R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #1951
Tech Regular
 
R1wurks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 297
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

one more thing, is there ceramic thrust bearings available for 009? is there ceramic diff balls available?
R1wurks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #1952
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,562
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1wurks View Post
how long does your diff and thrust bearing last before you have to sand down & rebuild your diff on a T2 009.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
I think the answer is, it depends. In my T2'008 EU I've never even opened the rear diff because I primarily run 17.5T in that car. In my T2'009 EU with a 13.5T I've rebuilt the diff a few times in the past few months as it has gotten gritty.

Paul LeMieux gave a bunch of us a diff building clinic at the Asphalt Nats last weekend. He suggests cleaning/rebuilding your diff often -- as frequent as every 4 runs. I know that I cannot feel on the track the difference between a new diff, and a diff with 10 runs but I'm sure Paul can. He said that he replaces the trust bearing much more frequently (7 to 1) than the diff rings/balls.

On the following page Paul describes how he builds a diff (scroll down a bit, or look for 1000): http://forum.teamxray.com/viewtopic....&start=140#top
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life

Last edited by hanulec; 10-10-2009 at 10:05 AM.
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #1953
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,562
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1wurks View Post
one more thing, is there ceramic thrust bearings available for 009? is there ceramic diff balls available?
if you search online you will find a few aftermarket ceramic thrust bearings. i cannot say how good they are as i haven't tried any yet. i think it is best to just replace the thrust bearings when your diff starts to feel weird.
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life

Last edited by hanulec; 10-10-2009 at 09:45 AM.
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #1954
Tech Elite
 
KHoff7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,166
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I can second that. Ive rebuilt one of my diffs time and time again and it always felt notchy. I tried the thrust bearing off of my good diff and it make my "bad" diff fell perfect.
__________________
Awesomatix USA / Middle River Hobbies / Sweep / Psycho Cells Racing
Karl Hoffmeister
KHoff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #1955
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,661
Default

Generic Ceramic diff balls here:
http://rc4less.com/Bearings_&_Diff_B...duct_info.html

The stock Xray ones are 2.4mm (0.094) and the 3/32 ones at rc4less are 3/32 (0.093)

Ashford Hobby has the Xray carbide ones: http://ashfordhobby.com/detail.aspx?ID=4311

as does Nexus Racing: http://www.nexusracing.com/product_i...roducts_id=294

and AMain: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ifferential-12

The Xray ceramic thrust bearing is $28!
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ing-Axial-F3-8

Does anyone know of another source for the thrust bearing, probably from another car? The size is 3x8x3.5mm
__________________
*** The Gate - Celebrating 8 years at the same location ***
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #1956
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,634
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

This is what I run:

http://www.axiommotors.com/thrust-be...c-113_164.html
Kody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #1957
Tech Master
 
ngo8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Posts: 1,264
Send a message via ICQ to ngo8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kody View Post
This is one i am looking at not sure if it will work
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=18845
__________________
Xray|ORCA|Sanwa|Trinity|KoPropo
ngo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #1958
Tech Master
 
johndayo101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCaLyO
Posts: 1,736
Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)
Default ceramic

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1wurks View Post
one more thing, is there ceramic thrust bearings available for 009? is there ceramic diff balls available?
steve i use the ceramic balls from axiommotors.com and it wurks! i just pop the balls from the thrust and replace it with ceramic. you can us also use there thrust bearing but use the old plate. the but if you need the original XRAY Carbide 3x8x3.5mm Ball Bearing Axial F3-8 i have brand new in a pack 15 shipped.:

these are the sizes
1 x 2.4mm Ceramic Balls (12pk) $10.95
1 x 1/16 Ceramic Balls (8pk.) $4.95
johndayo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #1959
Tech Master
 
gonzo416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,938
Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)
Default

Would these work? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...st-Bearing-Set

If so what rings can be used in replacement of the old ones?
gonzo416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #1960
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,562
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo416 View Post
Would these work? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...st-Bearing-Set

If so what rings can be used in replacement of the old ones?
losa3018 should work. avidrc has a thrust for $3 too.

I've only run the xray thrusts and diff rings/balls to date.
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #1961
Registered User
 
UltegraSTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,171
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

i asked RD what he does slot the 1 chassis servo hole (he slots it), but does any1 else in xray camp use a 9551 futaba? the fit isnt that great isnt it. is a 8800 a better fit? slot the chassis? thoughts. thx

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #1962
Tech Regular
 
R1wurks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 297
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
I think the answer is, it depends. In my T2'008 EU I've never even opened the rear diff because I primarily run 17.5T in that car. In my T2'009 EU with a 13.5T I've rebuilt the diff a few times in the past few months as it has gotten gritty.

Paul LeMieux gave a bunch of us a diff building clinic at the Asphalt Nats last weekend. He suggests cleaning/rebuilding your diff often -- as frequent as every 4 runs. I know that I cannot feel on the track the difference between a new diff, and a diff with 10 runs but I'm sure Paul can. He said that he replaces the trust bearing much more frequently (7 to 1) than the diff rings/balls.

On the following page Paul describes how he builds a diff (scroll down a bit, or look for 1000): http://forum.teamxray.com/viewtopic....&start=140#top
thanks hanulec! R1wurks is currently working on a project aimed at making diffs last longer. your input is definitely appreciated!
R1wurks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #1963
Tech Regular
 
R1wurks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 297
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
if you search online you will find a few aftermarket ceramic thrust bearings. i cannot say how good they are as i haven't tried any yet. i think it is best to just replace the thrust bearings when your diff starts to feel weird.
thanks again hanulec! we are just trying to see whats out there as we are new to xray cars. we actually have 2.4mm 3/32" diffs balls for the 009, its available at speedtechrc.net $7.99 per pack of 12 http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=689
this diff balls are very high quality & they are hand picked, measured & matched per pack to achieve optimal performance

we will also have balls for thrust bearings next week.
R1wurks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #1964
Tech Regular
 
R1wurks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 297
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHoff7 View Post
I can second that. Ive rebuilt one of my diffs time and time again and it always felt notchy. I tried the thrust bearing off of my good diff and it make my "bad" diff fell perfect.
thanks KHoff! your input is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Generic Ceramic diff balls here:
http://rc4less.com/Bearings_&_Diff_B...duct_info.html

The stock Xray ones are 2.4mm (0.094) and the 3/32 ones at rc4less are 3/32 (0.093)

Ashford Hobby has the Xray carbide ones: http://ashfordhobby.com/detail.aspx?ID=4311

as does Nexus Racing: http://www.nexusracing.com/product_i...roducts_id=294

and AMain: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ifferential-12

The Xray ceramic thrust bearing is $28!
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ing-Axial-F3-8

Does anyone know of another source for the thrust bearing, probably from another car? The size is 3x8x3.5mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kody View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngo8 View Post
This is one i am looking at not sure if it will work
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=18845
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndayo101 View Post
steve i use the ceramic balls from axiommotors.com and it wurks! i just pop the balls from the thrust and replace it with ceramic. you can us also use there thrust bearing but use the old plate. the but if you need the original XRAY Carbide 3x8x3.5mm Ball Bearing Axial F3-8 i have brand new in a pack 15 shipped.:

these are the sizes
1 x 2.4mm Ceramic Balls (12pk) $10.95
1 x 1/16 Ceramic Balls (8pk.) $4.95

thanks carbon joe, kody, ngo8,johndayo101! we are just trying to see whats out there as we are new to xray cars. we actually have 2.4mm 3/32" diffs balls for the 009, its available at speedtechrc.net $7.99 per pack of 12 http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=689
this diff balls are very high quality & they are hand picked, measured & matched per pack to achieve optimal performance

we will also have balls for thrust bearings next week.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo416 View Post
Would these work? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...st-Bearing-Set

If so what rings can be used in replacement of the old ones?
i heard xray rings are pretty good, R1wurks is currently working on a better diff ring to improve currently available diff performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
losa3018 should work. avidrc has a thrust for $3 too.

I've only run the xray thrusts and diff rings/balls to date.
R1wurks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #1965
Tech Regular
 
sm1nts2escape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 444
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Who has tried the xray 38t conversion?How did it change the car?Thinking about purchasing it today.Thanks
sm1nts2escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC equipments for Sale ijnek Malaysian R/C Racers 22836 09-09-2009 02:50 PM
Xray T2 009 is here FK05 lover Australian Racing 436 08-02-2009 03:41 AM
RaceCraft TC Challenge Kylelim Singapore R/C Racers 119 07-03-2009 09:08 AM
Brushless touring car Salt Air Electric On-Road 9 04-20-2009 04:45 AM
Mana nak beli Xrayt2'009 tq9911 Malaysian R/C Racers 131 04-14-2009 11:10 PM
Wanna start elec this year, need help gentleman81 Electric On-Road 20 02-21-2009 02:15 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:30 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net