R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #406
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm running an LRP x12 octa 5.5T matched with LRP TC Spec version 2 in a T3 2011. My track is medium sized with dusty, low traction surface. Since I'm in Asia, the tropical weather brings the heat at 30deg and above.

I've seen some racers attached the LRP fan to the motor, but is it absolutely necessary? The new software in the TC Spec is engineered for optimum cooling with the X12, but how hot is 'too hot' for the x12 coming off the track? We run 5 minute races.
BigBellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #407
Tech Master

12.25mm rotor for 1s
Can it be used with 2s ?

(looking for an option between 12.0 and 12.5 in a 13.5 TC)
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:52 AM   #408
Tech Regular

Default 1s rotor 2 cells

I think the answer is in the 1s rotor. As the 1s rotor revs much higher and a much higher profile has to be used to to get it to work.

example 12.5 rotor in X12 10.5 profile 0,4,5,0 rollout of 48mm
1s 12.2 rotor in X12 10.5 profile 0,5,11,0 rollout of 41.5

I would think 2s and the revs would be like a jet engine.

Last edited by tellan; 04-08-2011 at 06:10 AM.
tellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:09 AM   #409
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What gearing do you suggest to run on LRP/Nosram X12 13.5 in 0degree timing class? For open outdoor track. I'll use SP GT2.0 Pro or Nosram SXX Competition v2.
lochness42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:49 AM   #410
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo View Post
12.25mm rotor for 1s
Can it be used with 2s ?

(looking for an option between 12.0 and 12.5 in a 13.5 TC)

This is very interesting as there are plenty of options to try to gain performance with the lower output motors. The Americans have another point to consider. Not all of the rotors available are allowed in the 13.5t and higher wind motors per the ROAR rules. ROAR only allows the rotors submitted by the manufacturer for application in particular motors. The new 1S Lipo rotor at 12.25mm diameter has been submitted and approved for use in the 13.5T and higher winds. I believe that is the only additional rotor that is approved besides the standard 12.5mm rotor that is supplied in the motor on purchase.
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:08 AM   #411
Tech Master

The reason I ask is that running the RS Pro and X12 with 12.5 I am already geared at 8.5:1 for a 155ft main straight, but I am having to run the current limiter at 90 as any more gives too much punch causing the car to understeer.
I am thinking a smaller rotor can be compensated by using more current (big step between 90 and 94) and at the same time run a little cooler (78C - 86C).
Car can reach 58mph in current set up, and can jump one (if not 2) off the line.

Current settings:

Schumacher Mi4LP
Tekin RS Pro (212)
LRP X12 - 13.5 (4 dot -10)
IP 5800mAh (60c)
FDR - 8.50:1
48dp 85/18

Set Up
Voltage Cut Off : 2s
Motor Type : BL-FW
Timing Profile : C2
Tick Box : Sensored

Brake
Drag Brake : Off
Brake Strength : 100
Push Control : 50
Brake Minimum : 5

Throttle
Throttle Profile : 4
Neutral Width : 2
Current Limit : 90
Reverse Speed : 100
Throttle Minimum : 5

Timing
Timing Advance : 100
Boost : 50
End RPM : 20016
Start RPM : 5443
Turbo : 14
Turbo Delay : 0.12
Turbo Ramp : 2
Old 04-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #412
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

Guys i have a problem and im wondering if someone can help me.
Im running mod with a LRP SXX V1 speedy and LRP 4.5 Octa wind motor, i have been running the same combo and FDR (about 9.2) for several months with no problems, then at a meeting the other race meeting the motor started to cog of the line or out of a corner.
The guy i was pitting with had the same problem (same combo and FDR), we can say it was the motor as we fitted a new one and no cogging fitted the old one back in and it cog straight away, it now appears that motor is damaged.
We changed the FDR to 8.2 as one of the LRP drivers suggested and still the same problem, so far we have gone through 5 motors in one day between the 2 of us.
Im not sure of temps as the cars were impounded straight after the run and we had to marshall, hope this is sort of clear, and some one can shed some light as to where we are going wrong.

