Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing a New Electric Car to Race

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 03:55 AM
Tech Adept

Choosing a New Electric Car to Race

Could people tell me what the best car to buy is? I am thinking of moving away from gas car, as I am moving house and there won't be gas track close to me.

Money is no object, however what batteries should I run, motor and ESC should I get to get similiar performance to my MTX-3

Thanks For you help

Sami
Old 10-01-2003, 04:27 AM
Tech Addict

for the car
XRay
for motor and speed control
a NovakBrushless Motor System
For the battries
GP 3300
charger
eagle cdc ver6
radio
JR XS3
Old 10-01-2003, 05:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Choosing a New Electric Car to Race

Originally posted by ttektek
Could people tell me what the best car to buy is? I am thinking of moving away from gas car, as I am moving house and there won't be gas track close to me.

Money is no object, however what batteries should I run, motor and ESC should I get to get similiar performance to my MTX-3

Thanks For you help

Sami

This is probably the wrong question to ask without more information given. Your going to get a hundred different opinions as to what car, motor, and batteries to buy. Are you planning on racing in competition or just in a parking lot with friends? If racing, how much experience do you have? If your a novice, you might think about racing in a stock class. If you've been doing this for a while, you might be interested in racing modified. Will you be driving your car indoors or outside? 1/12 scale or touring cars or offroad? Do you see where i'm going with this? There are so many questions to be answered first before you can start to try and narrow down a choice for a car and equipment. Everybody on this forum is very helpful, but we need a little bit more info to help answer your question.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

I am pretty sure he is asking about TC, and since he mentioned a track near his house, he probably wants a race ready set-up. I guess my suggestion is run whatever your track will stock parts for. As for Speedo and batts, there are about a billion options.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

From what I have seen the Losi XXX-S Graphite gives you the most for the money.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

The X-ray T1R. I just got one for my self. And it goes together great, with no problems. And all the parts are made so well. The shocks are really cool with the externally adjustable pistons also. I was faster with it the first time I raced it than I was with my tc3 and the set up was way too stuck for foams. And I sure that if I freed it up that I would be able to take atleast a tenth off of my times. Its an excellent car, the best car I've ever assembled. And you can get it for about $220. At www.rcplus.com you can get it for like $209 right now. Not sur if they do mail order right now. And you don't even really need to modify it to make it a competetor. I gaurentee you would be happy with it.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Everyone is going to tell you to get the car they have. Go to your track and see what the fast guys are running, and ask them what they think. As for batteries, you can't go wrong with some Fukuyama GP3300's. Go to www.fukuyamaracing.com and check it out. As for an esc, I am partial to Novak. I like the Cyclone series, and have heard that the new GT7 cuts out and gets hot fast! As for motor, it all depends on what class your running. Either way stock or mod, I would go with Reedy, or a Putnam www.putnampropulsions.com. Hope that helps.
-Mike

Last edited by Me+RC=$$$; 10-01-2003 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just put a new GT7 in my 4WD, and i am running a 10X2, and have not had any problems with heat. I think that I have the second generation of this speedo as it no longer has the transluscent case. Of course maybe mine is an exception.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Tech Addict

I also run the GT7 in both my XX4 with an 8 turn motor, and in my losi xxxs and havent had a bit of problems with them. Im partial to novak as well, only because I sent in some older cyclones and recieved GT7's as replacements. Havent tried LRP.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:38 PM
Regional Moderator

so far, i guess you get the idea that there is so many choice out there to choose. but ill put in my 2 cents to which might be one of the best cars and electronics out there now

car: Yokomo SD, losi xxxs, xray t1r, barracuda R2 and AE TC3. all of them are good cars, it really comes down to the track set up and parts around your area

motor: depends what the track there allow. if they dont use brushless motors, dont get brushless, if they have no limitations on motors, then any of the big brand names like trinity yokomo P49 wahtever are good

speedo: cant go wrong with novak GT7, LRP quantum, GM newest one (forgot the name) mtronick M3 if you dont have lots of space

batteries: you cant go wrong with the GP3300 now a days! everyone is using it! ZX racing have really cheap matched packs! Fukuyama Batteries seems to be one of the best choice around here!

hope this helps
Old 10-01-2003, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i use the lrp quantum competition. great esc and it is guarenteed for life.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

The lrp speedo's are gaurenteed for life, that is untill you open the package. So its kind of just a advertising thing. I'm not just saying get the t1R because I have one. I'm saying it because it's a great car, its also one of the most durable cars out there. You may want to take a look at the Mission 2 thats coming out soon.
And one thing I also want to mention. The new yokomo SD is a great car, but if your a driver that likes to spend a lot of time rubbing on the pipes I don't think that car is for you. I know a bunch of people who have one and they say they arn't very durable.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by racerdx6
The lrp speedo's are gaurenteed for life, that is untill you open the package. So its kind of just a advertising thing. I'm not just saying get the t1R because I have one. I'm saying it because it's a great car, its also one of the most durable cars out there. You may want to take a look at the Mission 2 thats coming out soon.
And one thing I also want to mention. The new yokomo SD is a great car, but if your a driver that likes to spend a lot of time rubbing on the pipes I don't think that car is for you. I know a bunch of people who have one and they say they arn't very durable.
im waiting for them to come out with a tub chassis SD i like the tub chassis a lot better than graphite!!
Old 10-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

HeY!!!

hey it all depends on if you wanna spend money and if you got any thing in mind of what you want because people have their own opinions on the car they like motor and esc's. i personal opinion i like TC3, monster stock, gp 3300 packs, and the novak gt7, for remote i got a futaba pdf. for servo i got hitec digitel. i don't know if you would wanna spend alot of money but yeah i can'ttell you what to do.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

I also run the GT7 in both my XX4 with an 8 turn motor, and in my losi xxxs and havent had a bit of problems with them. Im partial to novak as well, only because I sent in some older cyclones and recieved GT7's as replacements. Havent tried LRP.
I have had 3 or 4 LRP's and I refuse to buy another. I had 2 Runners blow, both running 20 turn motors, and an F1 that cut out every 10 feet, and the bottom of the case came off the first hard hit. The Lifetime warranty sounds great, but, if you plan on using different connectors or hardwiring it, your warranty is no good. I have read that whole book and the warranty is like racerdx6 said, just an advertising gimic. Just my opinion though. BTW, all the cars listed below are great cars. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.