R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Questions on 1/12 scale Carpet Knife (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/249414-questions-1-12-scale-carpet-knife.html)

V12 10-23-2008 05:00 PM

Questions on 1/12 scale Carpet Knife

After very long time I will run 1/12 scale again during winter. Just bought an used Carpet Knife (red version) at Ebay. I hope the car will arrive here before the first race.
I have some questions on this car. What servo will work in this car regarding dimensions? I want the servo completely centered so maybe not every small servo will fit perfectly.
I plan using a Futaba S9650 or one of the Savox heli-servos.
Is the Carpet Knife using a standard or low roll center at the rear pivot. Which version is better for carpet?

thekthai 10-23-2008 05:09 PM

mmm

servo 9650

GEN X is bettle

InspGadgt 10-23-2008 05:16 PM

The Carpet Knife does not come with the lower roll center kit. Typically you'll switch to that in lower traction conditions. For carpet you'll probably be better off with the stock setup.

chris moore 10-23-2008 07:18 PM

Yep S9650 is an excelent choice, and the CK comes with servo mounts that are adjustable so centering the servo is easy. About the roll center as your buying used it could have a low roll center installed, you'll have to wait and see when it arrives.

V12 10-24-2008 05:39 AM

Thanks for the information. I will just run on carpet, nobody here runs 1/12 scale outdoors.
For the body I will go with the Protoform Speed12, this seems to me like an universal body for all tracks and easy handling. What I noticed on some pictures it seems there is not very much room for the ESC below the body. Especially at the position for the ESC. How much is the max. height what could be used for the ESC?

chris moore 10-24-2008 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by V12 (Post 4973544)
Thanks for the information. I will just run on carpet, nobody here runs 1/12 scale outdoors.
For the body I will go with the Protoform Speed12, this seems to me like an universal body for all tracks and easy handling. What I noticed on some pictures it seems there is not very much room for the ESC below the body. Especially at the position for the ESC. How much is the max. height what could be used for the ESC?

The novak 4-cell GTB will fit as well as the LRP sphere, if your looking for a brushed only esc I'm not sure as I've been brushless for yrs now. As for the body you might want to get a speed8 body, its good on carpet here in the US. Also you can check this threadhttp://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...dy-off-16.html to see some of the esc's enstalled and get some wire/componets layouts.

InspGadgt 10-24-2008 11:41 AM

The Tekin RS will fit as well for a BL ESC, and it has a smaller footprint.

As for the servo mounts I'd get the non-adjustable ones from CRC. The holes in the chassis I believe are drilled for that sized servo so you shouldn't need the adjustable ones. I had a lot of problems with my adjustable ones slipping so went to the aluminum ones on mine.

V12 10-26-2008 05:52 AM

OK I did look at that 1/12 picture thread. It seems if I want using one of my Sphere ESC I have to remove the heatsink again, if this is possible without destroying something. Bying another highprice ESC is out of question, I just want running the 1/12 car as something of practice during winter not for serious racing as there will be just very few races. I think of maybe trying that cheap eZRUN ESC.

As for servo I have looked for the Futaba S9650 as mentioned before. I wonīt use a receiverbattery Iīm even not sure if this is allowed here currently. This means 4.8V or maybe less for the servo, isnīt this making the servo a little too slow? I now found out Futaba makes a highspeed version of the S9650 what I didnīt know before. This is the S9257 what is a lot faster just using different gears, talk of 0.06s vs. 0.010s anyone heard from this or is using this? This is what a lot of the heli guys are using for rear rotor or the Savox servos what are copies of the Futabas. Or is the S9650 really fast enough even on 4.8V?

bs6ef 10-26-2008 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by V12 (Post 4979022)
OK I did look at that 1/12 picture thread. It seems if I want using one of my Sphere ESC I have to remove the heatsink again, if this is possible without destroying something. Bying another highprice ESC is out of question, I just want running the 1/12 car as something of practice during winter not for serious racing as there will be just very few races. I think of maybe trying that cheap eZRUN ESC.

As for servo I have looked for the Futaba S9650 as mentioned before. I wonīt use a receiverbattery Iīm even not sure if this is allowed here currently. This means 4.8V or maybe less for the servo, isnīt this making the servo a little too slow? I now found out Futaba makes a highspeed version of the S9650 what I didnīt know before. This is the S9257 what is a lot faster just using different gears, talk of 0.06s vs. 0.010s anyone heard from this or is using this? This is what a lot of the heli guys are using for rear rotor or the Savox servos what are copies of the Futabas. Or is the S9650 really fast enough even on 4.8V?

Hi V12

the S9650 servo is fast enough for 12th scale, it is probably one of the most popular servos.

If you want to run your lrp esc with heatsink on try using a Corally merc. closed cock pit shell, if you mount it properly you MIGHT have enough room to mount the esc.

steve

V12 10-27-2008 02:47 PM

I think I will try removing the heatsink from the LRP Sphere ESC. So I could use the Protoform Speed 12 then. Just hope removing the heatsink is possible without damaging anything.

CypressMidWest 10-28-2008 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by V12 (Post 4984032)
I think I will try removing the heatsink from the LRP Sphere ESC. So I could use the Protoform Speed 12 then. Just hope removing the heatsink is possible without damaging anything.

Many racers mill down the heat sink, but it is possible to remove it after installation.

V12 11-02-2008 02:31 AM

The car still is on the way, just hope it will arrive this week as the race is next weekend.
OK I will remove the heatsink then instead of buying another ESC.

For the servo one of the Savox servos is on the way to me, if the heli guys are right this will be the same as a Futaba 9650 with some improvements. This means middlepart of the case made from aluminium and extended voltage range. Beside this same specs and dimensions as the 9650.

After searching on the Net Iīm still unsure what tires to choose for carpet. I donīt want buying a box of tires right at the beginning. Is there a tire combination what should work on any carpet track? I think we will have medium to highbite carpet from what I hear. As for brand I will go with Jacos, these seem well priced and the easiest to find here. Any suggestions? If this is important I will run a 9.5T brushless as this is the new spec motor here replacing the 19T brushed now. But should be somewhat faster than 19T I think.

V12 11-02-2008 02:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Regarding bodies I found this one here. Is this a regular Protoform Speed 12 or anything other?
I think the Parma sticker could be misleading here.

scootr117 11-02-2008 04:24 AM

I milled 2.3 mm off the bottom of the LRP heatsink and it fits well...BUT after running the car without one and monitoring the temps.....I never put it back on....and as a side note<> the tape that attaches the heatsink to the speedo top is a "special" heat transfer type.....computer supply stores carry it.........

JoelV 11-02-2008 06:34 AM

That body is a parma. It is a parma speed8hd.