Like Tree7Likes

VTA tuning Q&A

Old 11-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default screw loose

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
It happens. I don't know what your track looks like but it could of been a few things. drove it into the turn too hard or did a good grove come up and you just hooked up too much. Now you know what it takes. Good Luck
I lost a screw in the bottom of the hub carrier I guess that could have done it. Pass me the loc tite please
Old 11-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

anyone now if its possible to compare different pistons based on hole count and diameter to know what oil weight will give similar dampening characteristcs between the two?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
anyone now if its possible to compare different pistons based on hole count and diameter to know what oil weight will give similar dampening characteristcs between the two?
Smaller/fewer holes + light oil = larger/more holes + heavy oil

Sort of. Your piston speeds may vary, in terms of pack resulting for bumps vs. cornering compression. The manufacturers I've seen generally make it so that going to the next piston size requires 5-10 wt oil change to feel about the same.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up VTA set-up

I picked up a TC3 chassis and am going to build a VTA Cuda.Looking for set up basics for chassis,shocks,springs,etc.Going to run 27t brushed for now as I have a lot of them.Any help greatly appreciated
Butch
PS going to run track in Rochester,NY Carpet
Old 12-01-2009, 06:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by butchman
I picked up a TC3 chassis and am going to build a VTA Cuda.Looking for set up basics for chassis,shocks,springs,etc.Going to run 27t brushed for now as I have a lot of them.Any help greatly appreciated
Butch
Go try asking at the VTA thread, but watch what you ask over there they are bashing people for opinions .
They don't seem to want to embrace the new technology of faster speedo`s . So if you ever get a newer speedo their gearing philosophy is different.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
Go try asking at the VTA thread, but watch what you ask over there they are bashing people for opinions .
They don't seem to want to embrace the new technology of faster speedo`s . So if you ever get a newer speedo their gearing philosophy is different.
He should be able to ask his question here and get it answered as this is the VTA tuning thread.

As for your issues with what you posted and what they responded, thats something different entirely.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
Just cause you don't get the "Spirit of VTA" doesn't mean people are bashing you, just means you don't get it.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Butch
Check AE's website under "racing" then "setups." select TC3 on the left, and there are a few carpet set up sheets listed. Scan over them for a general starting place. That's what I did but unfortunately I have not made it to the track yet for testing.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What type of car is working best for VTA on a carpet track, shaft drive or belt drive?
Old 12-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIGBOT
What type of car is working best for VTA on a carpet track, shaft drive or belt drive?
Oh here we go I use a shaft drive ive heard postive and negative things between Belt/Shaft so I think it comes down to personal preferance. I like the shaft because there are no shaft adjustments but I would like to buy and build a TC5 in the near future
Old 12-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
Oh here we go I use a shaft drive ive heard postive and negative things between Belt/Shaft so I think it comes down to personal preferance. I like the shaft because there are no shaft adjustments but I would like to buy and build a TC5 in the near future
With VTA i really dont think u can go wrong with any of the cars u choose to run. at our track we have AE, Xray, HPI, Team Magic, etc. and all the cars are very close in competition, with the slower speeds i belive it is what setup works with ur driving and drivers skill!
Old 12-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIGBOT
From what I read, the slower speeds prevents the torque steer you might get with shaft and faster motors.

I've read shaft is supposed to be more effiencient??

I've been tempted to buy a evo 4 if I can find one cheap, just to compare.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Butch
First off, good choice. The chassis is bulletproof and there are plenty of parts still on the market. I run silver or blue fronts and green rears for springs. Look for an old Baker or Haynes setup and you'll be very happy with it. If/when you switch to brushless and lipo, the car becomes more stable and neutral due to the motor's rotating mass characteristics. There is no torque steer problem with the 21.5 spec brushless motor. The shaft cars tend to have more snap on acceleration and the belt cars tend to carry better corner speed. In the end it all averages out and the racing is just plain fun.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Just cause you don't get the "Spirit of VTA" doesn't mean people are bashing you, just means you don't get it.
Huh, I guess I don't get it either, I thought we were racing these cars...?

Anyway there's nothing wrong with a shaft car for VTA you won't notice 'torque steer' until you get into mod motors. I ran my TC3 pretty soft, silver springs in the rear, blues in the front, 40 weight oil all around, no sway bars, diffs on both ends of the car, 4 degree caster blocks. Great car.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

For those running T2's on carpet any advice on setup? I am running 17.5 lb springs in the front with 45 wt oil and 15 lb springs with 30 oil in the rear. My car is doing okay but not great. I'm just kind of curious as to what springs and oil others are running.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.