Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2895Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's because Formula 1 is ugly!

Let's see how long it takes for someone not to detect the sarcasm!
Old 05-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
That's a good looking car Tex

It would be nice to see rear wing heights stay lower than airbox height, at the very least

Seems some folks don't care about appearance at all in the F1 class, that's just sad

Of course, this is from some 20+ yrs perspective of running scale looking F1, on & off, so obviously I am a bit opinionated on this subject
Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I am sure that this body will show up here or there, but to me it is really ambiguous, It really doesnt speak to one era of F1, but is more of a hybrid.
While I dont care for this years F1 cars from a form factor, I wish Tamiya would do a generic body that is in the flavor of the last couple of years. The F60 is a nice body, but it doesnt really work with some of the current liveries.
As far as aero goes, im not sure that there is much to be gained by modifying the wings and such. I think the wings have more effect from the weight that they provide on either end of the chassis, and helping balance the chassis. Not saying they dont work at all, but the amount of surface area they have to generate downforce is negligable. Also for effective aero, you would have to have fairly clean flow over and under the wings, with all of the ribbing on the underside of the wings you would interrupt the flow over the wing section
I think you may be surprised how much the wings will influence handling. I understand aerodynamics and how they work and I used to think it had very little effect on a rc car because we simply don't achieve really high speeds but.........remember we are working with very small and light cars compared to their full size counterparts. Extra grams of down force can make the difference between a rear end that slides and one that hooks up. I didn't believe it until I ran my usgt corvette without a wing and the rear end was a little loose. I made no other changes other than adding the wing and it was so stuck I could not break it loose if I tried. huge difference.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
That's because Formula 1 is ugly!

Let's see how long it takes for someone not to detect the sarcasm!
We love your sarcasm Fred. (and that is without sarcasm)

The best looking F1 cars are really an opinion. I love the early 70s cars, but they are so narrow you would have to run a lower scale to get everything to fit under the body. Those cars relied so much more on mechanical grip, much like our RC cars.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Whats needed is a scale body for F1 in the $20 range for general racing clubs or testing/bashing. the Tamiya and Chevron are expensive for weekly racing. But Im all for scale, which is why i have one. A generic body is good for testing so I dont ruin a good scale body while trying things. Fwiw....
Old 05-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Protoform tested the waters with inexpensive / less detailed bodies for a while

Don't know if those are still around

But to be honest
F-104 bodies seem to last quite a few seasons from my experience
The wings take most of the impact
Old 05-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
The best looking F1 cars are really an opinion. I love the early 70s cars, but they are so narrow you would have to run a lower scale to get everything to fit under the body. Those cars relied so much more on mechanical grip, much like our RC cars.
The Lotus 79 has plenty of under body room, now once I get the chassis covered by an aero plate and finish my side curtains....................

And the scale tyres are wide.........

Cheers
Peter
Old 05-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Pure F1 ART !

Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-tamiya-f104v2.jpg  

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 05-17-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Protoform tested the waters with inexpensive / less detailed bodies for a while

Don't know if those are still around

But to be honest
F-104 bodies seem to last quite a few seasons from my experience
The wings take most of the impact
Ther Protoform bodies have lots of detail.no more or less than any of the other bodies made of 90s F1 cars. To bad that stopped making them.
Protoform
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-img_120341_2539777_3.jpg  
Old 05-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
Ther Protoform bodies have lots of detail.no more or less than any of the other bodies made of 90s F1 cars. To bad that stopped making them.
Protoform
No Helmet
No Wings
No Decals
Lackluster Cockpit area

We can agree to disagree here
Old 05-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
I think you may be surprised how much the wings will influence handling. I understand aerodynamics and how they work and I used to think it had very little effect on a rc car because we simply don't achieve really high speeds but.........remember we are working with very small and light cars compared to their full size counterparts. Extra grams of down force can make the difference between a rear end that slides and one that hooks up. I didn't believe it until I ran my usgt corvette without a wing and the rear end was a little loose. I made no other changes other than adding the wing and it was so stuck I could not break it loose if I tried. huge difference.
I realize that they have some effect on the performance of the car. But if you look at the frontal area of the car and the cross sections of the wings and suspension parts, they are going to create more turbulence than anything else. I spent about 300 hours in the wind tunnel when I worked at GM, and while i'm not a full fledged aerodynamicist, I started to get a good feel for how air behaves. It would be interesting to get a math model of the 104 and have someone run a CFD analysis and see whats really going on
Old 05-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I realize that they have some effect on the performance of the car. But if you look at the frontal area of the car and the cross sections of the wings and suspension parts, they are going to create more turbulence than anything else. I spent about 300 hours in the wind tunnel when I worked at GM, and while i'm not a full fledged aerodynamicist, I started to get a good feel for how air behaves. It would be interesting to get a math model of the 104 and have someone run a CFD analysis and see whats really going on
If my memory don't fail me.. I think a Japanese magazine featured some aero data before on some of the F1 kits..
Old 05-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Correct. Don't have the link with me but it did compare the F104 to the F103 as well as I think the HPI F10 and TRG F1 car. The f103 almost made double the downforce with the F103 L body. Also there was a bit of downforce gained using the TRG rear wing and the ABC diffuser.

Not much was shown regarding the front wings. The F103 did make a fair bit more downforce at the front though.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pedro 51
The Lotus 79 has plenty of under body room, now once I get the chassis covered by an aero plate and finish my side curtains....................

And the scale tyres are wide.........

Cheers
Peter
Early 70s, like this one. Lotus was always pushing the envelope.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

Dang those front tyres are tiny!!

http://www.glenphotos.com/memories/index.html

Then you scroll through the photos and see the cars in a grass paddock, bring back the good old days.

Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.