R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #316
Tech Fanatic
 
b-man777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MA.
Posts: 938
Default 12th worlds

hey all: Looks like the '08 ifmar worlds 12th scale race is being run outdoors so why not indoors like the last ifmar 12th race were 12th pan cars do better on? Is it just because they had the space to do it indoors at the '06 12th worlds race. Also i saw a pic of a kyosho 12th pancar that some said was just a 12r5 with red parts will we see this avalible in the usa? Thanks
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #317
Tech Fanatic
 
b-man777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MA.
Posts: 938
Default 12th worlds

hey all: Looks like the '08 ifmar worlds 12th scale race is being run outdoors so why not indoors like the last ifmar 12th race were 12th pan cars do better on? Is it just because they had the space to do it indoors at the '06 12th worlds race. Also i saw a pic of a kyosho 12th pancar that some said was just a 12r5 with red parts will we see this avalible in the usa? OOOPS sorry for the double post Thanks
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #318
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: the burbs of detroit
Posts: 882
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
This is why we don't put a lot of emphasis on this race. So you win this race on a surface no one runs on with tires that don't work anywhere else. How does that help us out? Monday morning everyone will be back to running yellows and double pinks. If we won I would be happy, don't get me wrong, but this in no way drives our sales. Bragging rights only.
I also believe the tire game at the worlds is used to mask the real reason for an advantage...tire sauce. If everyone thinks you have a special tire, they are too concerned about that to pay attention to what is in the bottle. Just a theory.
Well put Jack. Reminds me of Worlds in Florida where we were sitting across from Hara. He had the "special" bottle of rubber tire additive that he would wipe on the tires before he would put the tire warmers on. Just by watching him for hours we caught him taking a swig from it. He asked us not to tell as he showed us the water bottle he was pouring it from. It was also interesting to see the different ways the "sunblock" was applied to tires. But I do remember the "special" tires Hara was running at Worlds in '04, I know I was truing them. The joys of being a pit b$$$h.

Though watching Masami and the Yokomo mechanics was insane as it was a new chassis and complete rebuild after every run.
Brian Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #319
Tech Addict
 
Adam?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ohhh, that guy...
Posts: 639
Default

More and more, the emphasis in R/C racing seems to be on making the gear spec, getting away from the special/secret stuff, and focusing on car setup and driving. It's hard to get into going back to the old way I guess.
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #320
Tech Regular
 
MartinSorlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oslo, Norway!
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man777 View Post
Also i saw a pic of a kyosho 12th pancar that some said was just a 12r5 with red parts will we see this avalible in the usa?


I'd say that's a T-bar car, if this is the one your thinkin' of...
__________________
Martin Sørlie, 1985, R/C since 1995.
TLR - Spektrum
www.teamsmallsize.com
MartinSorlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #321
Tech Elite
 
mafiaracers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: West Linn, Oregon
Posts: 3,759
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers
Default

Why doesn't the worlds become a spec race? Shouldn't the world championships be more about celebrating the skill of a driver than the fantastically expensive and one-off equipment used to win it?

I'd be more impressed with a race where chassis was open, but everything in the car was hand-out spec. Handout tire, motor, lipo, servo, esc and even overall weight. then it would come down to which manufacturer REALLY had the better car and which driver REALLY had the skills because if this 14 year old wins because he has the hook-up on tires that no one else had, that's BS in my opinion.

Not starting a pissing match, but it's just my thought.
__________________
Chris Woods

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #322
Tech Champion
 
Matt Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Abilene TX
Posts: 5,952
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

the worlds has always been about one-off cars, electronics, tires, whatever. Although it always seems that Yokomo has the only source of tires that work on asphalt, not just this worlds but in just about every past 1/12 worlds on asphalt.
__________________
Official member of The Guild of Calamitous Intent and proud supporter of Conjectural Technologies.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #323
Tech Regular
 
beavis353's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 308
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
This is why we don't put a lot of emphasis on this race. So you win this race on a surface no one runs on with tires that don't work anywhere else. How does that help us out? Monday morning everyone will be back to running yellows and double pinks. If we won I would be happy, don't get me wrong, but this in no way drives our sales. Bragging rights only.
I also believe the tire game at the worlds is used to mask the real reason for an advantage...tire sauce. If everyone thinks you have a special tire, they are too concerned about that to pay attention to what is in the bottle. Just a theory.

Interesting comments. Doesnt the lack of emphasis on the Worlds have a negative impact on any of the drivers who are required to use your products? I absolutely agree about tire sauce. LOTs of stuff out there.
beavis353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:09 PM   #324
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,991
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
the worlds has always been about one-off cars, electronics, tires, whatever. Although it always seems that Yokomo has the only source of tires that work on asphalt, not just this worlds but in just about every past 1/12 worlds on asphalt.
I loved it when Yokomo had the only sedan tire that worked at the Reedy back at Ripon. The 138G changed my life
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #325
Tech Addict
 
trickd122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 509
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaracers View Post
Why doesn't the worlds become a spec race? Shouldn't the world championships be more about celebrating the skill of a driver than the fantastically expensive and one-off equipment used to win it?

I'd be more impressed with a race where chassis was open, but everything in the car was hand-out spec. Handout tire, motor, lipo, servo, esc and even overall weight. then it would come down to which manufacturer REALLY had the better car and which driver REALLY had the skills because if this 14 year old wins because he has the hook-up on tires that no one else had, that's BS in my opinion.

Not starting a pissing match, but it's just my thought.


Much like any other form of racing, there is an elite group (eg. F1) premiering as you mention the driver's still but allows for the world to see the ingenuity of the companies that were employed by. Lets be honest here for a minute, if you can afford to go to the worlds exotic tires and other misc equipment should not be an issue. Example you don't buy a Ferrari and complain about gas prices.

I do however understand your point and will continue to make reference to F1. The average person cannot buy an F1 prepared chassis. The F1 racing cars is really a venue for manufactures to debut new products and advances in engineering in that particular field. Excelling in this field surely does not hurt either. What wins on Sunday sells on Monday. Think of this, at the end of the day I still can't buy the same tires Bridgestone races.

As far as how this applies to us. Yes I believe that top level racers should be given the best equipment possible that any company can afford to give. I don't want company that is at the back of the pack. Win by any means necessary (withing the rules).
trickd122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #326
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

I essentially only have one or two guys there. They have all the variety of tires they will need, in enough quantity for the event. The expense and effort to go to the track and test tires in advance could never be justified. It's not that we aren't trying to win, it is simply not feasible to expend precious resources that can't be justified by an appreciable increase in sales.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #327
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,002
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

its nice to see the worlds is still about driving skills and innovation/design of cars and equipment. to see so many different designs and manufacturers fight it out is exciting to me.
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #328
Tech Regular
 
beavis353's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 308
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickd122 View Post
Much like any other form of racing, there is an elite group (eg. F1) premiering as you mention the driver's still but allows for the world to see the ingenuity of the companies that were employed by. Lets be honest here for a minute, if you can afford to go to the worlds exotic tires and other misc equipment should not be an issue. Example you don't buy a Ferrari and complain about gas prices.

I do however understand your point and will continue to make reference to F1. The average person cannot buy an F1 prepared chassis. The F1 racing cars is really a venue for manufactures to debut new products and advances in engineering in that particular field. Excelling in this field surely does not hurt either. What wins on Sunday sells on Monday. Think of this, at the end of the day I still can't buy the same tires Bridgestone races.

As far as how this applies to us. Yes I believe that top level racers should be given the best equipment possible that any company can afford to give. I don't want company that is at the back of the pack. Win by any means necessary (withing the rules).

Why has most of the racing world (both in R/C and F1) gone to a spec tire? F1 competitors have all identical tires to chose from, with the soft and stripped super soft. The TC Competition at the worlds will be spec tire.

I understand the worlds being a platform to showcase new product development, but with tires I feel they should be controlled. Just my $.02.
beavis353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #329
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

They need to control the traction compound too. It seems to be worse on asphalt than carpet for some reason. Personally, I think Masami has dominated because they run 1/12 almost exclusively on asphalt in Japan. Most of the big name US drivers only run asphalt once a year over here. When we supplied every A-main driver with tires at the 1996 Worlds, Masami still won by a mile. He just really knows his stuff on asphalt. Obviously he is sharing some of his knowledge with his teammates.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #330
Tech Master
 
Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: I'm All Over The Place
Posts: 1,160
Default

Racing Isn't Supposed to Be Fair at this level. Life isn't fair either. For most of the world that isn't reading this thread, or hasn't happened across the other sites covering this, the winner will be the Car/Motor/Battery/Tire "Company" not the actual product used. In a few weeks, nobody will remember special sauce, secret what not, or the simple fact that a driver still had to go out and lay down a good run with the pressure of "throwing away" his world championship shot with his "far superior" technology......

hey Scotty! IS IT HOT?
__________________
Novak Electronics Tech Support
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
QCRCCC OFF-ROAD RACING emer Manila Racers 16543 04-08-2016 01:31 AM
Hong Nor / Jammin Products And RC Fans Thread plazma Malaysian R/C Racers 1717 04-02-2013 02:07 AM
IFMar Worlds '09..................Electric...... losidriver70 Electric Off-Road 57 02-05-2009 01:14 PM
Malaysian National Championship (MNC) 2008 KoE Malaysian R/C Racers 769 01-04-2009 09:35 PM
cabin fever race. badxlt Northwest Racers 642 07-08-2008 07:37 PM
TITC 2008 - Feb 22-24th @ RCS Bangkok Thaniland kentech Electric On-Road 144 03-12-2008 10:03 AM
2006 IFMAR World Championships 1/8 Buggy Offroad - Jakarta, Indonesia Hobby Peoples Indonesia Racing 101 10-27-2006 09:21 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:12 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net