R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-24-2009, 06:43 AM   #151
Tech Addict

@MIKA: was this motor new & factory sealed when you bought it? Because no matter if it's old or new batch, there should always be the other inserts included!
- 1st batch: "oo" installed -- "o/ooo" and "-/oooo" included in bag
- 2nd batch: "oooo" installed -- "oo" and "o/ooo" included in bag

If your motor was new then please speak to your distributor so they get you a "small parts set" for X12 (which includes all timing inserts) free of charge, the part number of this item is #50622.

@dametz: very strange what your friend experiences... I'm a little lost there if he really tested it in the order as you describe. Check if there is a solder blop somewhere where it shouldn't be (like between housing and PCB) as this sometimes can cause strange things!
I don't think the rotor causes the problem.

@Slideaway: you seem to repeat yourself every few pages with the same motor failure...
You're correct with your statement tough that we experienced, after producing first batch, that "oooo" insert works better then "oo" (which only seems to generate more heat but not more power) and therefore we changed specs and manual accordingly.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #152
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by burito View Post
@dametz: very strange what your friend experiences... I'm a little lost there if he really tested it in the order as you describe. Check if there is a solder blop somewhere where it shouldn't be (like between housing and PCB) as this sometimes can cause strange things!
I don't think the rotor causes the problem.
Which one is PCB? Is it the mounting where we solder the 3 wires from the ESC?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #153
X13
Tech Rookie

I have had 3 X12 motors fail on me now all failed the exact same way.

Motor #1 X12 - 4.0T - Failed Motor bearings exploded and sprayed through motor destroying rotor and windings
Motor #2 X12 - 4.5T - Failed Motor bearings exploded and sprayed through motor destroying rotor and windings
Motor #3 X12 - 4.5T - Failed Motor bearings exploded and sprayed through motor destroying rotor and windings

Each motor failed after 2 - 3 club meets which consist of about 5 runs each, so you could say 10 - 15 runs motor fails
from bearings exploding due to poor bearings and motor heat / thermal design

I run them on LRP SXX TC Spec ESC on Intellect 5000mah 30C LiPo's
I had the 4.0T motor's geared at 9.5 and the 4.5T geared at 9.0
after a run the motor would be around 90 degrees C

I have since changed to a Speed Passion Competition 2 motor which runs about 20 degree's C cooler than the LRP X12
and performs just as well, I have used it now for 5 race meets without any problem and the bearings still feel good!

On the X12 I tried using the option ceramic bearings, they still failed !!
I even went to the extent of replacing the bearings on my last X12 after every race meet, on the 3rd race meet it failed same day I replaced with new bearings... WTF ! why would anyone want to use a motor that needs bearings replaced after every race meet, they aint cheap. and Oiling them is a waste of time it doesnt help much when the bearings are overheating.

LRP new thermal design supposed to make the motor run cooler but it runs hotter than the X11 and it doesnt outperform the SP 4.0R so why bother with X12, they are junk I would never buy another one, LRP dont even reply to emails about this problem. On the good side tho the SXX TC Spec is an awsome esc just dont use it with an X12 motor :P
X13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #154
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X13 View Post
I have had 3 X12 motors fail on me now all failed the exact same way.

Motor #1 X12 - 4.0T - Failed Motor bearings exploded and sprayed through motor destroying rotor and windings
Motor #2 X12 - 4.5T - Failed Motor bearings exploded and sprayed through motor destroying rotor and windings
Motor #3 X12 - 4.5T - Failed Motor bearings exploded and sprayed through motor destroying rotor and windings

Each motor failed after 2 - 3 club meets which consist of about 5 runs each, so you could say 10 - 15 runs motor fails
from bearings exploding due to poor bearings and motor heat / thermal design

I run them on LRP SXX TC Spec ESC on Intellect 5000mah 30C LiPo's
I had the 4.0T motor's geared at 9.5 and the 4.5T geared at 9.0
after a run the motor would be around 90 degrees C

I have since changed to a Speed Passion Competition 2 motor which runs about 20 degree's C cooler than the LRP X12
and performs just as well, I have used it now for 5 race meets without any problem and the bearings still feel good!

On the X12 I tried using the option ceramic bearings, they still failed !!
I even went to the extent of replacing the bearings on my last X12 after every race meet, on the 3rd race meet it failed same day I replaced with new bearings... WTF ! why would anyone want to use a motor that needs bearings replaced after every race meet, they aint cheap. and Oiling them is a waste of time it doesnt help much when the bearings are overheating.

