R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #376
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Well, time to refit the Mustang to Hurricane specs as I'd like to make those races this year up here in the great white north. I have of all things a center one way in my TC3 from a TC4 Nitro going into the front diff, so the diff is actuallty intact (no one way diffs allowed this year by the way). I'm wondering if that will still be considered legal as the diff is still in place and the one way is only on the input shaft? Just trying to save myself 15 minutes of work...
No.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #377
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm working on it! See you soon Mr. King.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:27 AM   #378
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz888 View Post
Great thread with lots of info!!!!

I'm new to the whole VTA Scene ans was wondering if anyone can help out with a good starting setup for my TC4?

I'm building a tub chassis TC4 with the 21.5/lipo and a spool. I'll be racing on a large, high traction paved track. It is roughly 225x100 and has a ton of grip from being treated with a VHT type treatment.

Here is a pic to give you an idea of its size and flowing layout.

The track is also hosting the First Annual Vintage Onroad Challange. I attatched the flier for the race if anyone is interested. Track website: https://controlfreakz.com
Still looking for setup advice for my original post. Anyone out there willing to help out?

The straight is 225 ft. The rest of the track is much kinder to 1/10 electric cars. This track was designed mainly for 1/8 and 1/10 nitro.
Attached Thumbnails
VTA tuning Q&A-areial%2520view.jpg  
tazz888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #379
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz888 View Post
Still looking for setup advice for my original post. Anyone out there willing to help out?

The straight is 225 ft. The rest of the track is much kinder to 1/10 electric cars. This track was designed mainly for 1/8 and 1/10 nitro.
I would suggest losing the spool for a one way (if you have driven with a one way before) or a diff. Gear at 4.20 FDR if you can get the gears to fit. Gold front, blue rear springs (associated) - may need to soften those down to blue/silver. No swaybar. 6-7 mm ride height. A little droop in the front, a little more in the rear (that's as scientific as I get on droop). I'm sort of taking a stab at this based on my friends VTA TC4 that races on high traction carpet...

You may also want to PM Darkside as I think he races a TC3 on asphalt, but he may tell you something like 10mm ride height

The VTA Photon! (Inactive - back to the Kawada!)
http://vtaphoton.blogspot.com/
Thirtybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #380
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Spool + Akerman -

So when running a spool (carpet and asphault) what's the theory on Akerman?

Will less Akerman (more parallel wheel angles) counteract the poor off-power steering and initial turn in? Or will less Akerman make the car push even more and make it twitchy on the sweepers?

Since both tires are rotating the same amount, it's difficult to figure what Akerman setting has the most grip.

Racing on medium sized carpet and asphault tracks, medium to good grip on both.
xevias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #381
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevias View Post
Spool + Akerman -

So when running a spool (carpet and asphault) what's the theory on Akerman?

Will less Akerman (more parallel wheel angles) counteract the poor off-power steering and initial turn in? Or will less Akerman make the car push even more and make it twitchy on the sweepers?

Since both tires are rotating the same amount, it's difficult to figure what Akerman setting has the most grip.

Racing on medium sized carpet and asphault tracks, medium to good grip on both.

My ackerman gives me nice parallel lines and great radius with almost no wheel slip at low power. Under heavy cornering, I get a touch of toe out. When I get back on the power and the front end comes back up, I get optimal tire contact and no front wheel slip. The toe out keeps the front end planted under load. If I need to take away off power/under load steering I decrease it a touch. I check it by pushing down on the car on the bench and see if the tires go to a toe out under pressure.

This is my opinion and what works for me.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #382
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
No.
ygpm...and its a good one
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #383
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
I'm working on it! See you soon Mr. King.
Drove the TC3 Mustang with a diff today. It didn't seem like a huge difference. Just touch more squirly entering a corner if anything.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #384
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Starting to think of getting my VTA car ready for the winter season. Running a HB Cyclone black edition. Can't decide if it would be better to leave it on the stock chassis/upper deck, or use the thicker BMI chassis/upper deck I got as extra parts when I bought the car used. A thicker chassis should make it more consistent on carpet, right? I know it would on foam tires, but not sure about VTA tires. Opinions?
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #385
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Starting to think of getting my VTA car ready for the winter season. Running a HB Cyclone black edition. Can't decide if it would be better to leave it on the stock chassis/upper deck, or use the thicker BMI chassis/upper deck I got as extra parts when I bought the car used. A thicker chassis should make it more consistent on carpet, right? I know it would on foam tires, but not sure about VTA tires. Opinions?
It'll make it a lot stiffer, but these cars don't push the chassis that hard. I'd try it the way it is and see if it needs to be stiffer. I doubt it will need to be.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #386
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
You'd be better off getting the new diffs for the car. The old ones were a p.i.t.a and not great anyway.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #387
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Already planning on getting the pro spec aluminum diffs. Was gonna get the 18T pulleys and belts, but it's probably not worth the expense for VTA. I already have the BMI chassis, so it's not an expense.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:47 AM   #388
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Was wondering if anyone is running the tekin esc in their VTA car and would be kind enough to share a setup so I can fine tune from there.
home13oy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #389
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by home13oy75 View Post
Was wondering if anyone is running the tekin esc in their VTA car and would be kind enough to share a setup so I can fine tune from there.
If you have the hot wire, you can copy mine I"m running the 21.5/lipo setup

I'm attaching the screenshots

TekinRS_Settings_VTA.jpg - is pre v194 settings, dual mode and fairly conserative

RS_VTAsettings1.jpg - v194 in dual mode

RS_VTAsettings2.jpg - v194 in sensored-only with the boost control settings

I'm running a KO Helios radio, so your neutral points might be better taking the defaults and go from there
Attached Thumbnails
VTA tuning Q&A-tekinrs_settings_vta.jpg   VTA tuning Q&A-rs_vtasettings1.jpg   VTA tuning Q&A-rs_vtasettings2.jpg  
Old 07-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #390
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
If you have the hot wire, you can copy mine I"m running the 21.5/lipo setup

I'm attaching the screenshots

TekinRS_Settings_VTA.jpg - is pre v194 settings, dual mode and fairly conserative

RS_VTAsettings1.jpg - v194 in dual mode

RS_VTAsettings2.jpg - v194 in sensored-only with the boost control settings

I'm running a KO Helios radio, so your neutral points might be better taking the defaults and go from there
Thanks! I appreciate the screenshots. In the last sensored-only mode, how much timing are you running on the motor? I was also wondering what the difference is between throttle profile 3 and 5. I've only ran throttle 3 before and just curious. Are you also pretty competitive with the SPX at your local track?

Thanks in advance!
home13oy75 is offline   Reply With Quote