Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There are a few things I don't like about our rules here and I'll keep my true feelings of certain aspects of them to myself. If I decide to race after all then my opinion of them is irrelevant anyways so long as I just follow them. The paint rule is really the make or break rule to me. It's what keeps me on the fence even though I already have a car to run. The paint rule is well intentioned but that doesn't mean it isn't completely stupid to strictly enforce. It should be encouraged but not required. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
I like that nice twist on a classic scheme.
Thanks, there's an F1R underneath it
Old 02-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RonF
Wow, I need to ask the same thing. I need 2 sets of mirrors from the McClaren or F60 or F104 body if anyone has any for sale. Or can point me to a parts tree somewhere? BPshadow? I need the mirrors, the oring and if you can the small body clip.
I think I may have a parts tree, maybe 2 that I can sell, will have to check
Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

So I have been off of the threads for the last couple of weeks because business is booming and there are not enough hours in the day.
My feeling about the paintschemes is it should look like a a real racecar, either one that exists or has existed, or one that is believable that could exist.
I am so tired of the tribal flames and over airbrushed "buggy" paintjobs. My feeling is that there are plenty of classes to paint your body in that style, let F1 be more true to life. I think it would be really cool to see more vintage F1 liveries on the new bodies. IMO the rule should be more than one color and should have a realistic sponsor on the car.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
My feeling about the paintschemes is it should look like a a real racecar, either one that exists or has existed, or one that is believable that could exist.
...I think it would be really cool to see more vintage F1 liveries on the new bodies. IMO the rule should be more than one color and should have a realistic sponsor on the car.
Yeah, but don't you sell that?

Couple of these wouldn't fly in our rules:
- it has to mirror a real F1 car - no "believable," or "could have existed"
- no vintage liveries on new bodies; the livery has to match the shape of the body

I'm no funky paint guy but would love to do some "believable," or "could have existed."

Edit - So will you be offering more vintage decals?

Last edited by Quinn; 02-20-2012 at 03:42 AM. Reason: see above
Old 02-20-2012, 04:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Quinn

- no vintage liveries on new bodies; the livery has to match the shape of the body

I'm no funky paint guy but would love to do some "believable," or "could have existed."

My primary business is doing as accurate a replica as possible or offering the means to do it.
I have quite a few vintage decal sheets that are just about ready to print, I know that I have been saying this for a while. The body painting and chassis builds have been limiting my time at the computer. My goal is to have as many 2012 liveries ready to ship when the first real F1 race happens. I also want to get the vintage stuff that is almost done on the market. I am taking the printing activity in house which will allow me to get more stuff out faster, as well as do requests for custom sheets.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stregone
I personally couldn't care less about real F1. I paint all my bodies with my usual 1 or 2 color scheme and add whatever stickers i have. I would definitely not race F1 if I had to have a real paint scheme on it. I don't have the patience with painting to do it, and screw paying someone for a required paint job.
wow

you should at least attemp to make it look like it COULD have run in F1 - its F1, not TC and 'easter eggs' (as everyone lovingly refers to them) have no business...

saying that, I got a red ferrari - and the last race, we had 3 on the track - luckily, we had 'different' years so there was a little way of telling the difference
Old 02-20-2012, 05:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

kinda sounds like there are enough of you guys on this thread along that would warrent a talk with the track owner/class promoter to see if he/she'd be more flexible on the rules...

as long as you're not going to throw a car on the track with RC sponsors all over it - then you'd probably have decent grounds to see if he'd change the paint rules. I like the rules - but there should be allowances made that would let you do a vintage scheme on a newer body...I got Leyton House decals that I'm deciding if I'm going to use on the new Mclaren body i have, or should I do that in Team Lotus (not lotus/renault) colors
Old 02-20-2012, 05:17 AM
Tech Master

Well that really has to be unworkable as a rule, if everyone is running f104 then you will end up with a track full of either silver or red cars, and how do they deal with the generic F104Pro and HPI F10 body.