Rhys
Old 04-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #413
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
Im running mod with a LRP SXX V1 speedy and LRP 4.5 Octa wind motor, i have been running the same combo and FDR (about 9.2) for several months with no problems, then at a meeting the other race meeting the motor started to cog of the line or out of a corner.
The guy i was pitting with had the same problem (same combo and FDR), we can say it was the motor as we fitted a new one and no cogging fitted the old one back in and it cog straight away, it now appears that motor is damaged.
We changed the FDR to 8.2 as one of the LRP drivers suggested and still the same problem, so far we have gone through 5 motors in one day between the 2 of us.
Im not sure of temps as the cars were impounded straight after the run and we had to marshall, hope this is sort of clear, and some one can shed some light as to where we are going wrong.

Rhys
Did you check/change sensor wires? Sometimes a sensor harness will be fine once you plug it in, but once it runs on the track for a bit, one or two dodgy connections with the pins will show up as the car vibrates and G's left and right a few times. Also, going through that many motors, have you verified that, in fact, the motors are bad with another known good set up? Look towards sensor boards. Easy to swap out, have spares.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #414
Tech Initiate

Hi, i have some problems with X12 motors

this weekend in race, i cant be faster, because motors run very very hot

Finally i run with a 4.5 octa, fdr 8.6, esc nosram pearl tc v2, with 3-2-2-1, and motor reach very very fast 90ºC, i try less gearing, fix motor timing in 4 position, etc, and no way, ideas?

I need too o-rings for the motor, where i can buy only o-rings for this motors? rebuild kit has more parts

Sorry for english
Lagunikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #415
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:

Rhys
Rhys,

Were you using the LRP sensor wire or a different one? I've been told that LRP calibrate the ESC to the resistance of the supplied wire, so using a sensor of different length or resistance can cause cogging.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:23 AM   #416
Tech Master

Hey Craig, we were using another brand of sensor cable, thanks.

Rhys

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Rhys,

Were you using the LRP sensor wire or a different one? I've been told that LRP calibrate the ESC to the resistance of the supplied wire, so using a sensor of different length or resistance can cause cogging.

We didnt change sensor cables, but the other guy did change sensors with no difference, but i think you are both right it does sound like a sensor problem.

Rhys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Did you check/change sensor wires? Sometimes a sensor harness will be fine once you plug it in, but once it runs on the track for a bit, one or two dodgy connections with the pins will show up as the car vibrates and G's left and right a few times. Also, going through that many motors, have you verified that, in fact, the motors are bad with another known good set up? Look towards sensor boards. Easy to swap out, have spares.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:44 AM   #417
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

received my new x12 10.5 today,very very nice. just disappointed there was no sensor wire included. maybe this is normal for all sensored motors to come with no sensor wire.would be nice if they showed that on there site as i could have ordered one with the motor if i had known.
ozzy-crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #418
Tech Master

Quote:

Rhys

Hi Rhys. Your problem is that you live in Australia which is south of the equator. That means your motor runs in the wrong direction, messing up the timing. I suggest you advance the timing in the motor as far as you can and reverse the sensor cable so that the motor will then turn in the proper direction. That should eliminate any cogging you may have experienced.

(The post above is total sarcasm and I hope all enjoy the humor)
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #419
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl View Post
Hi Rhys. Your problem is that you live in Australia which is south of the equator. That means your motor runs in the wrong direction, messing up the timing. I suggest you advance the timing in the motor as far as you can and reverse the sensor cable so that the motor will then turn in the proper direction. That should eliminate any cogging you may have experienced.

Love it
Old 04-15-2011, 02:51 AM   #420
Tech Master

HAHAH just as well you put that lst line in it i was just about to try it.

Rhys

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl View Post