Wiki Posts
Search

What are the margins of most RC retailers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default What are the margins of most RC retailers

Not sure where to post this question.. but I am very curious as I'm sure a lot of other are to. What are the margins of RC cars etc for RC retailers? I'm sure some of you either own or work for RC retailers.

what are the margins of cars, parts, electronics..

Thanks!!

J
Old 10-31-2008, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jman37
Not sure where to post this question.. but I am very curious as I'm sure a lot of other are to. What are the margins of RC cars etc for RC retailers? I'm sure some of you either own or work for RC retailers.

Thanks!!

J
Not enough to support themselves. Support your LHS!
Old 10-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCSteve93
+1
Old 10-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

+2
Old 10-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks!!

J
+3
Old 10-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

oops +3
Old 10-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

It is all depends. Some retailers buy direct from manufactures, the profit margin can be 70%. If buy from distributor then profit is around 40%-50%. Hobby shop owner can easily make $10000 - $30000 net income per month easy. In fact, they will tell you it is bad business always as they don't want more competition. hahahaha
Old 10-31-2008, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ioxqq
It is all depends. Some retailers buy direct from manufactures, the profit margin can be 70%. If buy from distributor then profit is around 40%-50%. Hobby shop owner can easily make $10000 - $30000 net income per month easy. In fact, they will tell you it is bad business always as they don't want more competition. hahahaha
I don't know about that, if that were true I don't think they would ever have to close a shop.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 328 (100%+)

lol I'm letting you know right now there are not many items in RC that come out to those margins.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Wink

It is all depends. Some retailers buy direct from manufactures, the profit margin can be 70%. If buy from distributor then profit is around 40%-50%.
I am sure you are talking Tower Hobbies.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Tech Adept

I wouldn't be surprised if they get 60%+ mark-up on some hop-ups, accessories etc..

But hey, thats what it takes to run a business. Rent, labor, inventory, utilities.. it goes on and on.

Im in business and I am curious as to these things. It does seem to me that if there were 50 point mark-ups, we could find things on the internet for waaaay cheaper than what we do.

I do know it is important to support the LHS's because they are the center of the local RC community. It does become difficult however, when they refuse to price match and are 20% more than internet retailers..

Jon
Old 10-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 328 (100%+)

Thanks!!

J

Trust me the margins are not high at all. I love the sport and the hobby so I love running my shop and of course I race myself so the discount is nice and adds to the worth it all factor

I'm a online hobby shop and you probably won't hear this from any other online shop, but yes support your local hobby shop and especially the tracks. If they cant get some things or don't have them in stock, then please venture your way toward the online guys One of the reason I say this is High Velocity has goals of opening a track and a local hobby shop at some point and time. I can only hope to make it as we see so many tracks and shops close down, But this is still a goal that High Velocity wants to take a chance at for the love of the hobby.

but trust me the margins are not high and I deal with some of the biggest distributors

were talking around 10-15% on kits, electronics etc.

If the proof of all of the shops that close down is not enough then I don't know how to convince you guys that margins are lower than what people think

Last edited by johnny boy; 10-31-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnny boy
Trust me the margins are not high at all.
but trust me the margins are not high and I deal with some of the biggest distributors

were talking around 10-15% on kits, electronics etc.

If the proof of all of the shops that close down is not enough then I don't know how to convince you guys that margins are lower than what people think
yes

no
Old 10-31-2008, 10:24 PM
Tech Adept

Oh I dont doubt the margins are very low on the cars themselves..
Old 10-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Markup varies from 10% for a kit to 100% for some parts. For a hobby shop/track, though, they give up so much square footage to the track/pit that the sales/sq. ft. figure for the whole facility can be crushing. (Don't be the guy who plugs in his twin 25A power supplies, cracks open an 1/8th scale pit bag full of spare parts ordered online, and then complains about a $15 race fee and the markup on tires: "$32 for a set? I can get them for $28 through Tower!" Priceless.) That is, net margin is not great as a rule, and is often outright awful. Try finding a space within an hour's transit in a metro area that you can pay for with business from racers...not easy.

To even have a chance, it is just hugely important to serve up the high margin consumables: tires, bodies, batteries, front arms and knuckles, etc. While the more you can buy at the track or LHS is always better, for sure buy the regularly replaced items where you race. Cash flow is the blood flow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.