Pretty ridiculous of a club to turn away new drivers though purely because of the paint scheme on their body, although I'm sure if you get into it your next shell can be painted to fit their rules. Reminds me of touring car clubs turning away new kids with the silver can motor in the RTR cars because it's not 'race legal' even though it's slower than anything else.

I can see the point in the rule even if I don't agree with it, after all they don't want the F1 class to end up like touring cars. In the early days of tourers we would all buy the sticker sets to make nice replicas of the full size cars we loved, now the paintwork has no connection to full size cars even down to total disregard of window and light shapes.

By making sure they are limited to actual F1 paint schemes you don't have the situation where someone turns up with a modern 'tribal vomit' paint scheme covered in rc sponsor stickers while claiming it could have existed while the rest of us know it certainly couldn't. While most people would like the freedom to do what they want and will create something semi realistic with proper full size sponsor logos and a realistic simple paint scheme, if there isn't a well defined rule to keep the ridiculous paint jobs out then someone will try it on, can you imagine the hassle if someone turns up with a wacky rc paint scheme they claim could be realistic and is then turned away purely by a vote from other drivers who know it's not.

Surely the rule could be that it must be based on a full size race car (of any kind) with realistic sponsors, with pictures of the full size car needed to prove
it if necessary. Allows those who just want to give it one colour with a few stickers or even no stickers, while keeping out bodies covered in drivers sponsors stickers.
In a similar way, quite a few modern 1/12th scale bodies that are legal in the USA aren't legal in Europe. Certainly the BRCA will only allow bodies that are submitted with photos of the full size car and it has to look like the car in the photos to be allowed.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

My personal view is that keeping to genuine F1 colours would be bad for the class, but also I think that the latest craze of fuzzy lines is pathetic.
As someone posted earlier, "genuine race colours, but not restricted to F1" is the best option, and if you are brave enough to use a colour scheme from the Aussie "V8 Supercar" series then go for it, but yes you should provide a picture of the original design.
As for vintage colours, well I could take up the option of running a '50's colour scheme of plain red (ferrari) or plain silver (Auto Union or Mercedes), or could go a little later when cars ran in colours for the country of the driver

Would be nice to see someone attempt the "Silk Cut" colours from the Jaguar XJR9
Old 02-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NiMo
My personal view is that keeping to genuine F1 colours would be bad for the class, but also I think that the latest craze of fuzzy lines is pathetic.
As someone posted earlier, "genuine race colours, but not restricted to F1" is the best option, and if you are brave enough to use a colour scheme from the Aussie "V8 Supercar" series then go for it, but yes you should provide a picture of the original design.
As for vintage colours, well I could take up the option of running a '50's colour scheme of plain red (ferrari) or plain silver (Auto Union or Mercedes), or could go a little later when cars ran in colours for the country of the driver

Would be nice to see someone attempt the "Silk Cut" colours from the Jaguar XJR9
The only rule we have in our F1 Club Races is that your body must be painted. That's it! As long as you have an F1 R/C and want to have some fun, you're free to join us.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

This is not true. I hate the paint rule as much as you do. However, the current version says any current or former f1 paint scheme can be used on any body.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mailboxck
The only rule we have in our F1 Club Races is that your body must be painted. That's it! As long as you have an F1 R/C and want to have some fun, you're free to join us.
This is how it should be!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quinn, who is your race promoter? Are they on RC Tech. The majority of us would like to have a word with him/them. As someone who really loves this class, I'm sorry for you. My feelings on paint are keep it simple. I'm in the process of finishing out my Mercedes look-a-like with BP's stickers, but because I want to. It is more important to have the correct wheels and tires and the right width to match your track rules.(That is another can of worms.) I like to make mine look like real F1 cars, but that is because I'm a modeler at heart. I still do not have what I would call a concourse body as I race them. Our track rules on bodies were always simple: Painted body, with a head. As far as other stickers, I've used the Decal Island sets and they hold up well.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NiMo
That is a great idea! Tasteful too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.