LRP new thermal design supposed to make the motor run cooler but it runs hotter than the X11 and it doesnt outperform the SP 4.0R so why bother with X12, they are junk I would never buy another one, LRP dont even reply to emails about this problem. On the good side tho the SXX TC Spec is an awsome esc just dont use it with an X12 motor :P
Wow...right at run 15 is where mine did the same thing. Look at the attachment in my post. Does this look familiar???

http://www.rctech.net/forum/6176628-post115.html

Still waiting for LRP to replace...there is no repairing that motor!

I have since switched to the Novak Balistic 5.5. I like it, runs 20 degs. cooler at same ratio, and no problems yet.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #155
X13
Tech Rookie

Wow ! I have 3 that look just like it maybe they can be friends :P :'(
Old 08-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #156
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Wow ! I have 3 that look just like it maybe they can be friends :P :'(
If you kept replacing bearings with same result, I've got to wonder if its the rotor causing the bearings to fail. Once a small piece of rotor comes off, then off balance will take the bearings, along with the small particles that will eat them up. I saw another X12 user at same race as mine went out lost just his rotor (came apart). Possibly he got to it before it took the bearings with it.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #157
X13
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
If you kept replacing bearings with same result, I've got to wonder if its the rotor causing the bearings to fail. Once a small piece of rotor comes off, then offbalance till take the bearings, along with the small particles that will eat them up. I saw another X12 user at same race as mine went out lost just his rotor (came apart). Possibly he got to it before it took the bearings with it.
Maybe, im at a loss with the problem, and even if LRP where to replace the motors for me, I wouldnt want to use them again cause the same problem may happen again. I tried putting a very lightly damaged rotor from one of the X12 in a new motor just to test it, and it did give the motor a very bad vibration so I removed it, so I asumed that the rotor even tho to the eye it looked ok was slightly out of balance after the bearing failure or perhaps befor the bearing failure? because I never tested the motor out of the car when I first got it so I dont really know if it was out of balance to start with or not.

I would be interested to know if anyone has got an X12 to last more than 15 runs without replacing the original bearings tho.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #158
Tech Regular

Mine 3T been holding up pretty well. I was iffy about bearing failure before I got it, but have yet to see it happen.
snellemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #159
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Questions?? Help

Hey,

I just bought a 8.5t LRP X-12. The user guide says I should gear it to 7.0:1 for off road 4wd. The LRP web site (http://www.lrp.cc/fileadmin/lrp_anle...e-090518fv.pdf) has a different recommendation of 8.9:1. Can anybody help me with what is correct. I'm leaning to the one on the web site. But I want to be safe.

Thanks

Chris
Hey Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:31 AM   #160
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
I would be interested to know if anyone has got an X12 to last more than 15 runs without replacing the original bearings tho.
My 6.5t X12 is holding on pretty good so far and it has more than 15 packs of mileage on it but I'm keeping a close eye on the rotor and bearings every now and then.
jonest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:32 AM   #161
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Chris View Post
Hey,

I just bought a 8.5t LRP X-12. The user guide says I should gear it to 7.0:1 for off road 4wd. The LRP web site (http://www.lrp.cc/fileadmin/lrp_anle...e-090518fv.pdf) has a different recommendation of 8.9:1. Can anybody help me with what is correct. I'm leaning to the one on the web site. But I want to be safe.

Thanks

Chris
Chris, you may wanna follow the web's instructions as these are newer ones.
jonest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:27 AM   #162
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC10B4_Mafco

you need to frequently oil the bearings with the X12. I have had 2 X12's, with one, the rear bearing blew because i didnt oil the bearings, and the 2nd one held up good because i oiled the bearings after every race meet. The gearing reccomendations in the manual is with -10 deg timing(4 dot timing).

cheers
RC10B4_Mafco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #163
Tech Elite

I haven't run my 4.0T yet due to fearing of bearing failure, well at least until my Boca ceramic bearings arrive within this week or so.Hopefully that will solve the bearings problem with this motor. I ll post the update soon.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:00 AM   #164
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? Differences Between Rotor Sizes

LRP offers three different size rotors, a 12mm, a 12.5mm, and a 13mm. What do this different sizes mean in terms of performance?

Thank you,
Kyle
Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #165
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle3333 View Post
LRP offers three different size rotors, a 12mm, a 12.5mm, and a 13mm. What do this different sizes mean in terms of performance?

Thank you,
Kyle
12mm will give you more rpm less torque, 12.5mm balance between torque and rpm (I think this one comes stock with the motor, though I haven't measure mine), 13mm more torque less rpm.

PS: I hope Burito (LRP) is here frequently to answer the questions/problems posted above.