Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Like Tree2928Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Old 10-14-2017, 08:23 AM
  #13696  
Tech Master
 
Lone Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 1,268
Default

Originally Posted by SpeedySST
Remember when direct drive cars were fun to race because they were NOT complicated? Looks like thats been screwed up too, just like nearly everything else about this hobby.
I dont have to remember if the old pan cars were simpler back then all i have to do is look on the shelves in my utiliy room and look at them. They were very simple compared to todays cars

Last edited by Lone Drifter; 10-14-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Lone Drifter is offline  
Old 10-14-2017, 12:34 PM
  #13697  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 609
Default

The f103 is still todays car to have. My f103 has beaten xrays and serpents for the last few years on a regular basis. The f103 came 1st and 2nd at this years nationals up against stiff competition. The f103 is still the king.
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
ixlr8nz is offline  
Old 10-14-2017, 12:42 PM
  #13698  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,313
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
Now that F1 RC cars are Maxxed out $400 chassis , $60 sets of tires , Graphite and Machined Aluminum everything I think its time for a support class.

Bring back a simple car in its own spec class. a car like a F103 limited ajustments , the foam tires that last multiple seasons. it could still have the same overall dimensions of the Full class . Keep it Inexpensive, maybe it would attract some VTA , GT to F1 and new people to racing.
Im talking for myself and other people who may like F1 but were not in on the ground floor when F1 cars made the change over to rubber tires 4 or 5 years ago

a spec class 190mm wide with bearings, fiberglass T plate chassis with one shock , stardard F104 front end ,the ability to run a full size Tranverse mounted battery (with the option of shorties)
I think you're on to something. at least sorta. We do need some cheap classes to run. "going fast for cheap" is definitely the world of direct drive. But ti's hard to beat things like the TT01e with the semi truck body. Takes longer to build, but it comes with an ESC, and motor. All you need is a radio battery and charger to get going.

(It won't last, but there's a $99 F104 on tamiya right now...)

But getting people into racing, is another story. EG: at my local track, there's a class that's "run what you brung" but.. it's not advertised. They say there's racing, but it's rarely said "when" or "how long you should expect to be there".
Nerobro is offline  
Old 10-14-2017, 12:42 PM
  #13699  
Tech Master
iTrader: (74)
 
aracefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,425
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default

Are we talking asphalt outdoors?? That I can see, not on the black rug...

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
The f103 is still todays car to have. My f103 has beaten xrays and serpents for the last few years on a regular basis. The f103 came 1st and 2nd at this years nationals up against stiff competition. The f103 is still the king.
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
aracefan is offline  
Old 10-14-2017, 12:45 PM
  #13700  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Kevin CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: "Racing Budget" is an oxymoron
Posts: 3,984
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
Now that F1 RC cars are Maxxed out $400 chassis , $60 sets of tires , Graphite and Machined Aluminum everything I think its time for a support class.

Bring back a simple car in its own spec class. a car like a F103 limited ajustments , the foam tires that last multiple seasons. it could still have the same overall dimensions of the Full class . Keep it Inexpensive, maybe it would attract some VTA , GT to F1 and new people to racing.
Im talking for myself and other people who may like F1 but were not in on the ground floor when F1 cars made the change over to rubber tires 4 or 5 years ago

a spec class 190mm wide with bearings, fiberglass T plate chassis with one shock , stardard F104 front end ,the ability to run a full size Tranverse mounted battery (with the option of shorties)
Simple, just get a bunch of your friends to buy up a bunch of old F103 Tamiya's and have your own class. Spec the crap out of everything that you all have to run the same cheap $ 40 battery and the same cheap $ 50 esc and the same cheap $ 20 servo and you can only buy one set of tires every 5 races or run Tamiya foam tires but can not cut them down because foam tire truers are not cheap.

Everyone always has great ideas for a "cheap / inexpensive class". What one should say is I want a class I don't have to spend much time and money on AND still win. Just look at USGT. $ 600 chassis with $ 500 radios, $ 150 motors, plus top of the line esc's and servos is what will put you in A main at a big race. Oh yeah, and driving skill.

F1 cars have evolved just like brushless esc's and motors and lipo batteries. Those who want to be competitive take the time to learn the cars and how to adjust the cars to their track / driving skill. Trying to create a "cheap, easy to adjust" F1 class on a national level will only dilute the current F1 fields not to mention what manufacture would want to spend the time and money to create molds and design this "simple F1" for such a limited market ?

Panda
Kevin CBR is offline  
Old 10-14-2017, 04:38 PM
  #13701  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (30)
 
NutDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,050
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Red RC ? RC Car News TRG working on budget pan car kit

Panda,
This is what I was thinking of. It isn't as inexpensive as I would like, but not horrible.

Reading the ad, it seems that some industrious person here could simply cut the one-piece fiberglass chassis and allow competitors to build their own cars.......but that leaves a lot of room for inventiveness.

Scott
NutDriver is offline  
Old 10-14-2017, 04:44 PM
  #13702  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (30)
 
NutDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,050
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

While not conducive to open wheel bodies, this is certainly cheap and has minimal adjustments.2020 Sport 3.2 1/10 Scale Pan Car Kit
NutDriver is offline  
Old 10-14-2017, 05:16 PM
  #13703  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Kevin CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: "Racing Budget" is an oxymoron
Posts: 3,984
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Red RC ? RC Car News TRG working on budget pan car kit

Panda,
This is what I was thinking of. It isn't as inexpensive as I would like, but not horrible.

Reading the ad, it seems that some industrious person here could simply cut the one-piece fiberglass chassis and allow competitors to build their own cars.......but that leaves a lot of room for inventiveness.

Scott
And as we all know, inventiveness = $$$. Someone will want to be at the top of the pack and will spend more to create a more competitive car.

I just get miffed when I see these suggestions on all different threads about how someone needs to create a low cost budget class that will suddenly open the flood gates for new and old racers when what most mean is they want a class that is cheap, do little to no work on the set-up but still be in the top three.

Racing is a competition and some of us will work harder to be better. I had a good run at IIC this year and finished fourth in the F1 class. Rather than whine about being a privateer running against the factory drivers in the class, I look at it as a challenge to make myself better and have made friends with some who have in turn given me helpful suggestions that have helped me go faster. When back at my local track, I am more than happy to help other F1 racers with set-ups because if we can help others at our local tracks get better and enjoy racing in the class, the class will stay around longer. My running joke is I will be happy to help them until they get to within 0.3 secs of my lap time, then they are on their own !

Panda
Rick Vessell likes this.

Last edited by Kevin CBR; 10-14-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Kevin CBR is offline  
Old 10-14-2017, 07:08 PM
  #13704  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 609
Default

Originally Posted by aracefan
Are we talking asphalt outdoors?? That I can see, not on the black rug...
Yep. Low/med grip
ixlr8nz is offline  
Old 10-14-2017, 07:48 PM
  #13705  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Plantation, FL
Posts: 585
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
Yep. Low/med grip
Just curious, what tires are you using on this surface?
astgerma52sp is offline  
Old 10-14-2017, 08:06 PM
  #13706  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 609
Default

Originally Posted by astgerma52sp
Just curious, what tires are you using on this surface?
Foams
ixlr8nz is offline  
Old 10-15-2017, 06:10 AM
  #13707  
Tech Master
 
Lone Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 1,268
Default

Originally Posted by NutDriver
While not conducive to open wheel bodies, this is certainly cheap and has minimal adjustments.2020 Sport 3.2 1/10 Scale Pan Car Kit
I was thinking of that RJ speed chassis , I was going to buy one and use thier stock motor get people inerested in a spec class . ( Pesonally I would prefer a F1 type class)

What really Bugs me is that Spec classes are not done because there is NO Profit in it and thats all what the World is about now,

Last edited by Lone Drifter; 10-15-2017 at 06:40 AM.
Lone Drifter is offline  
Old 10-15-2017, 06:57 AM
  #13708  
Tech Master
 
Lone Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 1,268
Default

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
And as we all know, inventiveness = $$$. Someone will want to be at the top of the pack and will spend more to create a more competitive car.

I just get miffed when I see these suggestions on all different threads about how someone needs to create a low cost budget class that will suddenly open the flood gates for new and old racers when what most mean is they want a class that is cheap, do little to no work on the set-up but still be in the top three.

Racing is a competition and some of us will work harder to be better. I had a good run at IIC this year and finished fourth in the F1 class. Rather than whine about being a privateer running against the factory drivers in the class, I look at it as a challenge to make myself better and have made friends with some who have in turn given me helpful suggestions that have helped me go faster. When back at my local track, I am more than happy to help other F1 racers with set-ups because if we can help others at our local tracks get better and enjoy racing in the class, the class will stay around longer. My running joke is I will be happy to help them until they get to within 0.3 secs of my lap time, then they are on their own !
Panda
Ok that may be fine for you spend as much as you want , You shouldnt be so happy about denying other people the fun of racing because they dont or cant spend on Full blown racing setups. You see people on these forums talk about Spec racing because there is a Need . and dont say VTA or GT thats more expensive then F1
hotrodchevy14 likes this.
Lone Drifter is offline  
Old 10-15-2017, 07:08 AM
  #13709  
Tech Master
 
Lone Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 1,268
Default

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Red RC ? RC Car News TRG working on budget pan car kit

Panda,
This is what I was thinking of. It isn't as inexpensive as I would like, but not horrible.

Reading the ad, it seems that some industrious person here could simply cut the one-piece fiberglass chassis and allow competitors to build their own cars.......but that leaves a lot of room for inventiveness.

Scott
That car is about was I was thinking about , Cool . Now I have somewhere to look.
Lone Drifter is offline  
Old 10-15-2017, 01:20 PM
  #13710  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Kevin CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: "Racing Budget" is an oxymoron
Posts: 3,984
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
Ok that may be fine for you spend as much as you want , You shouldnt be so happy about denying other people the fun of racing because they dont or cant spend on Full blown racing setups. You see people on these forums talk about Spec racing because there is a Need . and dont say VTA or GT thats more expensive then F1
Sorry if you think I am happy about denying anybody anything, shows you don't know me at all. If you want to race for the fun of it, just run what you have and be happy if you are at the front, middle or back of the pack. But if you want to race for cheap AND win, don't put the blame on other racers or those nasty manufactures who actually want to make a profit for their risk and investment. If there is such a great need, I am sure you can find a group of like minded people at your local track and create your own low cost class and have a great time ! Let us know how that new class you and your friends take your time to create works out. Maybe other people will want to try it at their local tracks as well.

Panda
Kevin CBR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.