Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2895Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Tech Champion

Well in almost 20 some odd years of racing F1 RC cars I've had both front and rear wings broken off in the middle of the race and they didn't affect the handling. We did all our racing in the past with Tamiya Sport Tuned motors...I'm not saying they have no effect...just that you really got to get the moving before they have enough of an affect.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Vyger
...and 3Racing’s soon to be released F113 F1 chassis...
...wait, whut?

While I appreciate the value for money in the F109, I do feel it could be better, mainly because some parts are just too cheap. I hope this F113 takes it there.

So, my questions to the masses; is this the direction F1 should go, meaning, performance over appearance? Is F1 seeing the beginning of the sedan car phase, where bodies are morphed and stickers are the only thing left that resembles the real car?
Yes. Although I seriously doubt it's going that way with bodies soon.

Originally Posted by nrtv20
I should have checked the link first; they do have new wings and I like them. Plus the front is clear and can be painted to suit body themes!!!!!!!
The rear wing smells strongly of TRG. It's been the standard wing here for most drivers. Not too sure about polycarbonate front wings though, I like mine to be able to take a bit of beating.

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I think the wings have more effect from the weight that they provide on either end of the chassis, and helping balance the chassis. Not saying they dont work at all, but the amount of surface area they have to generate downforce is negligable.
From testing back when I was still doing the Dutch nationals, I can tell you that both wings are quite aerodynamically active, at least with the straighforward TRG-type wings. We didn't go overboard, but the low-drag TRG (A-type, from the top of my head) front wing we used on some large flowing tracks would not work on our home track (unless you like the grass at the end of the straight ). We did some improvised windtunnel testing too, to compare the effect of various wings, but I don't remember the actual downforce figures.
I do agree it's nowhere near the downforce-to-weight ratios the real cars do, but there's more to that than just the wings, too .

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Protoform tested the waters with inexpensive / less detailed bodies for a while

Don't know if those are still around
I seem to recall the Corally F1 body is actually a Protoform. It's still available.

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Well in almost 20 some odd years of racing F1 RC cars I've had both front and rear wings broken off in the middle of the race and they didn't affect the handling. We did all our racing in the past with Tamiya Sport Tuned motors...I'm not saying they have no effect...just that you really got to get the moving before they have enough of an affect.
I have the opposite experience. Lose either wing, and you might as well retire. It depends on tyre grip though, of you have enough mechanical grip from your tyres you might not need the wings anyway.

A picture I found on 3Racing's FB page shows the new FGX front suspension. Looks very interesting, although it's the sort of construction that could suffer heavily from poor materials and cheap parts.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ijdod
I have the opposite experience. Lose either wing, and you might as well retire. It depends on tyre grip though, of you have enough mechanical grip from your tyres you might not need the wings anyway.
Until recently our races were done on untreated asphalt of very low grip. The best grip we had was with the Tamiya cap tubes glued over foam tires. Even then you had to be very careful on the throttle. I imagine with higher grip and faster motors and a bigger track that may be true but still that goes to my point...you really have to get the cars moving for the wings to be effective. I even had other racers finish the race with wings just barely hanging on but you couldn't see it on the track and even they didn't notice a difference.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Until recently our races were done on untreated asphalt of very low grip. The best grip we had was with the Tamiya cap tubes glued over foam tires. Even then you had to be very careful on the throttle. I imagine with higher grip and faster motors and a bigger track that may be true but still that goes to my point...you really have to get the cars moving for the wings to be effective. I even had other racers finish the race with wings just barely hanging on but you couldn't see it on the track and even they didn't notice a difference.
Interesting. We do run a fairly fast, large track, so we do actually carry quite a bit of speed into the corners. Could very well be the difference. All the occurrences I can remember happened either had my home track or similar nearby tracks. Might have lost wings at the smaller tracks, but I guess I lost wheels too then . On my home track, lose half a front wing and you can't take any speed into the corners. Lose the rear wing, and you end up backwards at every corner. You can still make the corners, but you lose seconds, literally.

We're running on foam, on an 250m purpose-built 8th scale track. Currently we're running the Tamiya Formula Tuned 32T motor as spec, back in the days when we still had F1 nats we ran a 16 turn. The 32T is less than 2 seconds slower. (around 20 secs, currently).

Old 05-18-2012, 02:13 AM
Tech Adept

ps. I mentioned the 79 (late 70's), lotus because it is a body that is actually available at the moment.

Peter
Old 05-18-2012, 02:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ijdod
Interesting. We do run a fairly fast, large track, so we do actually carry quite a bit of speed into the corners. Could very well be the difference. All the occurrences I can remember happened either had my home track or similar nearby tracks. Might have lost wings at the smaller tracks, but I guess I lost wheels too then . On my home track, lose half a front wing and you can't take any speed into the corners. Lose the rear wing, and you end up backwards at every corner. You can still make the corners, but you lose seconds, literally.

We're running on foam, on an 250m purpose-built 8th scale track. Currently we're running the Tamiya Formula Tuned 32T motor as spec, back in the days when we still had F1 nats we ran a 16 turn. The 32T is less than 2 seconds slower. (around 20 secs, currently).
On a track that sized I am not surprised...in the US most tracks are lucky to even be half that size.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:18 AM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I'll hopefully get some better shots tomorrow outdoors. Making it's race debut this weekend...

Failed to colour-match the vinyl and paint, but you live and learn
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-2012-05-18-046.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012, 03:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Heres a customer F2012 that I just finished, once again Dish worked the digital magic with his camera

Decals are available in the store
BP SHADOW,

Awesome pics. Is the tail painted white then stickers are put on?I don't see the red and white break in my sticker sheet to make tail look ilk yours.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Futaba 4PK Super R controller w/ GYC430. Photo credit: Waigo Hobbies
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-futaba-gyc430.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012, 05:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
No Helmet
No Wings
No Decals
Lackluster Cockpit area

We can agree to disagree here
Chevron and Tech are the only companies that has these parts included in thier body kits.And most of them dont include the decals.
The Protoform bodies are just as nice as any of the other aftermarket F1 bodies.
TRG
Zen
Cross
the list goes on,none of these include the parts you are talking about.
I wish there was more compaines that had complete body sets ,but Tamiya is the only one with enough money to do it,Protoform was the only company in North America to make F1 bodies. Its a shame as the bodies are just as good as any other aftermarket company.And can look great if you have the skills.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:27 AM
tmr
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Arahawak
If my memory don't fail me.. I think a Japanese magazine featured some aero data before on some of the F1 kits..
here is the article[german]: rc-japan.de/presse.php (sry, still can't post a link)

translation: green dot is downforce generated by the front, pink dot is rear downforce, yellow dot is total downforce. orange dot is drag. unit is grams. 1N ~ 102g on sea level
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
w/ GYC430.
Now gyros too?? Oh boy
Old 05-18-2012, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Now gyros too?? Oh boy
Not mine. Photo from 2012 Shizuoka Hobby Show.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arahawak
If my memory don't fail me.. I think a Japanese magazine featured some aero data before on some of the F1 kits..
Your memory hasn't failed you, yet.
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-tn_full_fig_3a.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-tn_full_fig_4a.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-tn_full_fig_5a.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-tn_full_fig_6a.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-tn_full_fig_7a.jpg  

Old 05-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Part 2
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-tn_full_fig_8a.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-tn_full_fig_9a.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-tn_full_fig_10a.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-tn_full_fig_11a.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.