Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Talkin' with Josh Cyrul

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Josh, I'm not trying to argue with you so don't take it that way... actually I just want to learn why I experienced this...

We race on a small tight carpet track with medium traction (at best) using TQ orange or Jack. I'm running your basic Nats setup with a stock FK chassis. The only things I have changed are swapping the Pepto bismol springs to the front and violets to the rear and the wheelbase stock cause the track is so tight. Stock motors, BTW.

With the front hinge pins flat I took the 3* blocks off and put 6* on and the car felt a lot better. My best laptime didn't really improve (.02) but my average laptimes were like .4 better. On a 31-32 lap track .4 average increase is very nice!!. As far as "feel", it felt more comfortable and seemed to steer harder which means I might have more room for improvement on best laptime just haven't taken advantage of it with my driving style. In fact, on the high speed turn it seemed to dig a little mid turn and hit the brakes so I probably needed to take a little D/R out but I didn't want to change anything going into the main... plus I always eat a pipe if I try to adjust that dang thumb wheel in the middle of a race!!

BTW- thanks for all the support on this thread as well as honesty on the body sponsorship. I read back a few pages when I got got my T1FK and collected plenty of useful information.

See ya at the "Birds if not sooner!!
Old 12-16-2004, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

John - For the Xray car which usually has an on-throttle push, the flat hinge pin and the 3 degree blocks will have more steering. Things do change as driving styles are different - I usually am off the throttle early and then back on the throttle before the apex. This is why my cars have to have a ton of on-throttle steering....

BigDog - Usually, 6 degree blocks will make the car less sensitive around the initial movement of the wheel - this could be why you like the feel better. Also, you are running on different tire traction which tends to be a bit more twitchy than Paragon but actually has less traction than Paragon once you are in the corner - the combination of track size and tire traction may be why you like the 6's better. The 6's will cause the car to dig in like you said and will cause the car to lift the inside rear tire - especially if traction is high...... Catch ya later!!
Old 12-16-2004, 10:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Josh - here's the setup I've run with my Factory Kit on high bite carpet using TQPlus additive:

Front: Double Pink Orange, camber links down and out, front shocks stood all the way up, XRay 33# springs, 0 on the Hudy droop gauge, XRay 30 wt oil with 2 holes open (adjustable,) ride hieght of 4.5mm, 6 degree blocks, no ackerman extensions.
1degree of toe out and -1.5 degrees of camber.
Rear: Double pinks, camber links in stock position, rear shocks mounted inside on bottom, three holes in from the outside on top, XRay 28# springs, 2 holes open, 2 on the Hudy droop gauge, 2 degrees of rear toe. -1.5 degrees of camber.

Running a stock motor, too, by the way.

The car has alot of initial turn in (my driving style is to let off early and turn in off power then power on about midcorner.) but scrubs speed during mid and exit cornering.

The car is almost too stuck - it scrubs off speed in midcorner and later and during really quick transitions through chicanes.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to dial in the car for the Novak race and I'm a little apprehensive about making drastic changes to the setup this close, though, if you can't make this one work, I may HAVE to switch.

Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
Old 12-16-2004, 02:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Old 12-16-2004, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

OK guys-this Saturday at Halo for some Modified action!!!

Ray
Old 12-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Josh...Thank you for all your hospitality this past few days....

You and Angel have an excellent facility there...keep up the good work....

I WILL BE BACK!!!!!!!SOON HOPEFULLY....and no thats not a threat...lol

Thanks again....and tell Bobby hes a wuss!!!!

Barry
Old 12-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Barry-would you leave me your motors to run Saturday-I'll cut the comms and ship em to you-honest I will

Ray
Old 12-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Rob - Try my Carpet Nats set-up off of www.cefx.net.... To be honest, I've tried a lot of your set-up and it was terrible...no offence... Front shocks in that position with a 33lbs spring will be extremely twitchy around center - 6 degree blocks will really scrub corner speed if you turn the wheels just a little bit too much - no ackerman extensions make the car twitchy around center, then push in high speed corners - inner position on the rear a-arm makes the car just push and roll way too much, to use that position you should be using at least a 30-33lbs spring but even still it's not as good as using the outer hole - 2 degrees toe is too much for stock, you should only be around 1-1.5 max - add at least 1 degree of camber in the rear. I usually run 2 in the front and 3 in the rear! Also, make sure you use a 1mm front bar - if you need more steering, grind it down to .7mm....
Old 12-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Hey B - No problem!! Next time I'll hopefully actually have work done and cars to play with so I can crash into ya!!!
Old 12-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Josh-What's going on? Belated congrats on Cleveland....Are you going to the Novak?

P.S. Although foam tires are not as heavy as rubbers, do they still fly well?
Old 12-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

BTW..I know you will love this one........

When I went to the Airport this morn is was 20 degrees outside...when I got back home it was 78 degrees.....what a change...time for some golf...lol

Smack Bobby around for me....

Barry
Old 12-17-2004, 03:44 AM
Tech Adept

High of 72, light breeze not a cloud in the sky. Saw the weather report for Halo 22 with a wind chill of 2 below.
The Snowbird entry's on the the Site. Get on it and Get'er done.
Seeya soon.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hay Barry, if it makes you feel any better, Sunday night it should get down to 2deg. That is why Josh has Golden Tee.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Josh - thanks for the advice/analysis (and candor!)

I'll make the Carpet Nats setup my "default" carpet setup and tune from there.

Thanks again!

Rob
Old 12-17-2004, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Butter - Thanks!! Just thrashing as usual!! Rubber tires are still the best - better yet, 2wd front tires!!!!

Barry - Hand still hurting from too much Golden Tee??

scarecrow - Yep.... sucks hu...lol... I just printed out my entry forms!! Going in the mail asap!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.