R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-02-2004, 05:00 PM   #1351
Tech Elite

Josh, I was reading your article on tuning nitro engines here recently and wanted to check with you something: when you said "First off, I raise the idle about ¼ a turn from where it was previously run." in the second paragraph, are you referring to the idle speed screw of the LSN (Low Speed Needle)?

Seondly, what gap in the carb (barrel idle gap) do you start with?

The other question is do you find running hot, mid or cold plugs better with 25% nitro?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2004, 08:45 PM   #1352
Tech Fanatic

Sup Josh....Nice to see ya again at the Reedy and thanks for trying out the new P-Dub Racing bumper. Let me know how everything mounts and holds up when you get a chance to move some cars with it...LOL

BTW: P-Dub Racing will be offering some other Xray items in the near future...shoot me an e-mail if your ever interested [email protected]

C-ya at the Nats
PW
Old 06-02-2004, 09:48 PM   #1353
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Josh-Learning a lot with the Xray. Found out just how bad a car can handle when the rear diff is to tight!! The diffs make a much bigger difference on the Xray than the Tc3 for some reason.

Also-all the changes I posted a while back made the car rotate a lot harder on exit. It actually is rotating a tad too much on exit for stock. Would a stiffer frnt spring (I am running Violet front and back) or a tad softer rear spring have less corner exit rotation? Also-could this steering feeliong be caused in stock by running the extensions on the steering knuckles. I didnt get to test taking them off.

I did go faster with the Xray and your set-up than with any other car by 0.3 seconds per lap.

Ray

Last edited by rayhuang; 06-02-2004 at 09:58 PM.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:11 AM   #1354

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Cyrul

Pro ten Holland - To be honest it would depend on the rules, I don't think they should be 6 cell anymore and I don't think they should follow the same dimensions as the old cars (width, lenght or body style). The old cars were much too fast and too big for the tracks we were trying to race them on. I would like to see the class come back but there would have to be many changes....

We run the pro ten cars in 12turn mod on tracks like these:
www.evmc.nl and www.amcaracing.nl. These are essentially large outdoor tracks where 1/8th nitro and even 1/5th scale are run. On these kind of tracks only the 1/8th nitro guys are faster than us, and only with a small margin, at four times the running costs. On small tracks I would also prefer a 1/12th car.

I like pan cars so much since they are much faster than touring cars, while costing less to start with as well as to maintain. Pan cars will also learn you to be a better driver.

What changes to the class would you like to see?
Old 06-03-2004, 05:17 PM   #1355
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
PSI Racing - I prefer the higher torque in my gas cars. I used to always choose the speed for the steering but after I tested a few different servos I then opted for the high torque as I liked the feel - less twitchy off center but it did seem to have more steering in the higher speed (higher load) corners. I'm not sure what Ralph uses...

Lonestar - Pretty much.

aviaar - In what class??

Pro ten Holland - To be honest it would depend on the rules, I don't think they should be 6 cell anymore and I don't think they should follow the same dimensions as the old cars (width, lenght or body style). The old cars were much too fast and too big for the tracks we were trying to race them on. I would like to see the class come back but there would have to be many changes....

John - On high traction carpet nearly all drivers choose the front differential. The spool and one-way are just too difficult to drive and do not yeild a much better lap time to make them nessisary. I do adjust the differential according to how much steering into the corner vs. on-throttle steering that I need. Usually my front diff is a bit heavy vs the rear that is only set tight enough so it does not slip.

Neil - Make sure you do next time!! I meet so many people it's hard to keep up!!!
Hey Josh, I dropped you an update email about my race through the CEFX website. I trust you received it?
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 07:52 AM   #1356
TLRacing

Yea I am still try to get that paint off the bottom of my chassis....lol....I guess I took out a spectator during that brillaint crash
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:07 AM   #1357
Tech Master

Evi - Nope, not a reason that I can tell!!

aviaar - I actually use the KO 2123 - it's the 7.2v fet servo that requires the external wire to be run to the speed control. It is too much if you are racing on rubber tires as I had to turn the steering curve to -15 at the Reedy Race but for foams it is amazing (I always try to run at 0 on the steering curve!!)....

