R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-01-2004, 12:40 PM   #1231
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Setup question for Josh.

Hi Josh,

Was wondering if you could give me some setup advice?

I'm running on an indoor carpet track which is nice and smooth and has, seemingly, lots of grip.
I'm using 24R tyres which are working well. As my car was still sluggish (i.e. changing direction) with the hardest springs I could get from Tamiya (the car is an EVO III), I decided to get some associated ones. I went from some pretty hard springs (upto 30lbs).
I thought by starting off with the hardest springs on the car, I would get to the point where I would be losing grip due to the over-hard suspension. To my surprise, though, the car started traction rolling!
My knowledge is still pretty basic, but this would suggest that I have too much grip, no? So, basically, my question would be how do I know when to stop changing the springs for harder ones? should I use even harder springs until I get to the point where the car doesn't traction roll or loses grip?

At the moment, I've put on a realatively soft anti-roll bar to cure the traction roll, but I'm still now happy with the speed in which the car changes direction

The track I run at is very small and tight, so my thinking is that a quick reacting car would be best for this circuit.

Do you have any advice for me, Josh?

Thanks, Mark.

Last edited by markp27; 04-01-2004 at 12:45 PM.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 12:43 PM   #1232
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Re: Setup question for Josh.

markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 08:55 AM   #1233
Tech Elite

Josh, I noticed on your race report that you are running a front diff. Why did you opt for the diff vs the one way? BTW, nice work on the dremeling.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 09:01 AM   #1234
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

All that bimmer talk I had to chim in mines a 87 e30 325es 17 years old and I still love it!! the es models are nice cause they are fitted with the sports suspension. now if I could dial in my rc the same as the bimmer it would be nice
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 02:11 PM   #1235
Tech Adept

hi josh i was looking at your setup and read your report, i saw you were using 0 deg anti dive was it in the lower holes mid or upper. and can you sheed some light on the subject off spacers on the ball studs i never realy understood that part, i tought that would change the roll center and give more bite, but i have never tryed it
stankulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 07:51 AM   #1236
Tech Master

Evicerator - Reedy Race or maybe the Pre-Worlds??

nomaak - I've already made my entry and flight plans for the Speedline GP in Vegas.... I guess I won't be there...

Brian, Apl, RBLove - THanks!!!

TRL - I like tha batteries more forward on my car so I did run them in 3 forward and 3 back configuration. Xray is still testing several items and this was one.... In 1/12 I did struggle - my 1/12 car is awesome on low traction but I just don't have the knowledge of the front end set-up for high bite. It's hard to test for that too when the only time there is high bite is a big event!! The car was much better by the mains but it was too late - I was in the B....

Scrad - The factory kit is the evo2 - it has just been revised with several parts to make it much lighter, stiffer and carry better corner speed. My chassis was stiffer.

Chris - Thanks!! Now I get to try and play more catch up to you, Barry and the guys on rubber tires!!! See ya at the Pre-Worlds or Reedy Race!!

Martin - My set-up is posted on mytsn. If you want I will copy it overhere soon!!

markp27 - Try standing your shocks up (outer holes on the shock tower), this will increase your cars responce. Remember when you do this to decrease your springs (lbs). Also, what body style are you running?? This greatly changes a cars responce!!

Neil - We never run one-ways on carpet with foam tires - nearly impossible to drive (in modified). Sometimes we can run spools but when the traction is high they also are just too hard to drive.

stankulas - I ran the suspension mounts in the middle holes - no anti dive or kick-up. As far as the spacers under the ball studs - more spacers in the rear = more steering - higher roll center as well as more camber change give the car more steering. In the front it works a little different - if you raise it you do have a higher roll center, but you also have more camber change - with foam tires and the Orange outside ring of rubber the more camber change gives you more steering since the contact patch stays more on the purple or double pink part of the tire.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:58 AM   #1237
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to etzkev

Quote:
TRL - I like tha batteries more forward on my car so I did run them in 3 forward and 3 back configuration. Xray is still testing several items and this was one.... In 1/12 I did struggle - my 1/12 car is awesome on low traction but I just don't have the knowledge of the front end set-up for high bite. It's hard to test for that too when the only time there is high bite is a big event!! The car was much better by the mains but it was too late - I was in the B....
Josh, you should go to Larry's. There always is a good amount of bite there so you can do your tests on the C12.

-etzkev
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 08:12 AM   #1238
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Cyrul
Evicerator - Reedy Race or maybe the Pre-Worlds??

nomaak - I've already made my entry and flight plans for the Speedline GP in Vegas.... I guess I won't be there...

Brian, Apl, RBLove - THanks!!!

Scrad - The factory kit is the evo2 - it has just been revised with several parts to make it much lighter, stiffer and carry better corner speed. My chassis was stiffer.

Chris - Thanks!! Now I get to try and play more catch up to you, Barry and the guys on rubber tires!!! See ya at the Pre-Worlds or Reedy Race!!

Martin - My set-up is posted on mytsn. If you want I will copy it overhere soon!!

markp27 - Try standing your shocks up (outer holes on the shock tower), this will increase your cars responce. Remember when you do this to decrease your springs (lbs). Also, what body style are you running?? This greatly changes a cars responce!!

Neil - We never run one-ways on carpet with foam tires - nearly impossible to drive (in modified). Sometimes we can run spools but when the traction is high they also are just too hard to drive.

stankulas - I ran the suspension mounts in the middle holes - no anti dive or kick-up. As far as the spacers under the ball studs - more spacers in the rear = more steering - higher roll center as well as more camber change give the car more steering. In the front it works a little different - if you raise it you do have a higher roll center, but you also have more camber change - with foam tires and the Orange outside ring of rubber the more camber change gives you more steering since the contact patch stays more on the purple or double pink part of the tire.
Hey Josh, I got your email. Packet should be headed out Monday
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 09:36 AM   #1239
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Cyrul
Thanks Josh, we should try and get Ralph on this forum.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:43 AM   #1240
Tech Fanatic

Are you talking about Ralph Burch?
NitroHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:49 AM   #1241
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by NitroHead
Are you talking about Ralph Burch?
Yes
Old 04-03-2004, 01:40 PM   #1242
Tech Fanatic

I only asked because I don't know if he ever posts on any forums... Do you know of any forums where he posts?

I never even seen him post anything on MYTSN...
NitroHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 04:59 PM   #1243
Tech Adept

Ralph is out there some where reading posts under a different name some one should open a "ask Ralph Burch Jr"
Andrew Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 02:46 AM   #1244
Tech Fanatic

Josh what servos do you use in your 1/8 on-road and 1/10 nitro touring cars?
You wouldn't happen to know what servos Ralph Burch uses also would you?

Last edited by PSI Racing; 04-05-2004 at 03:39 AM.
PSI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:08 AM   #1245
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Drew, what about "Ask Rick James"...
Greg Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote