R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #601
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverobbo5 View Post
just wanted to put this out there agian as i have a chance to buy a 12.5mm rotor to replace the 12.45mm.thanks
All three of my X12 spec rotors measure 12.41mm. I've alway known the 12.0mm rotor as being the RPM rotor, the 12.5mm as a slight torque boost over the stock, and the 13.0mm rotor as the torque rotor.

The green/gray 1S rotor is 12.25mm

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #602
Tech Adept

what's the safe max temp can x12 4.5T LRP motor hit? my octa wind x12 4.5T hit to 104 degree celcius.. @@ wonder if it's ok or not..
Switching to YOKOMO ~Yokomo BD7~
**Swan Radio Control Club (SRCC)**
icefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #603
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefish View Post
what's the safe max temp can x12 4.5T LRP motor hit? my octa wind x12 4.5T hit to 104 degree celcius.. @@ wonder if it's ok or not..
That's fine, though I wouldn't go much hotter if you're talking external temp.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #604
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
All three of my X12 spec rotors measure 12.41mm. I've alway known the 12.0mm rotor as being the RPM rotor, the 12.5mm as a slight torque boost over the stock, and the 13.0mm rotor as the torque rotor.

The green/gray 1S rotor is 12.25mm
Thanks for the response. i've been getting some good times with the stock X12 versus the popular Trinity/Epic D3. i think the bigger rotor might make a slight difference but i'll get one next time they're cheap.

Because the X12 run hotter they stay hotter throughout the day's racing. Seems to handle it but i'm goning to try my muchmore motor cooler more regularly to keep temps lower and keep it punchy in 4WD offroad1/10 buggy.
daverobbo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #605
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default quick question

can i place a 13.5t x12 in a 2wd off road?
☆ Coral Springs RC Track | Mills Pond RC Track | South Florida|
BlackStarRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #606
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing View Post
can i place a 13.5t x12 in a 2wd off road?
Yes.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #607
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Still having difficulties with my x12 17.5. Im trying to run it in 12 stock with a tekin rs. I ran it in my tourin car with someones posted timing settings which were a lot and it was fast as shyyyte but in my 1s car for whatever reason its a real dog.

Running 4 dot insert. I tried timing assuming 4 dots is 27.5 deg advance which was slotslowslow at 76-79 rollout and then tried assuming no timing. So added about 50 deg as ie seen others doing with 4 dot. Was fast but went flat in 2 minutes.
Wasnt really hot. Has never come out of my 1s car over 160. Just dunno what to do with this motor. Maybe just use it for pure blinky cars where it seems to worj great.

Ran it blinky for one qualifier. Rolled out around 105 an it was easy as fast as the boosted cars. Dunno.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #608
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Yes.
thanks.......
☆ Coral Springs RC Track | Mills Pond RC Track | South Florida|
BlackStarRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #609
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
Still having difficulties with my x12 17.5. Im trying to run it in 12 stock with a tekin rs. I ran it in my tourin car with someones posted timing settings which were a lot and it was fast as shyyyte but in my 1s car for whatever reason its a real dog.

Running 4 dot insert. I tried timing assuming 4 dots is 27.5 deg advance which was slotslowslow at 76-79 rollout and then tried assuming no timing. So added about 50 deg as ie seen others doing with 4 dot. Was fast but went flat in 2 minutes.
Wasnt really hot. Has never come out of my 1s car over 160. Just dunno what to do with this motor. Maybe just use it for pure blinky cars where it seems to worj great.

Ran it blinky for one qualifier. Rolled out around 105 an it was easy as fast as the boosted cars. Dunno.
The X12 will run with 'em all in boosted or blinky. You'll need to do some fiddling with roll out and gear as well as your boost profile. It's not as simple as setting a roll out pouring in tons of boost. What you've described for your boosted profile is a classis heat fade condition.

12th boosted rollout is somewhere in the mid 70s to mid 80s?. Might want to check that with the guys that routinely run a boosted 12th. Stay with that 4 dot insert for any boosted profiles.

