R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Installing foam donuts?

I was looking at installing new foam on my 1/12th rims. Has anyone done it and is it worth doing it? What tools are needed to slip the foams onto the rim. Thanks for anybody's advice in advance.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

I'd just buy the premounts. Much neater and easier.

To mount tires, you need a cone (tire horn) that goes over the rim to expand the rubber. I think Kimbrough made the tire horn. I used Delta Tire Glue when I used to do it. Coat the rim and inside of tire with glue. Dip (not soak) both in a jar of laquer thinner and assemble using the tire horn. Let it dry. Soak old rims and tires in the thinner to get the rubber off.

Good Luck,

Andy
agholub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agholub View Post
I'd just buy the premounts. Much neater and easier.

To mount tires, you need a cone (tire horn) that goes over the rim to expand the rubber. I think Kimbrough made the tire horn. I used Delta Tire Glue when I used to do it. Coat the rim and inside of tire with glue. Dip (not soak) both in a jar of laquer thinner and assemble using the tire horn. Let it dry. Soak old rims and tires in the thinner to get the rubber off.

Good Luck,

Andy

Yep but you dont have to have the tire horn, just makes it easier. I did some recently for my old two bolt axle, just use contact cement instead of the delta glue. Works great.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

RC Guy,

Post #2 and #3 are both good replies to your question for standard mounting of foams. There is another way though. I have shown this to some locals in my area a few years ago and they loved it. Very little mess and does not take very long to do.

1. Remove old donuts from rims using the soaking method or grinding off with a tire truer to the rim. The grinding style is my perferred method. Scratch up the rims very lightly on the mounting surface. This helps the glue slightly.
2. Mount a (dry) fresh tire onto the (dry) rim, and center it the best as you can. In most cases the tires will have some overhang which is good. Just do your best to get the tire lined up properly. The (dry) part means no glue or anything apllied to the tire or rims yet. This comes in step 4.
3. This is crucial. Buy some Slow Jet CA from your local hobby store. In my opinion it has to be Slow Jet and nothing else. The reason is the other glues dry too quickly and you hardly have any time to work with the tire. With Slow jet you have a few minutes to work the glue and get the extra wiped out and off the tire/rim.
4. So after you have the glue and the tire/rim lined up you stick the nozzle into the rim area below the foam about half way into it. Squeeze the glue out of the bottle gently and start working the bottle in a circular way around the rim. You are still trying to squeeze gently on the bottle, do not pull the bottle out yet. Pull the bottle out only after you can move the nozzle around the entire rim 5 to 6 complete times. What's happening is you have applied glue to the surface, and the nozzle has helped spread it around, and also because the glue takes 10 to 15 minutes to start bonding, its not drying yet so you can get it spread over the rim and get great coverage.
5. Pull the nozzle out and with a towel or shop rag carefully wipe off the excess glue and clean it up the best you can. I perfer to use the strong blue paper towels you can buy for about 2.50 a roll at Auto parts stores.
6. Set that tire aside for 20 minutes. You have only glued 1/2 of the tire at this point. So do a different tire next. Get all 4 tires done now.
7. After 20 minutes has passed, grab the first tire and do the opposite end of the original tire. By now the first side that you did has bonded and you can only push the nozzle into the tire to about the middle part of it. Repeat what you have done already to this tire and the three others.
8. Wait about an hour and you can now true the tires. I used to try to wait two hours if I had the time.

The glue, Jet is the brand name, Slow was a descriptor of the type of glue. They have Fast Jet, Jet, and Slow Jet. You want SLOW JET. It was sold in a clear bottle with a red label. Ask any questions if your confused.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have glued many a tire in my day and post 2 and 3 are the way to go, you can use the top of a wd40 can as a tire horn. Coat both the tire and rim let it setup. I have a spray bottle with thinner in it, spray rim and set wd40 cap on top spray inside tire and slide onto rim,let dry overnight and true tire then you are ready to go.
Mike's Hobbyshop in Dallas (RIP)
Nor-Cal Hobbies [The Race Place]
tpczx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've seen Chicky from Parma mount tires in a similar manner before. It works great!
Old 10-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc guy View Post
I was looking at installing new foam on my 1/12th rims. Has anyone done it and is it worth doing it? What tools are needed to slip the foams onto the rim. Thanks for anybody's advice in advance.
as for cost I do not think its worth it anymore I used to do 50+ sets at a time now you can get tires for 9.99 at most places so the time spent and the cost of new is not all that bad. you will spend more time cleaning up old rims and trying to get the glue off your fingers then its worth.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
Yep but you dont have to have the tire horn, just makes it easier. I did some recently for my old two bolt axle, just use contact cement instead of the delta glue. Works great.
Hey Chris have you used all the trc parts yet???

ok back to post
Old 10-23-2008, 02:52 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

Default Compressed Air Foam

A Compressed Air Foam System for hand hose, abbreviated CAFS, is a system used in firefighting to deliver fire retardant foam for the purpose of extinguishing a fire or protecting unburned areas from becoming involved in flame.
============================================
Harry
Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.
[email protected]
harry2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:51 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default tyres

Interested in the donuts -Who stocks the donuts?
yeahyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Stormer Hobbies sells them. There are others but as on an earlier post said the donuts cost around $8.00 a pair and a new set will cost a couple of dollars more. I suppose if you had the time and a certain type of foam you prefer it may be worth doing your own. I may try to do a few of my own just to say I have but will probably just keep the light on at Stormer a little longer. Thanks for everyone replies.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahyeah View Post
Interested in the donuts -Who stocks the donuts?
Last time I checked Calandra Racing Concepts (CRC) also sells them.

Steve
Old 10-23-2008, 01:10 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Are these jelly filled?
Old 10-24-2008, 01:32 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gain Time View Post
Are these jelly filled?
Was that comedy? Tip, don't quit your day job.

Steve
Old 10-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Was that comedy? Tip, don't quit your day job.

Steve
I agree.....I make lotsa money!!