Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Like Tree2848Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Old 02-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default F104W Exotek F1R body issue / question

So I'm new to f1 and I'm really excited to get into this hobby at the local track.

I have a question regarding my F104W. In the process of building my kit I picked up an Exotek f1R chassis. After completing my build I noticed that the body does not fit correctly towards the rear of the car as the chassis does not clear.

Here is my main question, I'm wanting to create a Stars and Stripes 2009 A1GP style f1 car. Is it possible for an f104 body to fit onto an f104w even with minor front end modifications?

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A1GPFR1
So I'm new to f1 and I'm really excited to get into this hobby at the local track.

I have a question regarding my F104W. In the process of building my kit I picked up an Exotek f1R chassis. After completing my build I noticed that the body does not fit correctly towards the rear of the car as the chassis does not clear.

Here is my main question, I'm wanting to create a Stars and Stripes 2009 A1GP style f1 car. Is it possible for an f104 body to fit onto an f104w even with minor front end modifications?

Thanks for your help!
The newer style modern F1 bodies will fit with some cutting here and there. You would just need to measure where you need to cut. I put one on my F104W and it just need some cutting at the front to fit around the 103 front arms.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:00 PM

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

HI Guys,

Ive just purchased a brand new TRG111 with the necessary extras

Are there any aftermarket hop ups needed other than the mandatory extras for better performace/longevity?

Also, Ride or Shimizu tyres?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OOOYAH
HI Guys,

Ive just purchased a brand new TRG111 with the necessary extras

Are there any aftermarket hop ups needed other than the mandatory extras for better performace/longevity?

Also, Ride or Shimizu tyres?

Thanks in advance
I think most will tell you the Pits are the way to go. A few post up you see a review of someone using he rides and they were less then desirable. It all really comes down to what kind of track you are running on, carpet/asphalt.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 PM

Thanks for that, the Pits seem to have a good reviews online

Itll be used at TFTR in Melbourne ,Australia which is asphalt
Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jerz616
I think most will tell you the Pits are the way to go. A few post up you see a review of someone using he rides and they were less then desirable. It all really comes down to what kind of track you are running on, carpet/asphalt.
My experience so far with the Rides is that they are brilliant when first out of the packet, but by the time you've put 2 or 3 runs on them they turn to crap... worse that some tourer tyres
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by A1GPFR1

Thanks for your help!
Depending which body you use and if you use the optional side pods...you will probably have to cut up the body a lot with the normal F104 bodies to clear the side links of the F1R chassis. I'm rather surprised the F104W body didn't fit right at the rear...are you using the Wolfe or the Lotus? My Lotus looks like it should fit fine.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Its funny how different we all are with tyres.
I race on a highgrip track 1 week,low grip slippery track that grooves up during the night with more grip the next.

I love my Ride R1's,the more i run them,the better they get!!
There currently 4-5 months old,and done millions of laps.
I did find that they like a different setup compared to the Pits though,and there's certain conditions were the Pits are the only tyre that works.
Super cold track,its Pits only.

I find the Pits need a swaybar to be comfortable for me,they dont like being weight transferred on and off them too much,get twitchy.So,if I dont drive smoothly,they can bite me.The concentration required to drive them smooth I can manage,but sometimes not the whole race.

Whereas the R1's are way more forgiving,I dont need a swaybar on them,and I can throw the car around a lot more,and when they let go,its a controllable slide,rather than a snappy spin like the Pits.

The R1's also slide in the warm up laps when they are cold,so I rip a few donuts in both directions to warm them up,works a charm.At the end of the run they have more grip than what they started with,and are quite warm/hot to touch.The Pits just stay like ice.

For me,currently,the R1's are easily the better tyre,teamed with Medium front Pits.

Im still slower than my mate who is running Pits all round,and he normally wins,but thats my driving to blame,not so much my tyre choice.

I intend on doing a back to back test session with both tyres,and the S1 Ride rears again soon,just to see if there is a big difference.
In our Tea break/test session,back to back the R1's are better over the Pits,the same test,Sean likes the Pits.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What is everyone running for f104 v2 ride height on carpet? I've seen everything from 3.5-6mm.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Peli
I race on a highgrip track 1 week,low grip slippery track that grooves up during the night with more grip the next.

