 on a 5.0t.
Why that low? More punch?
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote