R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I use motor spray or WD40. I choose between the two for what I need for traction help. The only thing I use lighter fluid on is Foams.
Dave
dragracer72nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to g12314 Send a message via Yahoo to g12314

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf1 View Post
i cleaned my tires with lighter fluid two runs later they were trash
How so? What I do is put some on a towel and wipe my tires down after a run. No ill effects seen from using lighter fluid on two sets of tires.

Jimmy
Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #108
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
I have an odd issue. I have one rear tire that after its cleaned and allowed to dry its still tacky. It picks up carpet like a Hoover. The other tires behave normally. I can put the tire on the opposite side, and it does the same thing. Any ideas? I've cleaned it with motor spray and then again with lighter fuel.
Which corner did it start life on? Left or right?

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #109
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Which corner did it start life on? Left or right?
Left rear. I thought it was a scuffing issue since the tires were fairly new. I've never seen these tires get physically tacky before. I tried the lighter fuel to try and get rid of the tacky texture. As Dave said earlier, WD 40 is usually enough to clean off the built up rubber. I've thoroughly cleaned them again and am letting them sit with nothing on them for a day to see if the tire dries up a little. Its now the right rear tire and was having the same issue before I benched it. I almost bought another set of rears and still might have to. I need to get a little more wear into it to see if I get past this layer of gummy rubber.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #110
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For those using Jack and your starting out with a new set of tires here's tip that makes them work the first time out.

Coat the tires with a generous amount of Jack and place in a plastic bag over night. If building a new set at the track let sit in the bag for at least 30 minutes.
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #111
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I use lighter fluid to clean the tires after every run -- no problems with it.

"I've got 4 on the floor and a fifth under the seat"
TeamGoodwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:41 PM   #112
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Left rear. I thought it was a scuffing issue since the tires were fairly new. I've never seen these tires get physically tacky before. I tried the lighter fuel to try and get rid of the tacky texture. As Dave said earlier, WD 40 is usually enough to clean off the built up rubber. I've thoroughly cleaned them again and am letting them sit with nothing on them for a day to see if the tire dries up a little. Its now the right rear tire and was having the same issue before I benched it. I almost bought another set of rears and still might have to. I need to get a little more wear into it to see if I get past this layer of gummy rubber.
Hmm, I had a suspicion it was the left rear, since that would take more abuse than a right. Have you tried scraping the tire to see if it's just built up gook, or is the actual rubber itself tacky? I have had left front build up gook, and it is pretty hard to get off. Was your car sliding the rear end at all? Not even loose, but just moving around?

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #113
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Hmm, I had a suspicion it was the left rear, since that would take more abuse than a right. Have you tried scraping the tire to see if it's just built up gook, or is the actual rubber itself tacky? I have had left front build up gook, and it is pretty hard to get off. Was your car sliding the rear end at all? Not even loose, but just moving around?
The car was just plain nailed to the corners for 2 laps, then it it picks up just enough carpet to slide. I went back and practiced with it. No compound at all. The tire lasted about 3 laps again. I inspected the tire before and after the run. Its now full of built up rubber and carpet yet still tacky. The tire stayed on the right rear during this test.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #114
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm running a TC3 VTA car ...

I'm running lipo, 21.5 - Novak GTB, Futuba digital servo (reg size) and Spektrum receiver (larger one).

I'm 200g overweight (1600 range) with the lip battery and counter weight.

I'm wanting to lose some of that weight so I can be more competitive. (And, yes, before someone says it ... I ran at a big race warm-up on Jan 1 ... ran a perfect race - the best I can do - and was beaten by 5 other guys. And in my opinion, I was losing time during acceleration, so I think it is the weight)

I was told I could run the car without the lip coutner weight plate ... tweak will be off, but should be manageable. I've run without the plate when I first started racing the TA and I would spin out turning left in some sections.

So ... my questions: Maybe I was spinning out because I had new VTA tires on, and now that I've got some races on them, I should have more traction? Thereby getting rid of weight from the counter weight?

I have a plastic chassis on it ... and like the weight the car handles. If I go to graphite, I'd lose some weight ... but also lose the flex from the plastic. Is this true?

Is there another way to get rid of weight that makes sense? I was told that I could ground out the middle of the chassis to move the battery towards the cetner ... however, I would think this would hurt my balance problem.

I'm running at the Novak Race next Thur - Sun ... and won't be racing the car until then. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Takt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #115
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Tim,
Just to let you know that Matt's(Yellow Camaro)was on the heavy side too. I do not know the right amout(100 to 200 over weight).
Dave
dragracer72nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #116
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to g12314 Send a message via Yahoo to g12314

Just some weight saving ideas:

Futaba 9551 and a Micro Spektrum RX should get you 15 grams.

If your not already, you can use aluminum screws to shave some weight.

If your using heavy gauge motor / battery wire, reduce it to 14 gauge.

Jimmy

PS: The guys that beat you are indeed at the top of their game in TA racing. Not saying your not up there, but if your running similar lap times it is down to some good ole fashion luck.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #117
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takt View Post
I'm running a TC3 VTA car ...

I'm running lipo, 21.5 - Novak GTB, Futuba digital servo (reg size) and Spektrum receiver (larger one).

I'm 200g overweight (1600 range) with the lip battery and counter weight.

I'm wanting to lose some of that weight so I can be more competitive. (And, yes, before someone says it ... I ran at a big race warm-up on Jan 1 ... ran a perfect race - the best I can do - and was beaten by 5 other guys. And in my opinion, I was losing time during acceleration, so I think it is the weight)

I was told I could run the car without the lip coutner weight plate ... tweak will be off, but should be manageable. I've run without the plate when I first started racing the TA and I would spin out turning left in some sections.

So ... my questions: Maybe I was spinning out because I had new VTA tires on, and now that I've got some races on them, I should have more traction? Thereby getting rid of weight from the counter weight?

I have a plastic chassis on it ... and like the weight the car handles. If I go to graphite, I'd lose some weight ... but also lose the flex from the plastic. Is this true?

Is there another way to get rid of weight that makes sense? I was told that I could ground out the middle of the chassis to move the battery towards the cetner ... however, I would think this would hurt my balance problem.

I'm running at the Novak Race next Thur - Sun ... and won't be racing the car until then. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Is there room to place your ESC on the battery side?? That could shift weight to the left, maybe then you could remove left side weight and not be out of balance. You may also consider placing your TX on the top of the battery brace, along with your PT.

Also, what battery are you running? The Orions are extremely lightweight compared to other batteries.
This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it- Psalms 118:24

World Champion Turn Marshall
BadSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #118
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the replies ... I realize that the fast guys are probably better drivers and better at setting up their cars ... I just want to equivalize the cars to that point.

The fast guys are going to beat me because they are fast ... cars and drivers. I know that.

Putting the reciever on the battery brace ... will that hurt since the weight is higher?

I'm running orion batteries.

Maybe I better concentrate more on setting up the car, and less on this stuff, huh?

I just felt like the car was as fast as anyones ... just didn't accelerate as fast. And I blamed the weight.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #119
Tech Adept

Tim,

If you get the chance, stop into the shop before the Novak race with your car and lets do some laps, and see what we can come up with.

Jim
www.MARCCA.com
REEDSBURG RACERS
Jim@RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #120
Tech Fanatic

I appreciate the help you gave me yesterday Jim! Thanks! I'll try to get in and see if we can get it figure out. Thanks!