R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #46
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumper View Post
I don't push any car in particular, I give someone some decent advice, and I get told to "get out from underneath the desk"?
Its the nonsense prior to your suggestion that gets you in trouble. Your advise was fine and i agree with it.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #47
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Wow - again, thanks for all the advice. I didn't mean to start any arguments.

As far as local support, I'm in a situation both good and bad. Around Phoenix there is VERY little in the way of onroad driving at the moment. I know from a few conversations that Keoni has some nice plans to revive at least the small SRS track soon. Outside of that, onroad just seems to be dying around here. You can guess how much local parts support that provides me.

So, the bad news is that I am not expecting much in the way of local shop support. When SRS starts their onroad program back up, I'll find out what they plan on stocking and give them much of my hard-earned money.

The good news is that since I am for now limited to mail order parts, I think I'm pretty much free to pick whatever car I want.

Honestly, when I first saw the SRS track, I was disappointed in its size. However, last weekend, for the heck of it, I raced my buddy around it with our 2wd buggies, and it was a BLAST. It's not a big track, but it's big enough to have a ton of fun on. I decided after only a few laps that I'd be buying a 1/12 car again, even if it meant I only raced my friends on the abandoned track. Offroad is a lot of fun, but onroad just does it for me. I can't wait...

I am quite shocked how many cool cars there are now - my head is spinning reading about these. It's pretty exciting, though.

2WDMOD, I saw your post about an hour too late, or your lot would have been mine.

Again, thanks everyone - the more I read, the more I am looking forward to getting one of these.

I'll also be buying lotto tickets for the first time, as if I win you can expect Phoenix to be hosting a new world-class onroad track facility.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled in the for sale section...

-mitch

Edited to add: Just in case anyone got the impression that I was a capable driver, rest assured I suck. I won't be able to tell the nuances that will help me win the big races - I'll be more concerned with completing laps without crashing.
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #48
Tech Champion

Quote:
While the BMI "crew" is in here raising their post counts, the CRC drivers are at the track. In case no one has noticed, there is a very important race coming up in a couple weeks, and we are working hard to get ready for it.
Well...I'd be at the track too with my BMI if we were as fortunate as many who have a permanent facility, indoor or outdoor. But because we don't yet and we only race twice a month I get lots of time to post here

Quote:
To maximize your enjoyment in your return to 1/12th scale, here is what I would do. Visit the track where you are planning on racing and look around. What are the people there running? What does the local hobby shop stock? What car is going to make your life easiest without having to mail order everything? While being the only guy at the track with a particular car can be fun, it can also be frustrating.

1/12th scale is making a huge comeback, and the season is just starting, so get a car and get out there!!
Well said...Any current car can do you well but one that other people are running at your track makes it easier to get your setup right.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:51 AM   #49
Tech Apprentice

Default I ran against these when they were current

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHFIVE View Post
Associated is coming with a new car too. It's for vintage 1:12 racing.

We owe alot to the early 1:12 scale designs.
Yes I am as old as dirt.

ran a Leisure Car for starters (no picture but I might have a pod somewhere)

also ran against the Jomac with the Big brick - servo, receiver and esc as a single unit - about 7 inch long brick in a Jomac tub - the same tub that ran .49 glow engine. I wish I had a picture.

OBTW - even though I have an older workable 1/12 (Yokomo YRX12 silver chassis) I will be getting a BMI car. I want a 1/10 but no one is running one so I will blow the dust off my 1/12 and scrape the driving rust with that - then get the BMI

Last edited by rsperson; 11-05-2008 at 08:19 AM.
rsperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
Wow - again, thanks for all the advice. I didn't mean to start any arguments.

As far as local support, I'm in a situation both good and bad. Around Phoenix there is VERY little in the way of onroad driving at the moment. I know from a few conversations that Keoni has some nice plans to revive at least the small SRS track soon. Outside of that, onroad just seems to be dying around here. You can guess how much local parts support that provides me.

