Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Suspended

Hi Guys!

Took the plunge, Ordering my TRF 101 tomorrow (If I can find stock ).

Now I have chosen my Chassis, Im a little stuck! Here is where I'm hoping the experienced guys on this forum can help.

Before anyone tells me to use google and bugger off - I have been reading threads and searching high and low on the internet for the past 7 days I have done some research!

Ok, I need more stuff! Firstly, I need a motor. Im so confused. I have looked at the UF1 rules, so that narrows my choices down a bit. But I have no idea of the differences between them all. What difference does a sensored motor make??

I also need servo's. Im willing to spend decent money here, and I want something easy to use, and with great reliability. Something that moves nice and smooth, and will fit straight on the TRF101 with no problems.

Then there comes the reciever. I have a budget of £200 for this ($300 ish). So I want something good! Something that is easy to use, and something I can learn to use over time. Again, I dont know what all you guys are using, so help here would be great.

ESC - I must be honest, I have no idea what this does. But I need one. Any recommendations?

Lastly - Tires. Im sure I will go through a few different tires in my time, and come to my own conclusions, However, Im after something a little different that I cant find anywhere. Im after realistic looking F1 intermediates, and Full Wets. My car will be a shelf queen as well as a racer! So details are important to me.
Will have to get some of the tire stickers to denote Prime/Option/inters/wets etc.
Anyone know where I can get tires with tread that matches the current Pirelli's?

Ok, Im sorry for the massive post, But I will be grateful for any information you guys can help me out with. Looking forward to joining the F1 Crowd!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Anyone know since the Exotek F1 wheels are nylon, they could be safely boiled to removed old tires without warping?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by simmo0916
Hi Guys!

Took the plunge, Ordering my TRF 101 tomorrow (If I can find stock ).

Now I have chosen my Chassis, Im a little stuck! Here is where I'm hoping the experienced guys on this forum can help.

Before anyone tells me to use google and bugger off - I have been reading threads and searching high and low on the internet for the past 7 days I have done some research!

Ok, I need more stuff! Firstly, I need a motor. Im so confused. I have looked at the UF1 rules, so that narrows my choices down a bit. But I have no idea of the differences between them all. What difference does a sensored motor make??

I also need servo's. Im willing to spend decent money here, and I want something easy to use, and with great reliability. Something that moves nice and smooth, and will fit straight on the TRF101 with no problems.

Then there comes the reciever. I have a budget of £200 for this ($300 ish). So I want something good! Something that is easy to use, and something I can learn to use over time. Again, I dont know what all you guys are using, so help here would be great.

ESC - I must be honest, I have no idea what this does. But I need one. Any recommendations?

Lastly - Tires. Im sure I will go through a few different tires in my time, and come to my own conclusions, However, Im after something a little different that I cant find anywhere. Im after realistic looking F1 intermediates, and Full Wets. My car will be a shelf queen as well as a racer! So details are important to me.
Will have to get some of the tire stickers to denote Prime/Option/inters/wets etc.
Anyone know where I can get tires with tread that matches the current Pirelli's?

Ok, Im sorry for the massive post, But I will be grateful for any information you guys can help me out with. Looking forward to joining the F1 Crowd!
Nice choice on the chassis and welcome to F1!

Motor: I like the reedy sonic V2 motors as they are super smooth, also have used speed passion motors with luck, but beware you will probably need to purchase the upgraded yellow sensor board. In my UF1 area the rules are pretty much any 21.5 ROAR approved motor works.

ESC - Since you are running such a high turn motor you don't really need the super heavy duty speedos. I am personally a huge fan of Orion ESCs. They recently released an R10 Pro stock version that saves you some good money. I have also heard the speed passion escs are pretty good as well and are not as much but have not tried them out myself.

Servos - I would suggest a low profile servo so that you can lay the servo down. I have done a lot of testing with multiple different types of servos and have found that KO Propo RSX servos are hands down my favorite and will not change from them. The servo you would want is the RSX One 10. This servo is going to be on the higher end of servo world but trust me when I say they are the most reliable and most people in the forums would agree these are the cream of the crop of servos.

Receiver - I always feel like the radio is a personal choice because of the "feel of the radio". Airtronics, futaba, radiopost, Spektrum, and KO all make radios that are within your budget or at your budget. I personally use an M12 and it amazing. I would suggest going to your local hobby shop that has some of these radios and hold them in your hand. Whichever feels the best is the one I would go with. Almost all of them have some form of adjustment for throttle stiffness and steering wheel stiffness as well along with tons of adjustments and some that will tend to make more sense as you develop into the sport.

Tires - All dependent on the type of track you are running at.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by OnRDPassion
Nice choice on the chassis and welcome to F1!

Motor: I like the reedy sonic V2 motors as they are super smooth, also have used speed passion motors with luck, but beware you will probably need to purchase the upgraded yellow sensor board. In my UF1 area the rules are pretty much any 21.5 ROAR approved motor works.

ESC - Since you are running such a high turn motor you don't really need the super heavy duty speedos. I am personally a huge fan of Orion ESCs. They recently released an R10 Pro stock version that saves you some good money. I have also heard the speed passion escs are pretty good as well and are not as much but have not tried them out myself.

Servos - I would suggest a low profile servo so that you can lay the servo down. I have done a lot of testing with multiple different types of servos and have found that KO Propo RSX servos are hands down my favorite and will not change from them. The servo you would want is the RSX One 10. This servo is going to be on the higher end of servo world but trust me when I say they are the most reliable and most people in the forums would agree these are the cream of the crop of servos.

Receiver - I always feel like the radio is a personal choice because of the "feel of the radio". Airtronics, futaba, radiopost, Spektrum, and KO all make radios that are within your budget or at your budget. I personally use an M12 and it amazing. I would suggest going to your local hobby shop that has some of these radios and hold them in your hand. Whichever feels the best is the one I would go with. Almost all of them have some form of adjustment for throttle stiffness and steering wheel stiffness as well along with tons of adjustments and some that will tend to make more sense as you develop into the sport.

Tires - All dependent on the type of track you are running at.

Hope this helps!

Great Info! Im looking up all the stuff you posted!

This is going to be a really stupid question... I take it I will only need one servo due to the TRF101 being direct drive? Or is a second one needed for acceleration?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Suspended

In fact, Ignore my stupid question. If I am reading it right, the ESC is what controls my acceleration, and not a servo. So Only one servo (for my steering) is needed.

My last couple of Tamiya kits (years ago) used two servo's.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by big-al
i sound like an old man now!!!
Sure do AL, That was my favorite livery, I remember making cars that look a lot like the rides out there today. But yes AL we are Old men well that's what my wife tells me anyway, I got 10 years on her
Old 06-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

In fact, Ignore my stupid question. If I am reading it right, the ESC is what controls my acceleration, and not a servo. So Only one servo (for my steering) is needed.

My last couple of Tamiya kits (years ago) used two servo's.
Correct only one servo is needed!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by texastc
Welcome to the addiction. I can recommend F1paintlabs as many of us can and will. Decals, parts, kits and complete paintjobs. Plus BP is a pretty cool dude in general. He did this one up for me last Summer.

Being an avid addict of F1 I can easily say F1PaintLabs is the best anywhere on the planet.

Those who know me know I shop globally and often. I will always trust Brad for the best CUSTOM decals and production sets.

He has built cars for me and out fitted my team with decals no one else even thought of!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Default F1paintlabs

Genshed62,

You are absolutely right about Brad (F1paintlabs). I've known and raced with Brad for around 20 years now and have to second your positive comments as being one of the best around in truely wanting to support the ever popular F1 cars. He has devoted an emense amount of personal time and energy to help give all of us F1 enthusiasts exactly what we are looking for and more. And he is doing it all by himself. It's real good to see good comments like yours about Brad......he really deserves it.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Any race motor will be sensored, basher motors are generally unsensored. Unsensored are cheaper, but as the motor can't tell the ESC what position the rotor is in the power delivery is not as smooth. You don't want an unsensored motor in an F1. If you are planning on racing don't go off the ROAR motor list, we use the BRCA/EFRA motor list which has different motors on it and the F1 class allows any 21.5T motor which has had the same motor approved in a different wind, so for example if a 10.5T motor is approved you can use the same brand of motor even though it isn't homologated for 21.5T. of course if you aren't planning on running at a major race meeting then there is nothing to stop you running whatever motor you want.

Take your pick of motors, popular ones in the UK were HPI Flux and Thunder Power, personally I use Hobbywing and Speed Passion, with a Mardave G2 brushed as an option as it is quicker than brushless in certain circumstances.

Take your pick, plenty of options around. Look for a 'low profile' servo if you want to mount it with the servo arm on top, as shown in the TRF101. My first choice would be the Futaba S9551, the smaller version is almost universally used in 1/12th but that really is money no object. A cheaper option is the Savox SC-1251.

Can't help if you want a wheel radio, almost every racer I know uses sticks. For £200 there's an easy choice the Sanwa Gemini-X is way above anything else, unless your budget can stretch to the Sanwa Exzes-X. Stay away from the cheap and nasty Core-RC/Etronix/Tamco radios, they are prone for failing.

ESC stands for Electronic Speed Control, pretty self explanatory. It controls the motor. Popular ESCs amongst pan car racers are the Hobbywing 120A v2.1 and the smaller Hobbywing Xtreme Stock, and the LRP FLux. I use the Xtreme Stock and I'm more than happy with it's performance.

Lastly - Tires. Im sure I will go through a few different tires in my time, and come to my own conclusions, ..
Anyone know where I can get tires with tread that matches the current Pirelli's
You can't. All tyres for the F104 are slicks. The Pit Shimizu 571 and 572 tyres are recommended, any other modern tyre is pretty much untested on UK tracks at the moment and what works in California will not necessarily work on our colder tracks.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

So here is the latest offering from the Lab

And coming in the next few days

Just need to finish the art for Kimis helmet
Old 06-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
So here is the latest offering from the Lab

And coming in the next few days

Just need to finish the art for Kimis helmet
Ooh. That torro Rosso looks good. Might have to pick that one up.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Sickness !

Oh my....

Old 06-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Brad i love the toro LOL!!!!

i just cant deside on the helmet color the sun visor will stay white for sure........whos the man behind the ask

Old 06-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by big-al
Brad i love the toro LOL!!!!

i just cant deside on the helmet color the sun visor will stay white for sure........whos the man behind the ask

If you keep the visor or "peak" as they used to call it, white, and then paint the helmet dark navy blue, you would have Jim Clark's helmet.......the best there ever was!! Does the guy you bought this drivers head from sell these to other people besides yourself? That's the best I've seen so far!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.