I did find that they like a different setup compared to the Pits though,and there's certain conditions were the Pits are the only tyre that works.

I find the Pits need a swaybar to be comfortable for me,they dont like being weight transferred on and off them too much,get twitchy.So,if I dont drive smoothly,they can bite me.The concentration required to drive them smooth I can manage,but sometimes not the whole race.

Whereas the R1's are way more forgiving,I dont need a swaybar on them,and I can throw the car around a lot more,and when they let go,its a controllable slide,rather than a snappy spin like the Pits.

The R1's also slide in the warm up laps when they are cold,so I rip a few donuts in both directions to warm them up,works a charm.At the end of the run they have more grip than what they started with,and are quite warm/hot to touch.The Pits just stay like ice.

For me,currently,the R1's are easily the better tyre,teamed with Medium front Pits.

Im still slower than my mate who is running Pits all round,and he normally wins,but thats my driving to blame,not so much my tyre choice.

I intend on doing a back to back test session with both tyres,and the S1 Ride rears again soon,just to see if there is a big difference.
In our Tea break/test session,back to back the R1's are better over the Pits,the same test,Sean likes the Pits.
I found on the old layout, that the R1 rear gave me more rear grip- over the S1
Old 02-25-2013, 01:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fleetmaster
I found on the old layout, that the R1 rear gave me more rear grip- over the S1
Thats exactly the opposite on what Seano thinks of the Ride's,he reckons the S1's have more grip.It backs up what I think,that the R1's dont work properly until they have had plenty of runtime on them,and they have gone all marbled/textured for want of a better term.

His R1's havent been bedded in properly yet,this week at Castle Hill I am going to give him my R1's to try,and I am going to try his S1's.
Am interested to see the outcome.

Been racing Casso lately,there is a broader depth of talent there for him and Dave to race against.Me,I have just missed the A lately,bad qualifying doesnt help,and have won 1 B,then 2nd in the B last week,with times that put me in the middle of the A final.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by B00t13g
What is everyone running for f104 v2 ride height on carpet? I've seen everything from 3.5-6mm.
I have 4.5 front to rear. With I think 1.5-2 mm of droop. I think that's what Robert got me settled on.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Peli

Yeah it is interesting, but I could pretty much guarantee that you'd not get 4 or 5 months out of a set of R1's at my last track - Low grip, but the surface just ripped them apart, especially on the rear.

That's one of the reasons I hope that as the popularity of F1 grows we don't fall into the same traps that 1/10 tourer has with things like control tyres.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Initiate

A little rant...
I have built a 3Racing Sakura FGX, Tamiya F104 V2 and HPI Formula Ten this past two weeks and I`m left with a few questions.
1. Why havent manuals gotten better since the 80`s?
Poor drawings with incredibly tiny writing, Some kits not portioned out in sensible stages, especially the Tamiya kit. You pretty much have to open everthing at once!
It`s 2013 I expect colour pictures and even a step by step build video on the manufacturers web page. Just imagine if your PC, phone or microwave came with equally crappy user manuals. And as for Tamiya, what`s up with not supplying the body shell and wing with the kit?

2. Quality controll. All over the kits are pretty ok, but why do Tamiya use philips head screws? they strip so easily. Speaking of screws, the steel used in the Sakura FGX screws are sub standard in quality, I have stripped 3 screws and i have used propper RC tools, it`s just soft metal. (their Ti screws on the other hand is great) And why is crucial pieces in plastic? Like the shock rods on the Sakura and the eyelets/screw on the Tamiya/Hpi shocks?
The HPI Formula Ten and Sakura FXG are cheap cars, and i understand i can`t expect too much, but i happily pay $5 more to get rid of the shitty parts. ( i have now fitted all the hop up parts to the F10 and FGX and replaced all screws with Titanium screws, and the hop up parts are of great quality)
Not sure if this is the place for this post, but my only experiance is with F1 cars...
Lastly i would really like to see all manufacturers switch to Torx screws!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just finished a build. Probably not going to race this body due to others using this livery so in the process of painting another livery.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.