R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-31-2008, 05:20 AM   #1
Tech Master

Default Best chassis to setup and driving

Could somebody make a favor, please!
In the case I am totally frustrated with my TRF415MSX to be so much old and uncompetitive among other cars on the same concrete track
I am still not sure which chassis to buy, maybe waiting until newer ones coming into the market, anyway just make a judgement with the actual ones.
From the list below, of course also another ones instead of these, which chassis is easiest to find setup from low grip and dirty condition:

TRF416

HB Cyclone TC

Yokomo BDM

Xray t2008

AE TC5R

-Then another thing, in the case i have seen somebody in the race are using some unkown Tamiya slicks, then his car run so well, i know those tyre is Tamiya just because the wheel, then nothing more, could somebody help me, please?

Honestly, i have tried already RP, Sorex and Jaco, but none of them fit myself.
Anymore another set of tyre could suggest to run on dusty, old, over brushed concrete track, please?

Best regards
mac853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac853 View Post
I still not sure wich chassi i want to buy, maybe waiting until newer ones coming into the market, anyway just make a judge the actual ones.
From the list below, of course also another ones instead of these, which chassis is easiest to find setup from low grip and dirty condition:

TRF416

HB Cyclone TC

Yokomo BDM

Xray t2008

Best regards
I would say from my experience that a top scythe would come in first which uses suspension from the hb cyclone tc. but you did not list that one but after that im not sure about the yokomo but 416 and cyclone basically same same. but probably forget the xray for low grip. but i do know the scythe with the plastic centre u brace and the soft plastic arms grips up anywhere and is almost always a great drive. But thats my opinion and its your choice. but 416 and cyclone definately good!!
!!And an idiot with a controller!!
decibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Purely from what I have observed from the local tracks (we still have quite a lot of "slippy floor" racing locally which is very low grip), the XRAY and the HB can be a handful because they tend to oversteer.

The Yokomo and Tamiya tend to understeer so are a bit easier to drive when grip is low.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Schumacher Mi3.0 and Mi3.5 FTW!
Probably one of the most easy to work on high end cars out there. You can tell that the engineers took into account that a car is useless if you cannot work on it easily.

Tony
under200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

I am biased toward the cyclone but the 008 xray is a nice car as well. To me though the trf415msx isn't that outdated of a car and has been around just as long as the cyclone and t2 xray cars. It sounds to me its more about your driving and setup that your having a problem with.

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
shadow102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:13 AM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Purely from what I have observed from the local tracks (we still have quite a lot of "slippy floor" racing locally which is very low grip), the XRAY and the HB can be a handful because they tend to oversteer.

The Yokomo and Tamiya tend to understeer so are a bit easier to drive when grip is low.
I don't understand so your opinion, so you mean Yokomo and Tamiya are nice just to "tend to understeer".
What about Xray and HB is meant as "handful because they tend to oversteer".
Would mind to make better explain, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
I am biased toward the cyclone but the 008 xray is a nice car as well. To me though the trf415msx isn't that outdated of a car and has been around just as long as the cyclone and t2 xray cars. It sounds to me its more about your driving and setup that your having a problem with.
My MSX has problem on selection on tyres and running with spool, instead of mostly people running double diffs. The guys took off their spools, switched for little more steer.
Even i need front diff, but i didn't buy it, just because i am boring with my car which using since year 2006, i want have a new car rather than spend money for old car.

My other problem is switching tyres, could somebody suggest anymore tyres could fix problems. As watched someguys are using Tamiya wheels, i am doubtly as they are using tyres from this brand, but somebody could guess what tyres would they are using, please?

Last edited by mac853; 10-31-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

What compound is everyone running at the track? What do the track temps look like? Sounds to me like a $40 front diff will be cheaper than buying a $400 car and assuming you don't buy a 416 still needing to buy spares for it

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
shadow102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
What compound is everyone running at the track? What do the track temps look like? Sounds to me like a $40 front diff will be cheaper than buying a $400 car and assuming you don't buy a 416 still needing to buy spares for it
Look Shadow, even 2 races remaining to end season, i just give up to race anymore until next year, so now i am starting o find a better chassis, of course also another kinds, which fit me and the track.
I just want to "understand" much better the actual track to preparing for next year with my old 415, and i have to remember 1 thing, i just missed first 2 races of season. So you could understand how unprepared i am.

About the track temps, just because is outdoor, it depends which month to race, but i could garantee mostly time is almost or more than 30C, if don't rain before.

About which compound is so variety, then i have tried a lot, but still unsucessful:RP30 36 40, Sorex 32r 36r 40r then later i tried Jaco BL and GRE, but unfortunately the newer version compound doesn't match the old dish wheel version ones, so now i become so "unguided" and "lost way"about the "troublesome" to switching tyres.
Last time i saw someguy is using Tamiya slick/radials(not sure), i don't ask just because the people hide always their secrets, so problem is here.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi,

A better/different chassis is not going to make things any easier.
You have a wonderful platform to work off of--a 415msx is an amazing car.

