Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-31-2008, 12:08 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
1. new rotor
2. new motor

Some guys claim if you hook a BL motor up to a CE turboDyno with the esc inline to the motor, and hit the throttle as you hit the start button you can dyno a BL motor. I have not seen this personally, but supposedly oval guys have tried it...
Who's going to keep throwing money at rotors if they get a dud more than once. A whole motor isn't cheap. There were solutions in the brushed game. I guess we'll have to wait for the rotor zapper to become available
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:57 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Free-running motors with SP Power Analysis gadget doesn't give you very much information imho. You should be able to put a load on the motor, for an example an airplane propeller. The 3.175mm mounts for a propeller are available. You won't get torque result number, but you can compare different rotors, motors, escs... Only question is how many amps does it handle/measure?

Haven't yet myself done it to car brushless motors, but it should work like described.

IMHO the SP Power Analysis is only a rpm-monitor, servo tester, voltage and current meter in one box. It probably can't display RPM when sensorless motors are being measured!? With sensored motor you get RPM from the sensor-wire.

I would very much like to know how many amps does it measure?! I'm hoping its using at least 100A shunt inside the "power box"...

Last edited by lauri; 10-31-2008 at 03:19 AM.
lauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:40 AM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_67

Would the Fantom Facts Machine still be a viable option?
Since it has a flywheel that attaches to the motor, it seems like it would work just as well with brushless as it would with brushed.
Paul_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:37 AM   #19
Tech Rookie

The Eagletree setup does the same and more (like GPS speed and temps) for cheaper.
SidewaysLS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:07 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_67 View Post
Would the Fantom Facts Machine still be a viable option?
Since it has a flywheel that attaches to the motor, it seems like it would work just as well with brushless as it would with brushed.

I've used the Fantom dyno a little and it works but it's not the best. I think that they're working on a brushless version for early next year. The Turbodyno also works fine. Neother of the dyno's above likes anything above about a 10.5 because of the RPM that they turn and power that they make down low.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:52 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

My thoughts are, on the SP device is just the same as the MM Motor Dyno, or any no load motor checker. You buy a motor, spin it up, run it on the track and after you own it and it starts to feel bad, spin it up and see how the performance is again. Any motor Dyno is a guide, not law. Even when I had a Fantom dyno, and chopped springs, switched brushes, stroked it nicely and played with the bushings, a crap motor is a crap motor. You are only using it to find out what numbers makes a good motor, and to verify consistant performance. The best part to me is, is if I have a good motor I know how it performs on the dyno and track, then when I am thinking it is garbage I can verify that fact.