Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2895Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Anyone feel that F1 Paintlab sticker sheets are way too thin?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Not really, they are flexible for complex curves IMHO..........
Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fleetmaster
Not really, they are flexible for complex curves IMHO..........
The complexity of the print doesn't matter. I've had RC cars for over twenty years and never had sticker sheets this thin. I don't mind stickers being flexible, but every sticker I've cut and peeled has curled under on itself. Some got ruined, and some I've saved.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Autocratic
The complexity of the print doesn't matter. I've had RC cars for over twenty years and never had sticker sheets this thin. I don't mind stickers being flexible, but every sticker I've cut and peeled has curled under on itself. Some got ruined, and some I've saved.
What do you mean ruining them? Are you not soaking them in shallow water with a drop of clear dish soap on a plate? If they are soaked in the solution the adhesive will be slippery until you set the decal and then push the excess water out and have a cloth (not like tissue where there are loose fibers) and soak it up. Also make sure to wet the tips of your fingers with the soapy water so that your fingerprints and grease aren't imprinted. With the soapy solution the adhesive back should feel slippery.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thicker is better ? I am more interested in the flexibility and adhesion (as well as the detail, quality and variety), especially with the complex curves of the modern era F1 cars. I started with RC in '86 and took a many year sabbatical to play with 1:1 scale, returning to RC in 2003. I have won concourse in one and sometimes two classes at the Tamiya Nationals every year since 2004. With this experience, I would suggest the cut a small part of the backing of the decal off first to align and stick, then peel the rest of the backing. I don't use soapy water and have no problem applying them dry. Do they take a little more work than a "thicker" decal ? Why yes, yes the do. However, I have used thicker decals like the Decal Island F1 decal sheets. Great if you stick to a flat surface but forget trying to wrap a larger decal on a Tamiya McLaren or Ferrari F1 side pod.

Panda
Old 10-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by robk
If you want to make it easy to police just go with narrow cars and the "TCS" sidewall tires. Everybody will have a good time
Limiting tire choice to Tamiya only rubber effectively makes it a TCS tires/narrow car spec class anyway. No other rubber tires from Tamiya comes anywhere near them.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Sounds like tires will be an issue. They may have to make some changes it sounds like. Evolution will take place over time.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ijdod
Wow, very nice indeed!

Finished building my new Corally F1-SL (also know as Satan's Spawn and worse here :P). While I don't like the looks of the 1:12 suspension, boy does it work. Also, not nearly as noticeable when driving.

Mr. Satan
Old 10-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Redwings
Bro, Now that I see you f201, I have a guy in Canada that want to sell his for like $75.00, I should grab it. Do you still run yours and if so, what's inside?
I would grab it. The only challenge would be getting parts for it - ebay will be your friend in keeping the F201 alive. This is actually my 2nd F201 (I regret selling my 1st one). This one has Al option damper tubes and low friction shafts, Tobee craft universals, high speed gear set, reinforced prop shafts, and reinforced lower arms. Motor is a Viper 10.5T.

Originally Posted by Tracy B
How are you all painting the cockpits & radiator openings??
I actually cut out the openings of the side pontoons to allow for airfow to the ESC. I use a small piece of wire mesh and some shoegoo to keep it in place.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

I would like to thank Brad at F1 Paintlabs for getting me the prototype decals for my new project. Will be racing in the upcoming California UF1 Winter series and entering in the team series also. This is just the #19 Schumacher. I also finished the #20 Brundle car but my teammate is at IIC this weekend so no chassis to display on. I chose to go with the B192 livery. When F1 Paintlabs release there set, will include sponsor logos to do the B192, B193 and B194. Paint is the same on all three cars, just different sponsor logos.

Normally I am "Mr. Vinyl" when it comes to the wings but I could not find a dark enough yellow to go with the bodies. So.... I sanded the wing parts with 600 girt wet/dry sandpaper, shot them first with Tamiya PS-1 white, then sprayed the PS-19 Camel Yellow. Did this for the front and rear wings and the mirrors. If you try to just spray the yellow over the black... good luck.

Body colors are all Tamiya rattle can: PS-19 Camel Yellow, PS-21 Park Green and PS-30 Brilliant Blue. Now that I have saved you all time and research on the colors, enjoy painting your versions when BP gets back from the IIC and can start making more decal sheets.

Panda
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-img_8011.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-img_8013.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-img_8014.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-img_8015.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-img_8016.jpg  

Last edited by Kevin CBR; 10-06-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

great work, looks the goods.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Default F104 for sale

And now with the team bodies finished, finally got around to getting my F104 v1 ready for sale. Car is hopped up to F104 X1 spec and more. Car is in great shape and just ready for electronics and paint.

SOLD !

Panda

Last edited by Kevin CBR; 10-06-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Thicker is better ? I am more interested in the flexibility and adhesion (as well as the detail, quality and variety), especially with the complex curves of the modern era F1 cars. I started with RC in '86 and took a many year sabbatical to play with 1:1 scale, returning to RC in 2003. I have won concourse in one and sometimes two classes at the Tamiya Nationals every year since 2004. With this experience, I would suggest the cut a small part of the backing of the decal off first to align and stick, then peel the rest of the backing. I don't use soapy water and have no problem applying them dry. Do they take a little more work than a "thicker" decal ? Why yes, yes the do. However, I have used thicker decals like the Decal Island F1 decal sheets. Great if you stick to a flat surface but forget trying to wrap a larger decal on a Tamiya McLaren or Ferrari F1 side pod.

Panda
+1
Thick stickers have a really hard time stretching and conforming to the complex curves of F104 bodies and wings (wrinkles and more wrinkles) and the thick edges are unsightly.
F1 paintlab stickers for the win

Panda- car looks great. Adjusted levels just a touch and you can see the car really shines.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Tech Addict

Don't peel the entire backing from the sticker. Start from one end so it won't curl.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MikeR
+1
Thick stickers have a really hard time stretching and conforming to the complex curves of F104 bodies and wings (wrinkles and more wrinkles) and the thick edges are unsightly.
F1 paintlab stickers for the win

Panda- car looks great. Adjusted levels just a touch and you can see the car really shines.
Thanks Mike. Hopefully it "shines" as well on the track as it does in the pictures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.