Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Like Tree2944Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Old 03-29-2015, 06:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BadSign
Two question:

1: how much dual rate should I set my front end for, or in other words, how much of angle do you allow your front wheels to turn? I'm sure maximum steering throw isn't the best. This is for PS 571's on carpet.

2: Should I plan on using much drag brake? I use none in 1/12, but with rubber tires I'm sure that's a different story.
YoDog has pretty much covered this.

1. I'd not want to be running full steering throw. Most modern rubber F1 cars will generate more than enough grip with PS 571s to give great steering with a lot less than that. And using too much lock will scrub off speed in the corner. Work on additive and car set up then rub as little steering throw as you need.

2. I know drivers that do run drag brake, and others that do not. After years of 12th and World GT my preference is not to brake and unsettle the car. But it is something I'm going to try.

Too much will of course make the rear of the car snap around. So I'd suggest starting low and working up.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Old 03-29-2015, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Two question:

1: how much dual rate should I set my front end for, or in other words, how much of angle do you allow your front wheels to turn? I'm sure maximum steering throw isn't the best. This is for PS 571's on carpet.
Hard to say but I wind up with 60-75% most of the time. Too little makes the car feel weird. I tend to find that trying to run too little throw is as bad as too much. Like these guys said, too much is like brakes on the front end.

I am also an advocate of reducing steering SPEED on the radio as well. Most servos are crazy fast, and reducing speed makes the car feel better. I have gone as low as 40% on asphalt, and I am usually around 50-70% on carpet.

Also, glue on the sidewall is your friend. You will be able to sauce more tire without traction roll and twitchy-ness.

2: Should I plan on using much drag brake? I use none in 1/12, but with rubber tires I'm sure that's a different story.
I like some drag brake, but I like a bit of a brush motor feel.

Really you should also set up your push brake to work without snatching the rear tires. Just keep reducing epa until it feels good. If your esc has brake frequency or feel make it as smooth as possible. ABS is also your friend. Usually there are a couple turns on every track that push brake makes the car faster wthout bigtime setup compromises.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk

Also, glue on the sidewall is your friend. You will be able to sauce more tire without traction roll and twitchy-ness.

I like some drag brake, but I like a bit of a brush motor feel.

Really you should also set up your push brake to work without snatching the rear tires. Just keep reducing epa until it feels good. If your esc has brake frequency or feel make it as smooth as possible. ABS is also your friend. Usually there are a couple turns on every track that push brake makes the car faster wthout bigtime setup compromises.
Very good suggestions. Many guys are surprised how far I can drive into a 180 corner and late brake them. Set up to trailbrake works perfect as long as there is decent traction. On carpet it works awesome.

Gluing sidewalls is also a great tuning aid. Local F1 guys to me are like what the heck are you talking about? Keeping the sidewall integrity helps smooth the car out. Less grabby etc etc.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey all!

I'm going to the AOC race in Shanghai, where they use the local rules of 17.5 motors. Its a snowbirds-size carpet track. Anyone have a good starting Spur/Pinion for the faster motor? Running and Reedy Sonic Mach2. Thanks!

Last edited by EricPF; 03-30-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but good luck in Shanghai Eric.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EricPF
Hey all!

I'm going to the AOC race in Shanghai, where they use the local rules of 17.5 motors. Its a snowbirds-size carpet track. Anyone have a good starting Spur/Pinion for the faster motor? Running and Reedy Sonic Mach2. Thanks!
Hey Eric,

I think the Australian F1 Nationals used to run 17.5 motors. Try this page for some basic gearing advice:

http://www.rcformula1.com.au/index.p...th-blinky-escs

The FDR of 3.2 recommended as starting point for 17.5 would be 30/96 as 64dp pinion/spur.

I'd say start 4 teeth smaller than you run a 21.5 (one tooth for every motor turn), and only ramp up the timing when you have good grip. You'll have much better punch with the 17.5

AOC looks tempting, and I've always wanted to race at Yatabe. Good luck and have fun in Shanghai!!!

Cheers,
Mark
Old 03-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MarkBurgess
Hey Eric,

I think the Australian F1 Nationals used to run 17.5 motors. Try this page for some basic gearing advice:

http://www.rcformula1.com.au/index.p...th-blinky-escs

The FDR of 3.2 recommended as starting point for 17.5 would be 30/96 as 64dp pinion/spur.

I'd say start 4 teeth smaller than you run a 21.5 (one tooth for every motor turn), and only ramp up the timing when you have good grip. You'll have much better punch with the 17.5

AOC looks tempting, and I've always wanted to race at Yatabe. Good luck and have fun in Shanghai!!!

Cheers,
Mark
Thanks Mark! Exactly what I needed.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Which chassis are you running, Eric?
Old 03-30-2015, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Wow. That's a lot more info then i expected. Thanks for all the information guys, I plan on putting it to use this week.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Which chassis are you running, Eric?
F1 (17.5)
TC 13.5 Blinky (which is their slowest TC class..talk about our "stock' being too fast!)
Old 03-30-2015, 10:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi guys,
What do most use to glue their tires to the rims?
CA glue doesnt seem right but I had an idea that maybe TEC7 construction glue would do the trick perfectly. Anyone ever tried this?
I started on preglued Ride R1 but the sidewalls seem to be tearing, the TEC7 would flex along somewhat...
Thanks,
Dirk
Old 03-31-2015, 12:13 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I use AKA tire glue and haven't gone back to anything else.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

What kind of Lipo battery do you use in your F1?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quante
Hi guys,
What do most use to glue their tires to the rims?
CA glue doesnt seem right but I had an idea that maybe TEC7 construction glue would do the trick perfectly. Anyone ever tried this?
I started on preglued Ride R1 but the sidewalls seem to be tearing, the TEC7 would flex along somewhat...
Thanks,
Dirk
+1 on the AKA tire glue as Dan said. I have never had a tire start to peel from the rim.

As for the Rides tearing - I had this happen as well. I would end up re-glueing the tears after virtually every run. It was a pain but it did the trick.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by wwddww34
What kind of Lipo battery do you use in your F1?
I personally have like the SMC Racing batteries. They have very low IR. They had a 4600 Mah shorty.

Unfortunately, they are having issue with thier suppliers, so I am hunting for an alternatve myself right now.

Does anyone else have any recomendations?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.