Infact, any competition worthy car is going to be similarly good, and the whole point of owning a car at that level is adjustability (for the most part anyhow!).

Considering that, the car is perfectly suited to your conditions, and as previously stated, it's merely setup.

Could you perhaps post your setup, and we'll step in and help out.

Also, explain the handling characteristics of your car right now. I'm assuming that since it's a low traction surface, you are understeering/pushing?

Try increasing the rear droop, increasing rear roll center and move the front shocks to a more inner top mounting location.

As well, you will need to run softer springs. Try running more front ackerman.

without more information, there's not much to suggest. BUT I can assure you that there is a magnitude of things that you can do to your car to improve the situation.
boro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rctouringracer

The MSX is not an outdated vehicle. Sure there are a couple new models that have come out since the MSX's introduction, but you have to look at Tamiya and way they introduce new parts.
As the new parts become availiable Tamiya introduces the new cars featuring the new parts and nothing more.
It doesn't mean that the new parts are going to make you faster it just means you have more parts to choose from to update the vehicle you have.
It is my opinion that in the right conditions the 415 is more competitive then the 416 and vice versa.
Sounds like your just wanting a new ride and there is nothing wrong with that, but remember with a new ride comes a new learning curve and you may actually be stepping backwards before you can go forward.
You may want to consider figuring out what tires work at your track and spend a little more on the set-up of your MSX, after all the MSX is fully adjustable and are tons of parts out on the market to personalize and customize the car to your driving style.
As for new cars I would wait until after the IFMAR race to see whats new coming our way!
rctouringracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:07 PM   #11
Tech Master

I tried the 415 and the 416, but the TA05 seems to be the best for me in 13.5+ outdoor asphalt. It's awesome to beat CF cars with a plastic tub. If want new, wait for the 416WC. I'm gonna be checking that one out. Not much of a diff, but eh, I want it
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:01 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

are you racing on a tire controlled event? or you race with any tires? if tire selection is not an issue, you could use the HPI pirelli tires D compound from tower hobbies. yes it is a rally tire, but ill assure you that you will have the grip that you would want on a dirty concrete surface, u wont even need a tire warmer for this. all the guys im racing with switch to this type of tire because of the grip generated by this tires on a dusty surface. even on asphalt.
berserk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctouringracer View Post
The MSX is not an outdated vehicle. Sure there are a couple new models that have come out since the MSX's introduction, but you have to look at Tamiya and way they introduce new parts.
As the new parts become availiable Tamiya introduces the new cars featuring the new parts and nothing more.
It doesn't mean that the new parts are going to make you faster it just means you have more parts to choose from to update the vehicle you have.
It is my opinion that in the right conditions the 415 is more competitive then the 416 and vice versa.
Sounds like your just wanting a new ride and there is nothing wrong with that, but remember with a new ride comes a new learning curve and you may actually be stepping backwards before you can go forward.
You may want to consider figuring out what tires work at your track and spend a little more on the set-up of your MSX, after all the MSX is fully adjustable and are tons of parts out on the market to personalize and customize the car to your driving style.
As for new cars I would wait until after the IFMAR race to see whats new coming our way!
Well, i am just boring with that car and another kinds, i lost the taste of racing, so i must to find the racing with more fun with new things.
In the case our organizers are also terrible with: track installations, drivers driving behaviour judgement and technical scrutineering, sometimes i felt unfair with the results with some tyranny and cheatable drivers.
About the settings, I am convinced i am still not found the better tyre compound and the best setup to fit myself just, but i have also to understand i left already saturated within 3 years with same car.
So i want to buy new car, not only, but also the batteries and other electronics kinds to having more fun in the race, just to beginning anything again from zero to have another race tactic and play mode, but off course i need the suggest from anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk View Post
are you racing on a tire controlled event? or you race with any tires? if tire selection is not an issue, you could use the HPI pirelli tires D compound from tower hobbies. yes it is a rally tire, but ill assure you that you will have the grip that you would want on a dirty concrete surface, u wont even need a tire warmer for this. all the guys im racing with switch to this type of tire because of the grip generated by this tires on a dusty surface. even on asphalt.
I am racing in free tyre choice rules, but i still can't find the best tyres for myself even so much people found for themselves.
Those pirelli tyres is so much bulky, like rally tyres, i guess Advan A038 or maybe 26mm X-pattern work better, isn't it?
From these 2 i prefer more Advan, just because is easy to find insert just to be 24mm, but the problem is hard to find these radial tyres in any place.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I already tried the x pattern but it wont stick to a dusty concrete surface , for clean asphalt surface the x pattern will do good. but for the pirelli tires it will work on both clean and dirty surfaces. Im using it on my trf415. but dont used the pirelli tires on a clean high speed track.
berserk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu

get serpent s400...noneed setup at all......suitable for all track condition....