Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

you make f1 rules based on tamiya style axles. What has that to do with realistic looks or scale? It is only there to exclude the IRS style axles. I don't mind your rules but just name it as it is.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
you make f1 rules based on tamiya style axles. What has that to do with realistic looks or scale? It is only there to exclude the IRS style axles. I don't mind your rules but just name it as it is.
Wrong there- The new HPI F10 is using a standard IRS 1/12 type axle (12R5), it even uses standard bearings and 1/12th ride height bearing holders. They offer optional hex adaptor that adapts the 3 hole rim pattern so that you can mount the scale Tamiya wheels. This makes the car very legal and more scale looking. Something Corally can easily do.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Cool....ok, so i could use a 1/12 scale axle but not 1/12 scale tires?

What if i cut off part of the pro10 tires so they are as wide as the tamiya tires...45mm instead of the 50mm? would that be legal? The tamiya tires are as big as pro10 tires but the rims are just a tad smaller but not much
Old 04-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The pro ten rims are too big. You are probably looking at F104 tires, which are close to pro ten size, but the rim is made to look scale, and is nowhere near as wide. The offset is all wrong as well for a 200mm car.

Like MikeR said, the HPI setup is worth looking at for cars based on a 1/4" axle like most pan cars.

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/102917/
Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
Wrong there- The new HPI F10 is using a standard IRS 1/12 type axle (12R5), it even uses standard bearings and 1/12th ride height bearing holders. They offer optional hex adaptor that adapts the 3 hole rim pattern so that you can mount the scale Tamiya wheels. This makes the car very legal and more scale looking. Something Corally can easily do.
Am I supposed to get that you can buy an HPI F10 and then get adapters to run Tamiya F103/ 104 wheels and tires on it? Is that what you are saying?

The HPI F1 car has not been a contender for me because I thought the wheels were all hex all the way around. I have been gawking at the 3R F109 for my way into this class.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Am I supposed to get that you can buy an HPI F10 and then get adapters to run Tamiya F103/ 104 wheels and tires on it? Is that what you are saying?

The HPI F1 car has not been a contender for me because I thought the wheels were all hex all the way around. I have been gawking at the 3R F109 for my way into this class.

Correct for 103 wheels, as RobK posted the link below. Be warned though- they don't come cheap (front axles are separate)! My comment was to mainly point out that Corally should have also made adapters to fit F103 wheels.

The F10 with 103 axles adaptors;

Old 04-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snoopyrc

HPI don't make adapters as such, they make a complete rear axle and ball diff set, and new front steering arms and axles to fit F103/F104 foams all round. Be aware though they cost almost as much as the F10 kit does.

The HPI F10 foam tyre conversion uses a 1/4" axle so it could also fit into the Corally F1 as well, although ground clearance would be a problem with F103 tyres, F104 tyres should be okay.

Corally have gone for (for them) the cheap option, they have used their pan car and 1/12th scale parts bins and made a new chassis plate to create an F1. It's the same as Associated taking their RC10R5, making a narrower chassis plate with extra holes to screw the wings to it, and calling it an F1. F1s were killed off in the 90s thanks to everyone needing an expensive Corally to be competitive due to it being the only F1 that could run wider, lower profile pan car tyres.
Current UK F1 rules specify the wheels must be attached by a single wheel nut specifically to keep pan car tyres and the Corally out, otherwise we would all have to buy the Corally to be competitive. Most countries don't have the same restriction.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Tech Champion

Interesting...I didn't realize the HPI conversion used a 1/4" axle...that opens up some interesting possibilities
Old 04-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thats beautiful, especially with the Exotek bits, but it looks forever long. Sounds pricey too. Maybe I will just build a cupracer instead.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

This may be off-topic; but from what I'm reading here, since the F10 uses a standard pan car style axle that will fit in a 1/10 pan car and use standard 1/10 pan car bearings; does that mean I can use the F10 hubs to mount the HPI touring car wheels on a 1/10 pan car like the CRC Gen X10? Will the front axle carriers and axles also fit? My goal is to be able to mount the Vintage Series touring car wheels and tires on my pan car.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
This may be off-topic; but from what I'm reading here, since the F10 uses a standard pan car style axle that will fit in a 1/10 pan car and use standard 1/10 pan car bearings; does that mean I can use the F10 hubs to mount the HPI touring car wheels on a 1/10 pan car like the CRC Gen X10? Will the front axle carriers and axles also fit? My goal is to be able to mount the Vintage Series touring car wheels and tires on my pan car.
The rear end should work out fine, the front may be harder due to the CRC front end design. You might have to use an Associated front end to fit the parts.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Correct for 103 wheels, as RobK posted the link below. Be warned though- they don't come cheap (front axles are separate)! My comment was to mainly point out that Corally should have also made adapters to fit F103 wheels.

The F10 with 103 axles adaptors;

I have a question for you MikeR, I've seen you post this picture before, but what I don't get is that it doesn't actually have that "optional" HPI foam tire axle on it, but yet your running foams.
I own both the stock axle with optional ball diff, and the complete foam tire axle assembly, but I refuse to run the foam tire axle because it's aluminum and they don't sell just the axle as a replacement.
I ditched the HPI axle all together and replaced it with a F104 axle so I can run foams, but I'm curious if you can explain how you make it work in that picture. It confuses me everytime I see it, lol.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
I dont make the rules, they are just the rules we have here.
And yes it is a pain as the Tyrrell P34 uses Historic sized larger rear tyres, which happen to be Pro10 sized externally, but F103 sized internally. Now can you tell me where to get rear F1 tyres that size?

My car look stupid with the smaller F103/109 sized rear tyres hence why it doesn't get raced.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mr P!nk
I have a question for you MikeR, I've seen you post this picture before, but what I don't get is that it doesn't actually have that "optional" HPI foam tire axle on it, but yet your running foams.
I own both the stock axle with optional ball diff, and the complete foam tire axle assembly, but I refuse to run the foam tire axle because it's aluminum and they don't sell just the axle as a replacement.
I ditched the HPI axle all together and replaced it with a F104 axle so I can run foams, but I'm curious if you can explain how you make it work in that picture. It confuses me everytime I see it, lol.
I understand that, lol! It is confusing because the pic shows a hybrid of the 2 axles joined into 1. I found this system makes for the smoothest diff because this diff tensioner does not involve the wheel like the true 103 diff. It is using the HPI 103 left hub (foam axle kit), a 1/12th carbon axle, F10 ball diff (1/12 d-ring diff actually) and a custom prototype right side 14mm hex which is the finishing critical piece. The system makes for a smoooth diff that is bomb proof with the carbon axle . This system may be implemented into a long term F1 project I'm working on
Old 04-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I understand that, lol! It is confusing because the pic shows a hybrid of the 2 axles joined into 1. I found this system makes for the smoothest diff because this diff tensioner does not involve the wheel like the true 103 diff. It is using the HPI 103 left hub (foam axle kit), a 1/12th carbon axle, F10 ball diff (1/12 d-ring diff actually) and a custom prototype right side 14mm hex which is the finishing critical piece. The system makes for a smoooth diff that is bomb proof with the carbon axle . This system may be implemented into a long term F1 project I'm working on
Ah, I see. I never even thought about using the left hub from the foam kit! Any chance that right prototype hub will ever make it's way into customers hands? I'd like to keep running the stock steel axle with the optional ball diff, but my local carpet track allows foams now so I need to figure something out.
The F104 axle works good but it pushes the spur outboard more than the HPI axle and puts it very close to my rear wing now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.