So, the bad news is that I am not expecting much in the way of local shop support. When SRS starts their onroad program back up, I'll find out what they plan on stocking and give them much of my hard-earned money.

The good news is that since I am for now limited to mail order parts, I think I'm pretty much free to pick whatever car I want.

Honestly, when I first saw the SRS track, I was disappointed in its size. However, last weekend, for the heck of it, I raced my buddy around it with our 2wd buggies, and it was a BLAST. It's not a big track, but it's big enough to have a ton of fun on. I decided after only a few laps that I'd be buying a 1/12 car again, even if it meant I only raced my friends on the abandoned track. Offroad is a lot of fun, but onroad just does it for me. I can't wait...

I am quite shocked how many cool cars there are now - my head is spinning reading about these. It's pretty exciting, though.

2WDMOD, I saw your post about an hour too late, or your lot would have been mine.

Again, thanks everyone - the more I read, the more I am looking forward to getting one of these.

I'll also be buying lotto tickets for the first time, as if I win you can expect Phoenix to be hosting a new world-class onroad track facility.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled in the for sale section...

-mitch

Edited to add: Just in case anyone got the impression that I was a capable driver, rest assured I suck. I won't be able to tell the nuances that will help me win the big races - I'll be more concerned with completing laps without crashing.

Hi Mitch, not sure if you know but there will be a big race, two day event, down in Tucson the first weekend of Dec at CH. Its an indoor carpet and off-road track so you might want to check it out. If you have'nt gotten a 1/12 car your welcome to drive one of mine(I have too many anyway).

As for local support your correct the on-road scene is beyond dead but Keoni enjoys 1/12 so if he decides to try on-road at SRS I think he'll stock some parts.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #51
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
If you have'nt gotten a 1/12 car your welcome to drive one of mine(I have too many anyway).
That's very kind of you, but you'd retract that in a second if you saw me drive. I have a tendency to test those properties of moving object-> immovable object collisions.
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
well spoken. You can get out from underneath the desk now.
DAMN!
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #53
Tech Elite

i must interject. dumper came on here and voiced an opinion. the post that insinuates that the only reason that team crc drivers are good is because they are used to racing only that carpet is a joke. what other type of carpet is there to race on. it's not like you can go down to home depot and pick up 3 rolls of r/c carpet.

second. it's not like he came on here and said " don't but a bmi car they are a piece of crap, and they have terrible customer service.....only buy crc." i do not see where the insult came in. he said go to the track, see who runs what and what you can get parts for.

based on the inflammatory response a guy gets for not saying "buy bmi" only 'cause the owner is on this thread, it seems to me that it is not dumper that needs to get out from under the desk.
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post
i must interject. dumper came on here and voiced an opinion. the post that insinuates that the only reason that team crc drivers are good is because they are used to racing only that carpet is a joke. what other type of carpet is there to race on. it's not like you can go down to home depot and pick up 3 rolls of r/c carpet.
Actually, it's not a joke. The carpet used is not always been "r/c" carpet. It's referred to as Ozite. Which is a brand name for this type of carpet. It's used for many other things besides r/c. (Remember many things r/c came from other industries. The r/c market evolved these products to better suit our needs. There's no r/c ball bearings, just ball bearings, in all different sizes.)

http://www.ozite.com/sprod.cfm

And to support my earlier statement check this out.

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...howpage&pid=11

Now I'm not trying to discredit CRC. I just merely stated the fact that their drivers have put countless laps down with their vehicles.They have their stuff dialed, no doubt. Just trying to make sure ppl know what makes a vehicle successful. Practice, practice, practice.