Sow & Steady - In those paragraphs I am refering to one of three needles - bottom end needle, idle needle and the top end needle. Sorry if there was confusion. I don't ever measure the carb gap to start with as each engine will require a slightly different setting. Glow plugs depend totally on nitro content, air temperature and humidity so it's hard to pin down the perfect plug for the nitro percentage without the rest of the equation.

P-DUB - No problem!! Sounds good and I'll see ya at the Nats!!

Ray - I would just try taking some of the washers off of the rear hub carrier (less camber change) - This may settle the car down just enough in the middle and out for what you are looking for. I think you want to keep the steering extensions though - I tested with that more and I definatly will always have them on my car for carpet from now on!!

Pro ten Holland - I've raced on those tracks. The one in Apeldoorn was where the 235mm IFMAR Worlds were a few years back. The U.S. doesn't have tracks this size as most are much smaller. To make a come back here in the U.S. I think the cars would need 4 cells and smaller (almost 1/11) dimensions so they could race on the same tracks as 1/12 and TC currently do.

trackdesigner71 - I saw it, thanks.

Todd - That crash was brutal!! I don't know if you were mad but I wasn't...lol.. I was more in shock over how far we flew and the fact that we didn't break!! The paint is still on my chassis - I'm keeping it there as a rememberance - sometimes it's better to lift...lol... Later!!!
Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 AM   #1358
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Thanks again Josh! I will fashion up a new pair of extension pieces that will STAY PUT!! I kind-of-hacked up a set for testing.

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:23 PM   #1359
TLRacing

Josh-yea I was mad at first....then I was like...thats cool. LOL. Yea I think our ego's got into the way of that one.....if anything it was cool for people to watch. I wondering if anyone got it on video....sure would be funny to see.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:56 PM   #1360
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

What round was it in? We have all 32 invite races on the computer...
Old 06-06-2004, 09:54 AM   #1361
TLRacing

futureal-I think it was in the 4th round...not sure what race.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:14 AM   #1362
Tech Master

Ray - Sounds good!

Todd - I wasn't mad, I just couldn't believe I was in tech - during the race!!!...lol...

futureal - Look for a race with Todd and I - I think there were only 1 or 2. Look for a huge wreck coming onto the front straight - All I know is that I was on the outside and that was a bad place to be....lol..
Old 06-08-2004, 10:21 AM   #1363

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

Pro ten Holland - I've raced on those tracks. The one in Apeldoorn was where the 235mm IFMAR Worlds were a few years back. The U.S. doesn't have tracks this size as most are much smaller. To make a come back here in the U.S. I think the cars would need 4 cells and smaller (almost 1/11) dimensions so they could race on the same tracks as 1/12 and TC currently do.

Hi Josh, I think you have a good point there! I have given it a lot of thought lately. It was in the race at Apeldoorn where I saw the answer is already there: 200mm.
Let me explain: one of the German racers who race with us mistakenly bought an team associated rc10L2O. He thought it was a regular L2, but it was the oval car. Anyway, he outfitted it with a 200mm gas outlaw body and just raced it as is. He was very competitive, and even seemed to have some edge over the wide cars. Could this be the way to go? A narrow pan car isn't larger than a touring car, but still holds all the benifits of a pan car. Especially with 6cell stock, like on the 2004 USA Nationals exhibition race this class will be very fast, but not too fast too control on such a small track!
The narrow car fits all the rules laid out for the pro ten class, so no reason you can't run such a car, even the body seems to fit the rules. If not with the ROAR rules, you could look for a protoform 200mm P35 Nissan, that should work too.
What do you think?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:08 AM   #1364
Tech Initiate

Josh,

Nice job on the setup/tips section of your website. An excellent start!
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 11:16 AM   #1365
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

josh has his won website?? if so what is it
HEWITT is offline   Reply With Quote