Current 1/12 models?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current 1/12 models?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

The only time I have seen my BMI be inconsistant is when I either drove it inconsistantly or I did something bone headed during a rebuild and messed it up myself. I struggled with mine for a couple of months only to find out I put a wheel hub on backwards...Once I rememdied that the car was back to top performing and I've been able to improve on that performance even.

The reason the BMI is tweak free has to do with the flex plate idea. Once you properly balance the car you don't have to try to set tweak screws exactly right or have your side springs just touch down with exactly the same amount of pre-load on each side. The flex plates do all that automatically all on their own.

Jason doesn't go out and get top name drivers to race his cars...instead he spends his efforts supporting his customers and developing setups. I've heard of several sponsored drivers that would prefer to drive his car but can not due to contractual obligations with their sponsors. That and the successes the car has had with average Joe racer speaks volumes for the car. I put very little stock in which cars win the big races...the top drivers that win and do well in those races could do the same with a brick if it had wheels on it. I've seen many times where a top driver wins with a car that average Joe racer can't stand or can't get to work.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vafactor
depends on what you are after. lots of club racers seem to be happy with their BMI cars. But if you look at the results from most any major race in the last few years, then it's hard to overlook the proven success of the CRC genX cars at virtually every big race. Curiously the BMI's have not fared very well at major races, which is somewhat of a puzzle since people on the local level do seem to like them. If you wanted a tbar design, then occasionally the CEFX or Hot Bodies cars have done well at big races, but their results are not as consistantly dominant as the CRC team's. Just judging by sheer numbers (and largely because of the excellent support and years of focus strictly on 1.12th scale), the CRC ride is a really excellent choice.

Originally Posted by bigemike
I think the reason that people that are fast are big fans of the db12r is that it is not as consitant as the other designs. I owned one, gave it a full try, ran it at two big races and was never happy, the car would get good then go away. I like jason and what he does for the hobby, so don't think I am bashine him. I would say get the gen x, the car is by far the easiest car out there to go fast with. The other good cars right now are the cefx, corally and speedmerchant. But I would say gen x all the way, by far the largest showing of cars at all major races.
Ever notice who donates the carpet at many of the big races taking place at these "built on site" or "temporary" tracks? You guessed it CRC. So of course their car will do well at these events, CRC team drivers have put countless laps with their cars on that surface.

Originally Posted by bs6ef
All current cars are capable of winning any race, what you need to look at is what other drivers at you club will be running so they can help you out.

BMI DB12R Excellent build quality and very easy to set up with apparently no tweak! Hmmm not sure on that but an awsome car.

Corally sp12x Excellent build quality great car but a little bit fragile

CRC GenX Excellent car build quality not quite upto the standard of BMI or Corally but an awsome car to drive, i'm currently am racing this car car.

RC12L4 Well proven car great build quality, a little old now but still very competative.

CRC T-Force Excellent car build quality not quite upto the standard of BMI or Corally but an awsome car to drive.

These are the only cars that i have experience of, my advice would be to get a BMI DB12R
You're right about the Corally SP12x. Damn good car, but fragile, AND expensive to own. Broke 3 T bars in as many weeks. During the A main, no less. The damn things are now $24.00 a piece. Hey Jason! Where's my BMI DB 12R? Can't wait to get my hands on one.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MACHFIVE
What was the big difference between the yokomo and the AE L4? I had the Yokomo worlds addition with the silver chassis 4 years ago..
Old 11-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Well with BMI dominating this thread i would be surpised if you didn't get one
Old 11-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DHMOTORSPORTS
What was the big difference between the yokomo and the AE L4?
The rear pod, chassis and the tweak plate under the front of the t-plate.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beta bob
there are a lot of great used cars out there too. some people jump from car to car -- like the flavor of the month. it might be worth wild looking to see what is forsale
Old 11-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

well if was looking for a used car , I just sold a hyperform AND a rugrat in the forsale trade section not 20 mins ago!Huge lot with a 17.5 , 250.00 shipped!
Old 11-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by beta bob
True...those of us who have stuck with the car are pretty passionate about it

Really though...unless you get some unknown brand plastic fantastic, you will get a car that can compete at any level.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I think any of the new cars can be great if the time is spent. These things don't drive themselves.

