Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I just built mine from scratch. Got most of the parts from BP SHADOW.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I'll probably be doing the same. I have a front end with the metal balls and ti pins, just gotta get everything else. Glad the kit is fairly inexpensive.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Isn't "trail" another term for Caster ?
No, I'm able to move the kingpin off centre , within the steering block.

Thanks RobK
Old 09-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
You sure man? I would give you $50 paypal. I'm looking for one now, but it appears everyone loves them so much they can't get rid of them.
I have the F1R and the F1 Ultra. If Exotek comes out with another one, I will have it too.

I used spare parts from my F109 and whatnot to build both of mine. Still never had a Tamiya car. I do want one though.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Completed the re-livery on my F201 today. Kudos to BPShadow - another awesome decal set from F1Paintlabs. CF pattern body left intact.

Here is the Ferrari - back to the dominant days of the F2004:

I used a different media for the front / rear wings with this project. Instead of plastic paint (like my other cars); I applied airplane repair vinyl film on the surface prior to applying the decals. The vinyl is self adhesive and comes in a variety of colors. It is about the same thickness as MonoKote film. I ran the F201 on the track and it sustained a rollover and an incident with the barrier.

Last edited by macavant; 09-30-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

SEKSIE
Old 09-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544
Cool thanks guys. Anyone have a 103 anniversary for sale? lol
I have for sale what started life as an F103RM but has all the hop-ups of the 15th Anniversary including the carbon lower chassis and long upper carbon upper deck. Car was formidable as an F1 on foams and a Le Mans car on rubber. Selling the roller with the Tamiya F1 and Le Mans body with rubber and foam tires. Cuda knows the car and can attest to how quick it was.

Panda
Old 09-30-2012, 01:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Anyone tried f103 sized wheels/tyres with a 180mm width car?... I want to try the narrower car but have heaps of wheels and tyres around including a set of the narrower f104 rears so only need to find something to run on the front
Old 09-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShadowAu
Anyone tried f103 sized wheels/tyres with a 180mm width car?... I want to try the narrower car but have heaps of wheels and tyres around including a set of the narrower f104 rears so only need to find something to run on the front
All you'd need to do is shorten the rear axle and diff side hub, then the fatties would squeeze thru the 180mm tech box.
The fronts will fit right on using the correct bearing
Old 09-30-2012, 07:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
I have for sale what started life as an F103RM but has all the hop-ups of the 15th Anniversary including the carbon lower chassis and long upper carbon upper deck. Car was formidable as an F1 on foams and a Le Mans car on rubber. Selling the roller with the Tamiya F1 and Le Mans body with rubber and foam tires. Cuda knows the car and can attest to how quick it was.

Panda
Panda's car is the real deal, the "car" is quick.

Commission check can be sent to [email protected]. paypal accepted.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macavant
Completed the re-livery on my F201 today. Kudos to BPShadow - another awesome decal set from F1Paintlabs. CF pattern body left intact.

Here is the Ferrari - back to the dominant days of the F2004:

I used a different media for the front / rear wings with this project. Instead of plastic paint (like my other cars); I applied airplane repair vinyl film on the surface prior to applying the decals. The vinyl is self adhesive and comes in a variety of colors. It is about the same thickness as MonoKote film. I ran the F201 on the track and it sustained a rollover and an incident with the barrier.
Bro, Now that I see you f201, I have a guy in Canada that want to sell his for like $75.00, I should grab it. Do you still run yours and if so, what's inside?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
How many of you run your friction pads with no lubricant? I've noticed most of the guys here in Japan like to run it dry....

I guess running it dry helps to make the rear pod to be loose as possible. Should I try running a lubricant that will make the pads more slippery or just keep it dry. What are your friction plate settings?
Replaced mine with Tamiya low friction pads as they are machined rather than moulded and then run them dry or with various damper greases depending on how much grip there is on the surface I'm running on. If you need as much rear grip as possible run them dry with no preload on the springs. The same with the front kingpins, adding grease will dampen the front end.

Also, the guy at the track said to switch from the rubber o-ring setup and move toward the pivot ball. What is the difference in tuning with a pivot ball vs. o-ring. Which ones do you run?
The pivot ball will let the rear end rock freely from side to side with the only control of the cation being the grease used in the friction pads. The o-ring setup isn't as free but it can be easily adjusted to tune the rear end. I race on carpet so the rear end is loosened for weekly club racing but screwed down almost solid for big meetings with much higher grip. The ball setup is much more loose so good for generating more rear grip especially on bumpy surfaces.

There are two types of front suspensions, the regular plastic and the carbon reinforced plastic. Under what conditions should I run them?
The carbon reinforced one is stiffer, but won't make a difference to the handling. The reason I always run the carbon one is that it's much stronger and needs a much harder hit to break it compared with the plastic one.

Since, the F103 has a full upper and lower carbon fibre deck. How can I produce more chassis flex with such a stiff chassis setup? Can I remove the top deck and replace it with the optional half deck? This will in-turn open up and free up the front end for additional flex, is this what I want for on road pavement racing?
If you need more overall grip then ditch the full length top deck and carbon chassis and replace them with the standard fibreglass ones. Generally the change of chassis will change overall grip, and the full length top deck will understeer more than the standard one.

My track is running 17.5, whats a good gear range? The motor has a 135 mm rotor... More torque than rpm..
Can't help with gearing, we run 21.5T here and running between 40 and 60mmpr depending on the track.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Panda's car is the real deal, the "car" is quick.

Commission check can be sent to [email protected]. paypal accepted.
The "car" is quick ? Commission check just reduced Cuda !

Panda
Old 09-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

So we may be starting up a foam tire class locally. We've already got a rubber tire class going good. Whats the best chassis to get for 200mm on foams? What foam tires work best? This will be on carpet.
Running in the UK nationals on foams various chassis (F109, F103, Roche, etc.) qualified within a few seconds of each other, apart from TQ which was easily won with a wide Exotek F1Ultra. I should also point out that it took a lot of time to get the F1Ultra handling right and it only really came good at the last rounds. The easy option is a Tamiya F103, not much tuning can be done with it but it works fine straight out of the box.

For foams my preference are 25 shore rears with 35 or 38 shore fronts depending on the track. From Tamiya I like the HBR soft rear and HBR medium front for lower grip carpet and Zac Project 25/37 shore tyres for high grip.
The standard Tamiya 54135/54136 premounts are pretty popular as well.

Last edited by terry.sc; 09-30-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Anyone interested in those stepped 2012 noses might rethink for next year. F1 in 2013 will allow panels and new rules to alleviate the platypus nose. FWIW...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.