R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default FM advantages over 2.4GHz???

Hi, What advantages has the FM technology opver 2.4GHZ???? More control?
Of course with 2.4 you've got no worries about frecuencies, but many drivers still use FM.... whe nthey can afford 2.4......

Is FM better, except for the frecuency things??

Thanks

"Mas que un hobby, un estilo de vida. Algo que corre en los circuitos de mis venas"
.....ChOoJuAaAnNnn, Sebastian, Juancho... como quieran XD.... o Sebastian Oviedooo...
Juanchoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

maybe slightly faster response times (not noticeable though). other than that all I can think of is that there are hardly any stick type 2.4ghz transmitters out there.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

FM has no advantage over 2.4 gig. DSM does everything FM does at a frequency far away from any potential interference.

If you can afford it, get DSM. IF you have FM, keep it for now it's still good and you don't have to worry about frequency conflicts as much since everyone else is on DSM (thanks, guys! )

More and more stick radios are being made available with DSM
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
Tech Adept

MMmm I see,the thing is that Im screwed with FUtaba AM radios!!!! 2 rx damaged in less than a year!!!! no crashes... just died..... and i was looking at 3pm in FM..... for 100 dollars in Tower... looks good..but DSM is much more expensive.... so should I buy FM????? Im in a very lmited budget hehee im 16 and doing it on my own....

Thanks

"Mas que un hobby, un estilo de vida. Algo que corre en los circuitos de mis venas"
.....ChOoJuAaAnNnn, Sebastian, Juancho... como quieran XD.... o Sebastian Oviedooo...
Old 11-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Both Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz or Sanwa/Airtronics MX-3 2.4G are quite cheap both! I'd take Sanwa/Airtronics, as Futaba has some problems with FASST.
lauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Tech Addict

start saving now and buy an m11 with dsss or futaba with fast or even ko propo with there 2.4 ghz system it will be worth it in the long run.
KyoshokiddT.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
Tech Champion

If you're on a budget the 3pm FM is a good radio. There's also a 3pm DSM which isn't that much more.

Whatever your budget allows.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Depending on track location, there may be certain frequencies within the 2.4 band that are also used by other devices. Wireless internet, wireless computer components, telephones, etc. For the same reason these devices often interfere with each other, they interfere with the 2.4 radio systems. If you happen to go to a track where there's interferance, you can't do anything about it when you're on 2.4. You can't change freqs like on 75, you're just screwed.

Take a look at the driver's stand from the 2008 8th scales worlds at The Farm II in Charlotte NC. Every single driver in the A main is using 75mhz. The track is plagued by 2.4 interferance.

If you're going to race at one or two tracks, find out if anyone else has problems there. If you're going to travel to races every now and then you would probably be best off with a synthesized 75mhz system.
MRDS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:22 AM   #9
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Geetoo Send a message via Yahoo to Geetoo

Noticed brushless system emits more noise interference more than brushed. Safer to use 2.4 ghz on brushless than fm.
www.team-durango.com
www.actionhobbiesonline.net
Geetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)

FM is still usable, in fact i still use it. I have a Futaba 3pm and it works just fine. I dont have any issues with interference, whether it be brushed or BL.

The guys you see probably still use thier controllers because of feel. Whenever you change you controller, your feel goes out the window until you get used to it.

Cheers!
Bigshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri View Post
Both Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz or Sanwa/Airtronics MX-3 2.4G are quite cheap both! I'd take Sanwa/Airtronics, as Futaba has some problems with FASST.
I've switched my Futaba 3PK from Spektrum to FASST and I've never looked back. I don't know personally of any drivers having issues with FASST. Go on Futaba's website. Turns out they have been using 2.4GhZ systems for 15 yrs in their industrial radio control applications.
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Thanks for your help guys.... I think Ill be using FM.... but with a radio that can swith to 2.4GHz, Ill keep an eye on M11 (but I think its way too expensive for me).... mostly to see other non-Futaba systems hehee

See ya

Old 11-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Save up and possibly look for something used on here in the marketplace, you never know what you might find. ou do not always need the latest technology, and as stated you can pretty much run FM without worry of needing other crystals with everyonelse going too DSM.
katfish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dodo

lots of people switched to 2.4GHz at my local club and voila... the minority who sticks to FM (includine me) have no more interference problems
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo View Post
lots of people switched to 2.4GHz at my local club and voila... the minority who sticks to FM (includine me) have no more interference problems
lol you should see my track... everyone except me using 2.4ghz or 40mhz, so i never need to change my 27mhz crystals