R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-31-2008, 04:12 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re-sealing carbon chassis

I want to re-seal/re-finish my Cyclone chassis to get rid of some of the rigors of outdoor asphalt racing. Is there any particular product that would be preferred or should I just go with a clear laquer? Thanks!
SpeedySST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
Tech Adept

have you thought about a layer of fibre glass.carbon fibre is made a similar way and then layered like a laminate isnt it why dont you google it and find out from carbon fibre manufacturers before you do anything
Old 10-31-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

SpeedySST,

I restored an old used RC12L that had a graphite chassis about a year and a half ago. To freshen up the well worn chassis plate, and keep it from flaking and splintering apart I knew I needed put some sort of coating on the bottom. I used gap filling CA glue, wax paper, and two pieces of glass that were just bigger than the chassis.
-I laid one piece of glass on a table.
-Then a layer of waxpaper (larger than the chassis of course) on top of the glass. Ensure the wax side is facing up.
-Then the chassis, top side down, on top of the wax paper.
-THen ooze the CA glue onto the bottom of the chassis over the whole chassis. Don't over do it, but ensure in the end you have complete coverage over the whole bottom of hte chassis.
-THen another piece of wax paper, wax side down onto the glue.
-THen the second piece of glass on top of the second piece of wax paper.
-Finally, place a tall stack of books, weights, or something else pretty heavy on top of this sandwich you just created.

It will take about a week to fully cure, but when it does, all of the damage will be nicely filled in, and the bottom of your chassis will look almost new. You will probably need to trim any excess glues that squeegied out, and counter sink the holes agian, but in all it doesn't take much time to prepare, and the results are very good. I've been very happy with how mine came out.

Bladeszx2
bladeszx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Clear laquer works great, you can do several coats while sanding in between, to get a good glossy smooth finish.
rtherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

A friend of mine actually used automotive clear coat on his carbon fiber chassis. The neat thing was he added a small amount of purple pearl to the clear for a subtle effect.
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:03 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I might go for the automotive route. One would think that it would be a very tough coating. Thanks for the advice guys!!
SpeedySST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:22 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Default I've also used spray polyurethane

The same one used for re-finishing hard-wood floors. Its just slightly yellow
rsperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:26 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yes, an auto two part clear coat would be even better (Although lacquer used to be used for cars back in the seventies,it is susceptible to solvents) The two part clear cures like an epoxy... you'll need to mix it correctly and work quickly it cures very fast...Use in well ventilated area also very noxious. Good busy body shops are clearing cars on a daily basis you could probably get it done for a case of beer...
rtherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:12 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtherbe View Post
Yes, an auto two part clear coat would be even better (Although lacquer used to be used for cars back in the seventies,it is susceptible to solvents) The two part clear cures like an epoxy... you'll need to mix it correctly and work quickly it cures very fast...Use in well ventilated area also very noxious. Good busy body shops are clearing cars on a daily basis you could probably get it done for a case of beer...
Good point. Just make sure the chassis is clean of all grease, oil, and any other stuff which could ruin the finish. You may want to allow the clearcoat to cure for a few days before reassembling the chassis. Also check all the screw holes and countersinks so they are not clogged with clearcoat.
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote