Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigwavedave33
Robert,

Ned AKA aacobra is down in Easley. He said they have a few cars there. Mine came in yesterday! I just got it to tinker with since I like 2wd over 4... I was going to get an F104 V2, but found a kyosho in the classifieds. There are a couple exotek F1Rs in the classifieds!
I'll have to look! I guess I'm looking for the 'standard' kit and something that will run nice on our un-prepped surfaces. It has to be scale so I guess that is why I'm leaning Tamiya right now.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can vouch for the F1R its a very good car.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Hey

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
I'll have to look! I guess I'm looking for the 'standard' kit and something that will run nice on our un-prepped surfaces. It has to be scale so I guess that is why I'm leaning Tamiya right now.
DR, This is Ned. Hope you get something and we can all get together and see how the different cars compare. We are getting our track together in Easley and the Grove is running as well. There is a group in Asheville that races at the HobbyTown. AND one in Orangeburg too!
We haven't tried to talk about an F1 class here yet but there are at least 3 of us with cars and hopfully we can run F1 soon.

I have a couple of "extra" FGX's that are pretty well optioned and hope to have them set up for guys to try if I don't sell them first.

Where do you run, the Grove?

Later,
Ned
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Default ;-)

Originally Posted by NutDriver

Maybe an early 50's body?
You're messing with me, aren't you!!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Default Tech Front End on VF1

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
Looking forward to seeing pictures of the Tech front end mounted on the car, and a report on how you did it, and how well it works, Ned.
Ok, Mr. Lotus, here you go!! It has the right general shape but to proportions are off. I may be able to change the angle from under the nose to make the arms go upwards, but I think they look a bit long. They did come with some rear links on the top and bottom. The top just used the rocker but the bottom had the link to make a proper a-arm.

I painted it with some special chrome paint for lexan ($15/can (small can)) but ot came out dull aluminum. The stuff looks great on lexan...

I guess they look a bit more correct but there are no easy adjustments and they probably won't work as will as the other FE's on the track.

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-f49-ta1.jpg

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-l49-ta2.jpg

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-l49-ta3.jpg

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-l49-ta4.jpg

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-tech104190c.jpg
Old 04-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aarcobra
DR, This is Ned. Hope you get something and we can all get together and see how the different cars compare. We are getting our track together in Easley and the Grove is running as well. There is a group in Asheville that races at the HobbyTown. AND one in Orangeburg too!
We haven't tried to talk about an F1 class here yet but there are at least 3 of us with cars and hopfully we can run F1 soon.

I have a couple of "extra" FGX's that are pretty well optioned and hope to have them set up for guys to try if I don't sell them first.

Where do you run, the Grove?

Later,
Ned
Yes I normally race at the Grove. I'm one of the guys that has been pushing to get VTA going this year. Once I heard that some guys in the area had F1s the search for one was on. Dave is a bad influence LOL. I'd love to get together for some fun runs!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Ok, Mr. Lotus, here you go!! It has the right general shape but to proportions are off. I may be able to change the angle from under the nose to make the arms go upwards, but I think they look a bit long. They did come with some rear links on the top and bottom. The top just used the rocker but the bottom had the link to make a proper a-arm.

I painted it with some special chrome paint for lexan ($15/can (small can)) but ot came out dull aluminum. The stuff looks great on lexan...

I guess they look a bit more correct but there are no easy adjustments and they probably won't work as will as the other FE's on the track.

Attachment 1052368

Attachment 1052369

Attachment 1052370

Attachment 1052371

Attachment 1052372
Actually Ned, I think they are the right length, I don't think they are too long at all. They definitely look the closest to the real thing of anything else! The standard F104 arms make the front too narrow, and I suspect the F103 arms would be too wide; but these Tech arms look good! What does this make the front width at? What is your rear width? Hopefully the front is not wider than the rear. What was involved in adapting the front uprights and hubs to these Tech arms? If you can change the angle to make the arms go up, that would be cool!

One last question for now: What width are your HPI VTA wheels/tires? Are you using the actual 31mm wide wheels? They make 26mm for the front and 31mm for the rear; can't tell from your pictures whether your rears are wider than your fronts.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

I have to agree. These arms look close to the original. If you want to be closer you have to do them yourself.

Today Jim Clark sat down in my car the first time. No driving just looking

He still needs his scarf for racing. I don't know yet what to take for that. Maybe a piece of an old white tshirt. Do you guys have an idea what would look good?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wtcc
I have to agree. These arms look close to the original. If you want to be closer you have to do them yourself.

Today Jim Clark sat down in my car the first time. No driving just looking

He still needs his scarf for racing. I don't know yet what to take for that. Maybe a piece of an old white tshirt. Do you guys have an idea what would look good?
wtcc, where did you get that driver's head? It looks just like Jim Clark!! I want one!
I would just use a piece of white cloth or an old white handkerchief cut to size to make the face scarf. But I need to know where you got that driver head!!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

I am glad you like it!
It is this item: Tamiya Toyota Bruiser 4x4 driver #54416

I had to add the white visor and his goggle. The visor is made out of the plastic inlay of this: http://shop.edeka24.de/out/pictures/...4_relaunch.png
Below the golden chocolate balls I cut out a part and glued it to the helmet with Shoegoo. The goggle is made out of the same package xD but I used the clear upper part. You can also use any thin lexan. Cut out a goggle shape in the right size, paint the edges black and glue it to the helmet. I searched the net for good pics of Jim. For example this one:
http://f1.imgci.com/PICTURES/CMS/8300/8353.jpg

As colours I used:

Flat Flesh XF-15 for the face,
White PS-1 for the visor,
Metallic Blue PS-16 for his eyes,
Black PS-5 for the inner helmet cushion (on both sides of the face),
Silver PS-12 for the press buttons of the visor and the rivets for the chin strap
and a 70% / 30% mix of PS-16 Metallic Blue and PS-5 Black for the helmet colour.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

wtcc Outstanding Job! I got my body from Manny today, I see it will need a new F104W or a F104?, I am still going with the Honda RA300 Just need the right decals, Again Great Job!

Last edited by Marty Peterson; 04-05-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:40 PM
pbr
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1 on the F1R we run it on asphalt with rubber and foam tires and on carpet oval The other cars don't come close to it
Old 04-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Pulled the trigger on the new VBC racing Flash-04. Will post pics and write up as soon as am in receipt / able.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Tech Regular

I dunno, it looks more like Dan Gurney to me.....
Old 04-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Default Gurney

Originally Posted by Manny
I dunno, it looks more like Dan Gurney to me.....
I thought so too but the white visor was Clark, Dan's was black!!

Great job guys! I think that is the same head I used. Did it come with a nearly complete body? Look back in here somewhere and I found a Williams Bros. airplane pilot with grat goggles.

I used "medical" gause for the scarf. It's thin and kinda cam be molded to fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.