Last edited by SpraydbySprague; 11-05-2008 at 09:12 PM.
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #55
Tech Elite

the point is that the carpet has nothing to do with with it. why don't you just say that. those guys are fast because:

1. they do have talent.
2. they spend a ton of time at the track,
3. they always have the newest and best equipment
4. they know how to make a car do what they want it to do.

and there is no reason for coming down on a guy how does have a little bit of pride for reaching the pinnacle of the "hobby" that would be winning a national, or another huge race like i.i.c., snowbirds, or Cleveland. but he does have a point. the track record speaks for itself.

i am not a crc guy, a pro, or anything like that. i just happened to pop in and see someone getting blasted for no reason.

sorry for the rant. I'm done.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #56
Tech Champion

If you reread his statement he is being quite condesending to BMI customers who race BMI cars. It' not companies racing on internet chat rooms, none of us work for BMI. We are all just very satisfied customers. Then condesending again calling use a glee club. Those are just comments that did not need to be said to get his point across.

Quote:
While the BMI "crew" is in here raising their post counts, the CRC drivers are at the track. In case no one has noticed, there is a very important race coming up in a couple weeks, and we are working hard to get ready for it.

So, while some companies choose to race on internet chat rooms, we choose to race on the track. Our track record speaks for itself.

Not to disrupt the BMI pep rally going on here, but there was a question asked here a little while ago. While the glee club says get a BMI

Yes the track record is impressive and CRC has a great car. I'm even trying out the new CRC front end on my BMI and so far am liking it. And I have raced a CRC 1/12th in the past, it was a fine car. But to me track record by top drivers means very little. Give a top racer any of the current 1/12th scale cars and they will wheel it to a great track record. You'll get a much better picture looking at how average Joe racer is doing with various cars. And in that area yes the CRC is doing quite well, so is the 12R5, Speedmerchant, and yes the BMI too, as well as many other cars.

I have nothing against CRC...they make great products...I just bristle a bit everytime I read that statement and eventually had to say something. As for the carpet...CRC isn't the only company that supplys carpet for RC, and even if they are that really doesn't give them an advantage. What helps is having a track in-house to test and develop with as most of the top 12th scale manufacturers have or have access to.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:25 AM   #57
Tech Elite

whatever. he was insulted first when sprague said that the only reason they are fast is because they have the "advantage" of the carpet. so i do not blame him one bit for comming on here and being a little defensive. that is it.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:48 AM   #58
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike

very true the bmi crew seems to be an internet racing team. They don't travel, they don't put in the money and resources to goto big races and there car will always be a "toy" as jason stated when he called "dumper" a national "toy car" champion.

The guys on here that spend there time and money to goto big r/c races are the same guys who don't buy bmi.

BMI is not a national championship car. Nor do they have drivers or setups for that level of racing. If that is what you want look for another car like speed merchant, corally, crc or associated

You will see in about 3 weeks in cleveland who makes the best.

Jason if you ever want people to take the car serious make it do something, get a real driver, and a couple of big wins, not just in the main

Last edited by bigemike; 11-06-2008 at 08:03 AM.
bigemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #59
Tech Master

Can't you guys just let it go?? Jason and Frank don't like each other much (for who knows what reason. I wonder if they even remember why??).

Anyway, BMI and CRC both make great cars. In the end you may need to buy and race a couple of different Manuf's cars and see what type of cars suits you style of driving.

And they are toy cars that some drive (play) with better than others and actually get $$ to do so.

E
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:23 AM   #60
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think all the top cars are capable. As I see it there are two issues;

1) support - in my experiance, Jason at BMI is the most availalbe (on rc tech or email) to answer questions and help out. I have a Speedmerchant car and it drives nice but in my experiance, I can never get ahold of anybody to ask questions or order parts. If you look at the Speedmerchant thread you will find similar comments.

2) parts availbility - It depends on your local track or hobby shop. Consider what your local hobby shop is stocking and how that will support the car you choose. Most hobby shops stock Associated parts and the BMI uses an associated front end. The Bmi does have some specilty parts like the flex plates but I have a set of spares and have never needed them. The newer CRC cars have front end parts specific to their cars.
Fastforward is offline   Reply With Quote