Try this (I learned this method from my buddy Harry):

Boosted profile from scratch
When I'm starting a profile from scratch, I use the rough kV to figure out where I want my RPM range.

For 17.5 I take 2400 * 7.2 [you can use the battery ending voltage if you think your profile is pretty close, otherwise I use nominal voltage] = 17,280.

You can use this for your end RPM, but I usually knock around 1k RPM off that figure, so call the end RPM 16,000.

For start RPM, I usually set it for the top 60% so 16,000 *.4 [take 40% off] = 6400. Pick something close from the list of calculated Start RPM values.

After that, it's just a matter of fine tuning to preference. If you want more pull off the corner, raise the Start RPM up about 1,000 RPM. If you want to smooth out power deliver on bottom end, lower the Start RPM about 1,000 RPM. Repeat as necessary.

The amount of boost you run is gearing/roll out dependent.

I only use Turbo if I'm visibly lacking in straight away speed, and don't think the added speed is going to hurt corner entry at the end of the straights. The most Turbo I'll run is around 10, ramp 1 or 2, with .4 delay [almost always]. I don't remember if I was running any today or not.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, if you feel like you want mid-throttle acceleration snappier, lower the End RPM down 1000 RPM at a time until you're happy. If you feel like mid-throttle acceleration is too aggressive, drop the Boost down in increments of 5.

To me, if you see the car kind of "shifting gears", your profile is likely going to upset the car and make it needlessly hard to drive, and slower. I'd rather see the car accelerate smoothly, but very quickly instead.

For 1S, just recalculate as above for half the voltage.

FYI: I use 3400 kv as my rough estimate for 13.5, and 4200 kv for 10.5's. Every company's motor is a little different, but the above calculations have served me well when building a boosted profile.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #610
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Still having difficulties with my x12 17.5. Im trying to run it in 12 stock with a tekin rs.

What size is your track, what surface/grip ?

I find with the X-12 17.5, less boost with more roll was fast, and fade free

Something like 4dot, 2500-7500 rpm, 35-40 boost, 85 roll, at our 90x45 carpet track was close
Add a little turbo if you need more top end

This was about even with a D3 running a wildly different setup, fast lap to last lap

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #611
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Sounds like im adding too much too
Low and listending TOO much to d3 owners for tuning advice ha.

I was getting hung up on how much boost to add overall as the built in boost still confuses me. If i take the numbers ive read though arent you overphasing at 35-40 boost on 4 dot?

Ill definitely try raising the low rpm. I had it at like 1450 so car was getting a ton of boost down low.
I dunno our track footage. Prob 36 wide by maybe 80 ft. Gym with a full size basketball court.
Crc ozite/ clicktrack.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #612
Tech Champion

Quote:
Sounds like im adding too much too
Low and listending TOO much to d3 owners for tuning advice ha.

I was getting hung up on how much boost to add overall as the built in boost still confuses me. If i take the numbers ive read though arent you overphasing at 35-40 boost on 4 dot?

Ill definitely try raising the low rpm. I had it at like 1450 so car was getting a ton of boost down low.
I dunno our track footage. Prob 36 wide by maybe 80 ft. Gym with a full size basketball court.
Crc ozite/ clicktrack.
With 1s 17.5 I liked the 5k rpm boost range
You may like a lower start rpm, but the X-12 has a decent amount of torque compared with the trinity D series motors

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
Old 04-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #613
Tech Elite

Wish there was a dyno i could use at home to test this stuff. Wont get tracktime for two weekends =( crc greylows work outdoors?
Old 04-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #614
Tech Champion

Quote:
Wish there was a dyno i could use at home to test this stuff. Wont get tracktime for two weekends =( crc greylows work outdoors?
Those tires should work reasonably well everywhere

Old 04-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #615
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Does anybody know if the LRP x12 17.5t motor has an onboard temperature sensor, whose output feeds out through the sensor cable?

Wondering because I acquired an ESC that has the capability of reading motor temperature via the sensor cable but only with motors that have a temperature sensor. I know Novak Ballistic motors have a built in temperature sensor but I'm not sure about the LRP x12 17.5t motor.

Bill S.
waswadener is offline   Reply With Quote