R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #2416
Tech Adept

I am after a bit of set up advice please. I'm running a 009 with the 38t pulleys and ecs driveshafts i race on an technical indoor carpet track 24m x 12m my car is set up as per the carpet / rubber set up in the manual. I'm running a Tekin rs and a redline 13.5t motor and fdr 7.9. The problem i've got is if i set the Tekin up on conservative settings the car is on rails and handles really well. As soon as i add a bit of extra punch and some timing for speed the car is all over the place mainly corner exit on power the back end just lets go and the car oversteers really bad. The diff has been rebuilt and is set up fine and is very smooth, the shocks have been rebuilt and have no air in them. I completely stripped the car and replaced some bent hinge pins and all bearings. It just can't handle the extra grunt from the lively settings any ideas where to start please as i'm fed up with MI4's with Speed passions out handling me
BILKO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #2417
Tech Regular

did you check your belts make sure they are not slipping?
a slipping belt will cause the car to act crazy
Old 06-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #2418
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by clparsons123 View Post
did you check your belts make sure they are not slipping?
a slipping belt will cause the car to act crazy
I replaced them when i rebuilt the car and they are adjusted fine.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #2419
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILKO1 View Post
I am after a bit of set up advice please. I'm running a 009 with the 38t pulleys and ecs driveshafts i race on an technical indoor carpet track 24m x 12m my car is set up as per the carpet / rubber set up in the manual. I'm running a Tekin rs and a redline 13.5t motor and fdr 7.9. The problem i've got is if i set the Tekin up on conservative settings the car is on rails and handles really well. As soon as i add a bit of extra punch and some timing for speed the car is all over the place mainly corner exit on power the back end just lets go and the car oversteers really bad. The diff has been rebuilt and is set up fine and is very smooth, the shocks have been rebuilt and have no air in them. I completely stripped the car and replaced some bent hinge pins and all bearings. It just can't handle the extra grunt from the lively settings any ideas where to start please as i'm fed up with MI4's with Speed passions out handling me
Diff or spool in front?
Old 06-10-2010, 05:22 AM   #2420
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by waOscar View Post
Diff or spool in front?
Spool, did try a diff when i first got the car but didn't like it as the brakes were poor and it really over steered.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:48 AM   #2421
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILKO1 View Post
Hi. i'm running an xray 008 at Maritime raceway UK.
I have the same problem with a Speed passion with latest firmware. I'm having to run the timing ramp very wide, otherwise too short, the car overheats its tires in a minute or so due to the car accelerating to top speed and burning its tires. Unfortunately theres not much you can do about this really I find. When I ran an LRP SPX stock, the car is more progressive upto speed and is not killing the tires.
maxg123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:56 AM   #2422
Tech Adept

Default Chassis flex

My question is, does anyone here actually understand what the flex on front/rear of the car does to the handling? - I know about setup, but i'm finding that the rear flex options actually ruin the handing indoors on certain tracks and its the front flex screw holes that can give the car a bit more steering and compliance in the handling.

Put it this way, when I added the top/rear deck 2 screws to make the car have full amount of screws at the rear, the car was more stable and predictable. It was actually very surprising how big a change it was, considering how stiff the car already is at that point!

When I take the middle motor mount screw out the car is dreadfull and more snappy. This is on carpet. It seems to me having the right flex in the right place is the most important thing. I also swapped the rubber EU top deck with the rubber Asphalt EU top deck and the car was slightly more stable also, because the front part of the deck has a bit more flex, but the rest is kept the same.

I just wonder how many of you guys have experienced these scenarios indoors. The biggest problem I have is snap oversteer on corner entry to slow corners. As soon as throttle is touched, it wouldn't really matter what setup I have, the car is dialled. I've tried 6 deg caster blocks, harder front springs, Paul L setups, less downtravel at front (helped) but the car basically has an inherant snappiness into slow corners at certain indoor tracks. The laptimes are fast, but the car is hard to drive. I have camber 1.5 front, 2.5 rear and that was a decent change, so i'm keeping that. I'm finding stock setup with a few minor tweaks to be the best compromise, like less front camber, less front downtravel (6.0 to 6.5).
Old 06-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #2423
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxg123456 View Post
The biggest problem I have is snap oversteer on corner entry to slow corners. As soon as throttle is touched, it wouldn't really matter what setup I have

the car is dialled.

the car basically has an inherant snappiness into slow corners at certain indoor tracks.

the car is hard to drive.
Sorry, I wouldn't call your car "dialed" if you are having those issues.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #2424
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i've got some forward motor conversion parts available for a smoking deal -- http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ion-parts.html
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:48 AM   #2425
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Sorry, I wouldn't call your car "dialed" if you are having those issues.
Thanks for your help

If you read it again, I said dialed on throttle.

Last edited by maxg123456; 06-15-2010 at 03:55 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #2426
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Im considering trying out a specR gear diff in the front of my 09. My question is will it work with my ECS drive shafts? And the 34tooth pully is the stock pully, correct?
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #2427
Tech Regular

yes the stock pulley is 34 tooth .id like to try the specR diff also . i no a couple people using them in there 416we's they say there really good.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #2428
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

can anyone tell me the difference in running the 1.7 final drive ratio as apposed to the 1.9 fdr? i have the kit just looking for some input. does it make the car more throttle responsive with the 1.9 fdr?
http://www.rctech.net/forum/kansas-m...l#post11891510
touringdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #2429
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringdriver View Post
can anyone tell me the difference in running the 1.7 final drive ratio as apposed to the 1.9 fdr? i have the kit just looking for some input. does it make the car more throttle responsive with the 1.9 fdr?
You are referring the the car's Internal Drive Ratio (IDR). The FDR Final Drive Ratio is the ultimate ratio when motor gearing is included.

From a gear ratio standpoint all I see in the 1.9 IDR vs the 1.7 IDR is that it would make it easier to gear for lower turn mod. However, for 13.5 - 21.5, the stock 1.7 is good enough.

Edit: Thats for motor/esc setups with no timing advance. For setups with timing advance like the Tekin where a higher FDR is needed then the 1.9IDR would help in gearing.

There may be some other reason behind a higher IDR (ie. more gear reduction), so perhaps someone can explain more about it.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #2430
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Last week I broke the top plate on the XRay. I was able to get it running without the top plate and to my surprise, it ran better without it. I'm assuming that all the extra flex from not having the top plate attributed to better traction. However that setup didn't last long because the "flex" also untensioned the front belt such that it came of the front diff pulley. Perhaps that setup can still work if I can find a belt tensioner to put on the chassis. Anyone know of one I can use on the XRay?

BTW for anyones concern, I researched the parts list for the 009 vs the T3 and found that all the suspension parts and some of the drivetrain parts are compatible. I had to do this because my local shop carries parts for T3 but was not sure if they would fit the T2 009.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote