Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Like Tree2928Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Old 03-16-2015, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Anyone know where the Tamiya F60 wing set is available? I am in need to complete my current build.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racenut123
Anyone know where the Tamiya F60 wing set is available? I am in need to complete my current build.
Hi, Many on e-bay. n2
No
Old 03-20-2015, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Norman2
Hi, Many on e-bay. n2
No

full body sets no wings.

anyone use a Trinity D4 1S yet? gearing/timing suggestions?
Old 03-21-2015, 05:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racenut123
full body sets no wings.

anyone use a Trinity D4 1S yet? gearing/timing suggestions?
Hi, For the wing try TQ racing
Norman2
Old 03-21-2015, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

For those of you who raced at snowbirds, what gear ratio/rollout did you use?
Old 03-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sorry if this question was answered in the previous 739 pages, ..if it was I couldn't find it.
-------

I currently race in a 17.5 TC/Sedan and 21.5 Tamiya Mini class in our club. I was thinking of joining in a 3rd class, our club races F1 which appeals to me. I love the looks of the F1 cars.

Here is my question as I contemplate this. How would you describe the F1 cars as handling/driving compared to other on road cars? Are they smooth and planted like a TC car or twitchy like a Tamiya 2WD Mini? Our club runs 21.5t brushless in the F1's.

Second question, and I realize this is subjective, but is there a particular brand of F1 to stay away from? I like TOP racing's other cars, how is there F1?

thanks!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Well that depends on if your club is running foam tire rules or rubber rules and what kind of grip level it is. High grip on foam is going to be smooth and planted. Low grip on foam will be spinning donuts. Rubber tires in either case will have a lot of understeer with throttle induced oversteer if you get on the throttle too hard.

TOP cars are good but again you'll need to check with your local club. The stock TOP front suspension may not be allowed at your local club but you can mount a Tamiya front end on it and it will be fine.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
Sorry if this question was answered in the previous 739 pages, ..if it was I couldn't find it.
-------

I currently race in a 17.5 TC/Sedan and 21.5 Tamiya Mini class in our club. I was thinking of joining in a 3rd class, our club races F1 which appeals to me. I love the looks of the F1 cars.

Here is my question as I contemplate this. How would you describe the F1 cars as handling/driving compared to other on road cars? Are they smooth and planted like a TC car or twitchy like a Tamiya 2WD Mini? Our club runs 21.5t brushless in the F1's.

Second question, and I realize this is subjective, but is there a particular brand of F1 to stay away from? I like TOP racing's other cars, how is there F1?

thanks!
Are you running on carpet or pavement?

I feel that carpet can be easier due to the increased grip and smoothness of the surface. If properly set up, they can be quite fun to drive and are pretty nimble. If set up "iffy", they can be a real handful. There is something about rubber tires on a pan chassis that is tricky to set up well.
My favorite F1 cars that I have either driven or seen driven would be the new Xray X1 and the CRC WTF-1. I have heard some nice things about the VBC lightning F1 as well. Then there is the tried and true Tamiya models which have plenty of aftermarket parts and setup resources.
The key is getting the right tires for your track. the wrong tires will make it a real challenge to get the setup consistent.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info guys,

We run on asphalt, hi-grip. It's a tighter course, with lots of turns.

The tires our F1's run are rubber,
we follow these rules:
http://www.rcfia.com/regulations/

I think tweaking a car is 1/2 the fun, so that I don't mind, ...I really love the way F1 cars look.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

80% of setup is finding the right tires. Ask the others at your club and see what they are running. F1 is blast, go for it!
Old 03-23-2015, 04:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by eR1c
Thanks for the info guys,

We run on asphalt, hi-grip. It's a tighter course, with lots of turns.

The tires our F1's run are rubber,
we follow these rules:
http://www.rcfia.com/regulations/

I think tweaking a car is 1/2 the fun, so that I don't mind, ...I really love the way F1 cars look.
the top car is good, you have to run the tamiya front suspension though.
pit shimizu 571/572 at both norcal and SWR
the Xray X1 has been dominating at both tracks so far
Old 03-23-2015, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks guys, this is all very helpful.
Now just need to figure out what one of my cars to sell ....I really can't add more to the stable. Replace/not add!
Old 03-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Formula cars can be an addiction. I have already four... Another guy from my club has cupboards full of Tamiya shelfqueens...
At least I run half of my collection. I nearly finished my preparations for my F201. Today I put it on the Zeppin tweaker scale and was very surprised how well balanced the car is:

Outside it will run a 10.5t X20 with Nosram Pearl v2 and these foam tires.

This is the shelfqueen look (after I return to my F1R2):

Old 03-28-2015, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Two question:

1: how much dual rate should I set my front end for, or in other words, how much of angle do you allow your front wheels to turn? I'm sure maximum steering throw isn't the best. This is for PS 571's on carpet.

2: Should I plan on using much drag brake? I use none in 1/12, but with rubber tires I'm sure that's a different story.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BadSign
Two question:

1: how much dual rate should I set my front end for, or in other words, how much of angle do you allow your front wheels to turn? I'm sure maximum steering throw isn't the best. This is for PS 571's on carpet.

2: Should I plan on using much drag brake? I use none in 1/12, but with rubber tires I'm sure that's a different story.
There really isn't any specific settings to use. It depends on many factors and you can only determine these factors by running the car on a consistent surface and working at it. The amount of steering throw depends on how well the car is turning. How well the car turns is dependent upon tires, weight transfer, geometry and grip level. To condense it down to a couple of radio settings isn't going to suffice.
Drag brake will help by adding weight transfer to the front tires thus providing more steering at corner entry. How much to use depends on many factors, once again. Keep dialing it up till it feels right. Too much drag brake will make the rear end break loose at turn in and slow the car too much, losing momentum. There are countless Radio, motor, gearing and ESC combinations that will affect how much or how little drag brake you will achieve for a given percentage. You can only compensate for the conditions as they are so different from place to place, time to time and person to person. There is no magic combination, you simply have to practice and try different settings. Learn what effects they introduce and work at it.

I hope this is helpful...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.