R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-13-2004, 06:33 PM   #1051
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Josh, I have a question about your car at the Novak race. Looking at this picture: http://www.rctech.net/events/novak20...ar_cyrul_2.jpg I see that on the steering blocks where they connect to the turnbuckles there looks like bits of carbon fiber and another set screw attached. I'm just wondering what does this do? Does it improve durability or does it have something to do with setup?

I'm hoping it improves durability, cause I've been going through steering blocks left and right, anything that would make them last longer I'd be willing to try!
psbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:36 PM   #1052
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TRL - We learned a lot about the CEFX car at the Birds and we are all working on a lot of ideas to get it perfect. There were 3 CEFX cars in the stock class and they all made the A (Ciccarello, Flack, Atomic), than in mod you had Spashett in the A, me in the B, and Josh in the C (Josh had to be awake the whole week building his 12th, and oval cars, I am amazed he could talk).

The car has a ton of steering but not with the loss of control. I ran the car with 1/4 degree of caster because as the traction came up the car starting digging too hard. We all went different directions on setup at this race, over the next couple of weeks I think we will get enough track time at our own tracks to pinpoint a std. setup for high traction carpet. I am finding that I am throwing a lot of setup knowledge out the window due to the new geometry this car brings, exciting stuff.

AE | Reedy | KO | Tekin | Powermaster | Avid | Upgrade | BCE | Paint by Smiley
David Joor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:44 PM   #1053
TRL
Tech Apprentice

David

thanks for the info on the cefx.. yeah I figured there would be alot of stuff going on with testing for this car..I think its a good a idea not to release it too early if you can make it better before production units are out!
TRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:46 PM   #1054
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default psbarger

I would think josh was trying for a different ackerman effect on his car. Some cars have an inner and a outer hole in line with each other, and other cars have a forward hole and a rearward hole. Does that make sense to you?

Anyways not trying to answer for Josh but he is away at the Gas WinterNats in Florida, he can answer for sure if he was up to something else.

Steve
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:26 PM   #1055
Tech Adept

Ralphy had the same thing on his car and its for durablity. The piece of carbon fiber is a front shock tower. Most of us here had been running the set screw to help with strength issues.
JohnnyRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 09:52 PM   #1056
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

PSBARGER :
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Cyrul
dderos2 - T-plate cars have aways been more consistant. I think they also generate more forward traction. I think this is why you see a lot of guys go fast in stock with pivot cars but most mod guys use t-bar cars... Stock doesn't need the forward bite, it just needs to be free and carry corner speed....

alien too - I just cut every other off of my front pulley. I DIDN"T CUT THE BELT!!! The extensions on my steering are actually pieces of the "foam tire" front shock tower cut off to fit. It gives the car less ackerman - more high speed steering....

Alex - [email protected]

Dave - No prob!!

whynot - I reccomend the Delta Lola - you have to get it from Delta Mfg. I have a link to their site on my www.cefx.net site. I would start with 35's on the front and rear. I'll run my tires down to 63mm in the front and 70mm in the rear. Once they are below that I don't run them anymore. You can adjust your droop according to your tire size (1mm droop = 2mm tire dia). I use a 5 cell AA pack - it's what Kyosho wanted us to use for the 1 hour main in Cinci... I'm glad you like the car!! Good Luck!!

429racer - Thanks for the info!!
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 09:53 PM   #1057
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyRingo
Ralphy had the same thing on his car and its for durablity. The piece of carbon fiber is a front shock tower. Most of us here had been running the set screw to help with strength issues.
Ahh, thanks alot. I think I'm gonna have to try that cause last week I literally broke 1 steering block a heat (and DNF'd because of it! ). I do have some aluminum steering blocks on the way, hopefully that'll solve the problem, but until then I'll try choping something up to see if I can beef up the composite ones.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:56 PM   #1058
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by 429racer
PSBARGER :
Thanks, I guess I'll leave it alone then. You posted that right while I was typing a reply to JohnnyRingo.

Even though it may not be the main point of it, it doesn't look like it can hurt durability, the mroe area the forces are distributed over the better....
Old 02-18-2004, 04:49 PM   #1059
Tech Master

Hey Guys!! I'm baaaacccckkkk!!! Post your questions and comments and I'll get to them. I'm not going to go back all the way through things so please re-post any questions... Sorry about this but it's just way too much for me to catch up with!!!
Josh Cyrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 04:50 PM   #1060
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally posted by trackdesigner71
Hey Josh you think I could have your base 12th scale stock setup?
Here's my question^^
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 05:26 PM   #1061
Tech Addict

There are a bunch of us at my track that run xrays. My setup seems to be the stiffest with 38lbs front and 28 lb rear springs 50wt front with all holes closed and 40wt rear with 2 clicks on the shocks. Camber links are middle bottom on the front and lower inside rear (camber bridge), longest wheel base with ~2* rear toe.

Other guys run essentially the stock setup, maybe a little stiffer. I didn't like it because the car really leaned into the corners and came close the traction rolling.

Is this a driving style thing or is there a benefit to running a softer setup with more angled and shorter camber links? When my car is working (not consistent, still learning TCs on carpet. 1st season in about 10 years... used to run 1/10 pan car) I can turn within 2 laps of TQ and show in the A main.

BTW, I think I'm getting close to a consistent, easy to drive setup - or is a stiffer setup less forgiving to driving line / smoothness errors?
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 05:55 PM   #1062
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

what bodies do u run on your different cars?

Thanks
Doug

Doug Smith

RC America - X-ray - Hudy - Motive
doug smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 06:40 PM   #1063
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Hi Josh,

Glad to see you survived the two weeks.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:59 PM   #1064
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Cyrul
Hey Guys!! I'm baaaacccckkkk!!! Post your questions and comments and I'll get to them. I'm not going to go back all the way through things so please re-post any questions... Sorry about this but it's just way too much for me to catch up with!!!
Hi Josh,

it was nice meeting you first at the 'Birds and then in Ft.Myers.

Sorry that you had such tough luck.

I just read your post to Mr.Salven on mytsn, maybe you wanna check my response to him as well .

What an arrogant pr!ck

You are a class act and I hope you gonna wax his sorry butt down in Brazil......
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:33 PM   #1065
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Josh, what are the changes could you make to the car to gain slow speed steering after doing the steering ackerman change to the car? Thanks Josh.
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote