R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #421
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Anyone new or just struggling some with handling or grip..... the first and IMO the most important thing to do in this class is keep your tires CLEAN. I've seen crappy setups work ok with good tires but a good setup with glazed tires just doesn't cut it. So first and foremost clean your tires!

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #422
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

One way rule is only for the Hurricane All Star series. Otherwise, enjoy your oneway

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:04 PM   #423
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by padailey View Post
Anyone new or just struggling some with handling or grip..... the first and IMO the most important thing to do in this class is keep your tires CLEAN. I've seen crappy setups work ok with good tires but a good setup with glazed tires just doesn't cut it. So first and foremost clean your tires!
Good thing you brought that up. I know its been covered in the past but is still a good subject to bring up. your right Tires are probly #1 when it comes to setups expecialy if the tires are new then forget handleing so to start tire prep and storage are huge. I like to clean my tires with WD-40 and for adding traction compound keep it consistant! if you cover the rears 100% and only 50% of the front then keep the routine the same as for storage at the end of a race clean and goop you tires and store in a air tight bag (Zpiloc) as for breaking in new tires the only way I know is to just run them but you can always Pre break in the tires. for me I clean them as soon as I take them out of the package then goop the rears and front 100% and store in a bag, after that each day pull them out,goop,and reseal lengh of time will depend on your pacience and your own methods. I try for 1 week then mount them. (a whole nother sublect) this is the method I try to use. anyone else have tips they wish to share
Old 11-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #424
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscnitro View Post
Good thing you brought that up. I know its been covered in the past but is still a good subject to bring up. your right Tires are probly #1 when it comes to setups expecialy if the tires are new then forget handleing so to start tire prep and storage are huge. I like to clean my tires with WD-40 and for adding traction compound keep it consistant! if you cover the rears 100% and only 50% of the front then keep the routine the same as for storage at the end of a race clean and goop you tires and store in a air tight bag (Zpiloc) as for breaking in new tires the only way I know is to just run them but you can always Pre break in the tires. for me I clean them as soon as I take them out of the package then goop the rears and front 100% and store in a bag, after that each day pull them out,goop,and reseal lengh of time will depend on your pacience and your own methods. I try for 1 week then mount them. (a whole nother sublect) this is the method I try to use. anyone else have tips they wish to share
I clean my tires after every run with lighter fluid. Douse the rag and rub off the gunk, and keep going until the rag comes off the tire clean. The last pair of tires I broke in just by doping, then storing in a ziplock bag for a week or two. When I got tothe track they were ready to go.
This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it- Psalms 118:24

World Champion Turn Marshall
BadSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #425
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Anyone ever try progressive springs on there sedan in this class?
Old 11-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #426
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default vta final drive question

What final drive is everyone running? I have a 21.5 setup in a tc3. I know it might take some dremeling to get in the low 4 range. any experience with this?
jrxsMike03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #427
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrxsMike03 View Post
What final drive is everyone running? I have a 21.5 setup in a tc3. I know it might take some dremeling to get in the low 4 range. any experience with this?
When I ran a TC3 I ran a Robinson 81t (64p) spur gear and 40 thru 46 pinions, and had good luck between 4.4 and 5.0 No mods needed and never temped over 140 degrees even when running outdoor on hot days.
trerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #428
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
When I ran a TC3 I ran a Robinson 81t (64p) spur gear and 40 thru 46 pinions, and had good luck between 4.4 and 5.0 No mods needed and never temped over 140 degrees even when running outdoor on hot days.
nice I'm using 48p now and just under 5.0 how much of a diff does the 64p make?
Old 11-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #429
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
nice I'm using 48p now and just under 5.0 how much of a diff does the 64p make?
I like it basically because it's quieter, lol. I never had any issues running 64p in the tc3 even on asphalt. I would just tape the access hole in the bottom of the chassis to keep debris from entering there.
trerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #430
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Anyone ever try progressive springs on there sedan in this class?
I've used the HPI ones on a pro 2 I was using, they worked but they aren't worth getting.
Kregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #431
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kregger View Post
I've used the HPI ones on a pro 2 I was using, they worked but they aren't worth getting.
what did you notice was different about the vehicle when using a progressive spring versus standard one?
Old 11-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #432
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
what did you notice was different about the vehicle when using a progressive spring versus standard one?
Under most conditions the car reacted like it had normal springs on, but every so often (on a hairpin after a long straight). The car would start off fine and about midway through the car would get squirrley (it would go from being neutral to wanting to dive in hard). Nothing drastic but it was slightly disconcerting when you weren'texpecting it.
Kregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #433
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

Quote:
what are you guys finding in general that does the best to increase rear grip?
Just use TIRE TWEAK traction compound.
Slotmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #434
Tech Addict

Thanks for the tips wiscnitro I had the Fastest car last night at the track. Had everyone lapped at least once. Unfortunately I traction rolled in the last 30sec of the main and my car sat for about 10sec on its roof still got second.
This car has never traction rolled before it was strange
Old 11-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #435
Tech Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the tips wiscnitro I had the Fastest car last night at the track. Had everyone lapped at least once. Unfortunately I traction rolled in the last 30sec of the main and my car sat for about 10sec on its roof still got second.
This car has never traction rolled before it was strange
It happens. I don't know what your track looks like but it could of been a few things. drove it into the turn too hard or did a good grove come up and you just hooked up too much. Now you know what it takes. Good Luck