And yes, I drive a BMI DB12R.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Feynman
I'm back into RC after a long time away. Some friends of mine talked me into 2WD offroad to get back into it, so I have been having fun with that for a few weeks.

However...my real love is these zippy little machines. I'd like to pick up a 1/12 again. My last onroad car was an RC12LS, so it's been awhile.

I'd like to get back to some onroad 1/12 driving, but I'm afraid I have lost touch with what's out there.

If it's not too much trouble, could I get a quick list of the cars to look at these days?

Thanks.

-mitch
Hey there buddy, In my opinion just go with the BMI DB12R. Hands down the best customer service(just look at the tread!!), The car comes with all the upgrades so you don't have to put anymore money into it besides electronics, tires, and body(which you do to all of them). The car took 1st and 2nd in our state carpet champs race last year. And, if Jason comes up with anymore ideas for the car you don't have to buy a whole new kit, all of the parts fit on the DB12R chassis. The list goes on and on, but, just think of this, when is the last time you called team associated or crc and talked to the owner?? Take care!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WIITA
Hey there buddy, In my opinion just go with the BMI DB12R. Hands down the best customer service(just look at the tread!!), The car comes with all the upgrades so you don't have to put anymore money into it besides electronics, tires, and body(which you do to all of them). The car took 1st and 2nd in our state carpet champs race last year. And, if Jason comes up with anymore ideas for the car you don't have to buy a whole new kit, all of the parts fit on the DB12R chassis. The list goes on and on, but, just think of this, when is the last time you called team associated or crc and talked to the owner?? Take care!
Jason does very good customer service - no one can say he doesn't.

Not all customer service comes on the internet. If you visit the larger 1/12th scale races you will easily run into the owners or team drivers from all of the big companies. I just saw Frank Calandra two weeks ago at the first leg of the NorthEast Grand Slam. He had a _HUGE_ driver list at the race -- most of which are not sponsored but choose to run his gear. Mike Blackstock and Keven Hebert run for Associated, and they were both at The Gate helping folks with their cars.

Honestly, I don't know if the original poster has a local track but I would recommend he goes there first to see what people are running. It is a lot easier to get help at my local track than on the internet. Thankfully I have a few pro-level drivers at my local track, 360 RC Speedway, where Donny Lia and Mike Haynes run [both 2008 IIC Vegas winners]. These guys don't care if I run the cars they run - they continue to roll up their sleeves and help folks with their rides.

Good luck. Have fun. Remember -- it is _only_ toy cars!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=SpraydbySprague;5015137]Ever notice who donates the carpet at many of the big races taking place at these "built on site" or "temporary" tracks? You guessed it CRC. So of course their car will do well at these events, CRC team drivers have put countless laps with their cars on that surface.

Good grief. I have heard it all now.

While the BMI "crew" is in here raising their post counts, the CRC drivers are at the track. In case no one has noticed, there is a very important race coming up in a couple weeks, and we are working hard to get ready for it.

So, while some companies choose to race on internet chat rooms, we choose to race on the track. Our track record speaks for itself.

Not to disrupt the BMI pep rally going on here, but there was a question asked here a little while ago. While the glee club says get a BMI, I work for CRC and to me the answer is simple.

To maximize your enjoyment in your return to 1/12th scale, here is what I would do. Visit the track where you are planning on racing and look around. What are the people there running? What does the local hobby shop stock? What car is going to make your life easiest without having to mail order everything? While being the only guy at the track with a particular car can be fun, it can also be frustrating.

1/12th scale is making a huge comeback, and the season is just starting, so get a car and get out there!!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

well spoken. You can get out from underneath the desk now.

And last i looked, they were customers. Happy ones from the looks of it.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is why the employees at CRC stay out of alot of these threads. I don't push any car in particular, I give someone some decent advice, and I get told to "get out from underneath the desk"?

8204 posts and still looking for a clue.

I will not bring myself to that level and dignify that childish post with a response as I do have multiple companies that use me as a spokesperson.

Have a nice day.

National Champ out!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

National toy car champ. Be proud brutha. You come on here and insult my customers who are happy with the product they purchased. Very well spoken company rep. To be honest, i was honestly blown away by how you insulted possible customers to any of us manufacturers. Good going Champ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.