R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-29-2004, 07:06 PM   #1801
Tech Master

Nick - Thanks and yep, same battery position as the Nats....

Thanks guys!!

trackdesigner71 - Thanks! TC3 set-up ---- Double Pink/Orange fronts, Double Pink rears cut to 2.25. Inner position on a rear shock tower mounted to the front, inner postion on the a-arms, purple springs, 60wt oil, #2 piston, upper and inner camber position with .030 shim under the shock tower, standard TC3 front roll bar, 4 degree castor blocks, 2 degrees camber, droop around 5mm I think, standard F and F + 0 blocks..... Outer position on the rear tower for the shocks, copper springs, 40wt oil with #2 pistons, outer position on the a-arms, upper and inner for the camber link, standard TC3 rear hubs in the longer and upper position, stardard R block with R + 2 - 0, 3 degrees of camber, batteries forward and I think 5mm droop in the rear.... Oh, and long wheel base.... No rear sway bar......
Old 11-29-2004, 07:14 PM   #1802
Tech Regular

JOSH!!!!
I just watched the movie when you jumped your house with the buggy that is so great. Would you ever do that again but on the bigger part of the house?

Great job at Clevland!!! That was asome!
Tony Szep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 07:20 PM   #1803
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Congrats on your WIN!
I have a question and hopefully you could answer this for me. In my first race of the day when the groove is low my car drives like I want it too and it is fast, but later in the day the groove comes up and my car is slower and I would probably say it pushes more. I keep running the same setup throughout the day and the same tires (I just clean the tires with Buggy Blast). Can you tell me what I should do and explain to me what happens? Thanks Josh! Good Luck in the future.
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:03 PM   #1804
Tech Apprentice

Josh congrats on your win at clevelend....i have a question for ya....im running on asphalt with cs27's and im running mod and 19turn....my car is really good but i want to make it return to center quicker when exiting a corner, is it possible to do this without changing oils/springs...maybe messing with roll center or camber link length?? thank u very much...
jayrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:04 AM   #1805
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alex Lopez

Josh- Very hartwarming words. I almost shed a tear or two.
I'm happy to see that you layed it down at champs. Hope all is well and hope to see you at the birds.

A-LO
Alex Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:38 AM   #1806
Tech Initiate

congrats josh !! great race

Sorted !!
spashett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:37 AM   #1807
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

23 out of the 60 A-Main Finalist practiced at Halo Hobbies.

With 7 out of the 10 finalist in Mod TC practicing at Halo.
Brian Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:27 AM   #1808
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

Jayrodracer-There is no help for your car. Now maybe if you had an Xray!
Old 11-30-2004, 12:48 PM   #1809
Tech Elite

Josh congrats on your wins. But Troy celebrated a little more with his screaming and jumping around. I would also like to congrat Paul L. for his driving and sportsmanship. He could have punted you out of the way a few times and he didn't. You guys had a awesome race and remarkably clean. Gonna try and get down your way. It's about 4 hours from Toronto.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:46 PM   #1810
Tech Master

Tony - Maybe, but not likely...lol...

429racer - Sounds like you need to adjust your set-up to match the changing track conditions. You may need to loosen up the rear of the car to gain those .1's back off the lap times. Experiment with the set-up, even in the morning making the car a bit loose so it will be dialed in once the track groves in....

jayrodracer - Roll center and/or camber link I don't think will do the job for you... Really, I think you would need to adjust the oil and springs and maybe use the camber links/roll center to adjust the set-up from there....

A-Lo - Bite me...lol... See ya at the Birds!!!

David - Told you ya should have come!!!

Brian - Leave it to you to figure out that one...lol....

Chris - Paul definatly drove a great race and it was a shame one of us had to finish 2nd. To be honest, it kinda reminded me of a few years ago at the Snowbirds where Paul won and I followed him like he followed me this year at Cleveland. He went on to win the race as I crashed out with 30 seconds to go.....
Old 12-01-2004, 08:48 AM   #1811
Tech Regular

congrats Josh! hello Alex!

1. how do i know if i'm in the correct gear ratio?

i have been racing roar stock class here in the Philippines for the past 9 months using an epic motor, the rest of the Xray guys here are in the 7.0+ final gear ratios. i noticed that my car is slower than them, so i put in 6.5 final gear ratio, it was good enough to put me in a-main but not enough to put me in the top 7.

2. what is the proper thing to do with motors? how do i know that a motor is running as well as those at the top without a motor dyno?

i cut my comm before every race weekend, i just changed my brushes i have been using the whole season, i think the brushes are still ok, no bluish color, but i still considered changing new ones hoping to be faster. but last weekend i still didn't notice any improvement, i was still unable to improve my race position. i felt like i had the poorest running motor

Last edited by silver_spo0n; 12-01-2004 at 11:40 AM.
silver_spo0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:49 AM   #1812
Tech Fanatic

I'm not Josh or Alex, but I can offer my opinion.

For me, finding a good gear ratio is all about "balance." By this, I mean a balance between bottom end, top end, and motor temperature. I know that my gear ratio is off if the motor is coming off excessively hot or excessively cool. If it's coming off the track really hot, I can pretty much assume that the motor is over geared and I need to drop a tooth or two on the pinion (although, I've had instances where undergearing a motor also caused it to get hot.) If the motor comes off the track and is barely warm, I'll usually try to go up a tooth or two on the pinion and reassess from there. Once I get the motor temp where I feel it's acceptable, I start analyzing the performance of the motor. Does it need more punch coming out of the corner (if so, I drop a tooth) or does it need more top end (if so, I go up a tooth.)

The best indicator, though, is your lap times. Experiment with your gear ratios and compare them with your lap times. When you're getting your fastest lap times, check to make sure youi're not cooking your motor by being overgeared and go from there.

If all else fails, it could be your driving line that's keeping you from doing better. If that's the case, practice, practice, practice.

If I missed anything (probably) or if I'm way off the mark (definitely possible) I'm sure others, including Josh or Alex will set me straight.

Hope this helps!

Rob
Rob Mincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:02 PM   #1813
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Josh:
Hi,

Congrats on both your wins at Cleveland. it was awsome to see such close racing.

I have some Q's
1) does running the alumium rear hub carriers help free up the rear??
2) at Cleveland we went to running no spacers at the "C" carrier and rear hub would this make the car feel to stuck??? we tried it both ways and Jason turned his fastset laps with and without the spacers.
3) what servo are you running. Jason is after more steering again even at Cleveland he was wanting more. I don't have the Ackerman extensions yet but I am hoping to soon (maybe they will help.)

Thanks

Chris R,

let me know when your going to Halo. we will try to make it down on the same weekend.
Life is short - live it! Your only old when your dreams are replaced by regrets.
TimXLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:05 PM   #1814
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Josh,

Any other knowledge you need to know??? hehehe
Brian Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:31 PM   #1815
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ya, when are you going to get a job?
Greg Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote