Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Like Tree2894Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Old 08-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Which Car???

Hi,

I am looking to jump into F1 racing again and I used to run the Tamiya cars about 6 years ago and liked them with the exception of the front arms breaking. Anyway, I would like to get you avid R/C F1 racer's opinions (pros and cons) of the Tamiya 104 or the 103, MLP, HPI or the 3Racing F1-09 which to me looks like the best car, but like I said I would appreciate any and all replies.

BTW, I would rather run lipo and BL motors.

Thanks, Mike
Old 08-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I'd reccomend the F103 or the 109!! They use the same wheels/tires--which are full - width. The F 104 uses a taller narrower tire and wheel combo!! The Ride tires work great for rubber-- and the Tamiya foams for 103 work well also! The 109 has the most tunable options-- the 103 is EASY to setup and get working well.
FWIW
Tim

Out here in California---there's a GREAT series running --that uses 21.5 brushless and NO TIMING ESC's--and either rubber or foam tires scored equally as well. We found over time--that foam or rubber are compatible to run together. The cars are nearly equal in speed. They DO score them differently---to give the option of running either rubber or foam--- and be scored independantly for that class---but the points are awarded equally too.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi All,

Just finished my F104W Wolf. In my opinion, a great looking car and can't wait for the release of the F104W Lotus for the shelf.

I decided to use black instead of the Wolf dark blue and I messed up the front decal, but overall I think it looks great.
Will get some hop-ups soon and just use the silver can for now.
Cant wait to try it on the track this weekend!!
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-dsc01967.jpg  
Old 08-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Tech Adept

Nice job on that Wolf F1.

I too am waiting for the Lotus 79; I just wish there was something else that could be used as a front bumper that would be less obtrusive than that huge black kydex thing that Tamiya uses; it spoils the whole appearance of the car! They should have done molded plastic front wings like they do on their other F1 cars, then you wouldn't need that ugly black thing hanging off the front end.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Use it as a handily-located parts tray when working on the car?

Serioulsy though, i'd try and cut it down, or find someething from RPM that's close and butcher it.

Or jsut take it off and hope you and the guy next to you can both drive!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:00 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah, probably the best thing would be to cut it down to size so that it barely shows, but still offers some front body protection. It's especially galling with the Lotus 79 with it's super sleek profile. That car is still regarded by most everyone as one of, if not the best looking F1 car ever! A shame that Tamiya copped out and didn't do the front bumper better, because you just know that they will have done a first rate job on the body like they always do. Maybe some rc aftermarket company will step up to the plate and offer something for it.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I saw those new F1 kits at the TCS Nationals on display.

Looks like those rubber tires might even work?

Wouldn't that be a boost to the F103 racing, having rubber tires that really work again and Tamiya branded.

If they don't work, they could if they get molded in the F104 rubber compounds available now cuz those are workin.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Tech Adept

I agree totally about the rubber tires! I am a fan of scale rubber tires on the
F1 cars; I know that foams are generally faster, but I prefer F1 to be true "scale" racing with real rubber tires. It is the "scale" appearance of the
F1 cars that is most appealing to me.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Default "F1 Is Back Jack" Rubber Tire Baby! Yezz Zirr

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Thanks Vyger!

I can't describe the feeling I got from all of the positive input and support from you guys during the whole weekend.
Really means a lot to me, I'll never forget it and I can't thank you enough!

Holy schmoly that was close and that battle in the final A main to hold onto 2nd with Steve literally on my butt for 8 freakin minutes? What????
I knew if I lost 2nd there would be no tie!
I just crapped my pants!

No, I'm old and just now crapped my pants!
Man I had a great time hanging with you guys at the nats. It sure did hurt to find out my setup was not legal. Like Vyger said on saturday Cuda, Your car looked super consistent. Two Thumbs Up My Friend.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T.MARSHALL
Man I had a great time hanging with you guys at the nats. It sure did hurt to find out my setup was not legal. Like Vyger said on saturday Cuda, Your car looked super consistent. Two Thumbs Up My Friend.
Yeah congrats to Cuda and all the other podium finishers as well. I really wish I could have been out there to race with you guys, but it was not to be.
Hopefully there will be a reversal of fortunes over the next 12months and I will be on the grid come August
Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Check it out guys- video from last months UF1 series race....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxD_iVvxJSY

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default And it was only runnerup

Originally Posted by T.MARSHALL
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Yeah congrats to Cuda and all the other podium finishers as well. I really wish I could have been out there to race with you guys, but it was not to be.
Hopefully there will be a reversal of fortunes over the next 12months and I will be on the grid come August
Thanks again to all of you guys! You are the best.
That's got to be the best 2nd place of all time!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Austin GP Track layout...

http://www.racer.com/austin-group-re...MC-RACER_DAILY
Old 09-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Cuda did have the best car. Looked super easy to drive, and laid down the power. Excellent job all weekend.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Default The Race

Originally Posted by robk
Cuda did have the best car. Looked super easy to drive, and laid down the power. Excellent job all weekend.
Rob, Give me a call.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.