Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Like Tree2514Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Old 08-23-2022, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

So I ran the foam tires this past weekend approximately 147 laps. These are the contact F1 foam tires. As you can see they have less than a tenth of millimeter of wear on the front however the rear did lose 1.2 mm. they still retained their rounded profile and they worked incredible ...most of the guys who watched the car run we're saying WTF why don't we just run these.... Yes they are that good....
astgerma52sp likes this.

Last edited by fat500; 08-23-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Now I also ran the team powers medium, medium combo and they worked quite well also. We sprayed the track with soda and then one of the racers suggested we put a light mist of vht on the whole layout which he did. That makes the team powers tires very drivable. I really like the way the car drives on the foam, it drives exactly like a 12th scale car but it's F1 which is really cool. That being said I finished the day on the team powers ...what we realized is that when you're spraying with just soda our team Powers tires are not usable but when you spray with vht the tires are actually really good... they are very dependent on track prep and temperature. I really like the foam but I prefer rubber. I think we're going to run the foam on practice days because nobody wants to pay for the vht so we use soda but on race days we will be using vht so we will be using rubber or whatever the drivers prefer. Now the interesting part is I was able to run virtually identical lap times with the foam and the rubber. I have some of the new exottek tires coming this week and I'm very excited to get them on the track. I'm hoping these will fill the void between the team powers and the foam which would be a good compromise so we'll see how that goes. At the end of the day ,like I said I prefer rubber . Driving the foam car I could put it exactly where I wanted it... I could push it anywhere in the corner and it was just really really fun to drive. When I switch to rubber I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised how well the vht was working. I could not push the car as hard I could control the car but I had to concentrate more but I was on the driver stand saying to myself wow this is actually not bad what a difference track prep can make. I finished the day out on rubber seeing how far I could push the tires and on vht they felt very similar to the gravities of old, they were consistent. I was walking off the driver stand saying huh if we ran vht all the time we could just use these no problem. So there you have it. I'll be posting other update after I test out the new kicks this weekend. I'm honestly hoping these will be the tire to use. I like the new style rims and the tire profile and the availability should be pretty good . Until then good luck racing.....🏁🏁🏁
mutley001, JCarr and astgerma52sp like this.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

I have been running two cars

​​​​​​The icon 2 and the EVO 3. I have been testing several tires using both chassis to see what kind of difference they will have. What I have found and another driver confirmed is both cars run equally well and I can post lap times within 1/10 of a second between the two chassis using the same tires.
mutley001, hanulec and gwhiz like this.
Old 08-23-2022, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For your soda formula try adding Karo syrup one dark and one light to your mixture.I mix mine with 4-6 cheap Walmart high sugar sodas and spray.
fat500 likes this.
Old 08-23-2022, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
For your soda formula try adding Karo syrup one dark and one light to your mixture.I mix mine with 4-6 cheap Walmart high sugar sodas and spray.
Thanks for all the tire testing posts and your spray recipes. Here in NorCal, a lot of us have gone to snow cone syrup and water. Used to use VHT, but found the track changed significantly during the day - not to mention the high price. We lay down a medium coat 1st thing in the AM, and typically do a light respray about 30 minutes after practice starts.

Re: TP F1 tires - Nice to hear you are getting the med fronts to work. We started with the mediums, but found they built up a lot of grip as the day went on, often over powering the rears. Most went to the hard fronts, which stayed the same all day long, and work well in the heat. We did have to change the tune up a bit to get back steering. Now that our series is about over, I need to try the medium fronts again - I have several sets . Most are using medium rears, with the occasional soft.

I have a few good sets of Hudy / Gravity left, it will be interesting to put them back on after racing most of the year on TP.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fat500 View Post

So I ran the foam tires this past weekend approximately 147 laps. These are the contact F1 foam tires. As you can see they have less than a tenth of millimeter of wear on the front however the rear did lose 1.2 mm. they still retained their rounded profile and they worked incredible ...most of the guys who watched the car run we're saying WTF why don't we just run these.... Yes they are that good....
Thanks for the feedback, which shore combo did you test?
fat500 likes this.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fat500 View Post
... As you can see they have less than a tenth of millimeter of wear on the front however the rear did lose 1.2 mm. they still retained their rounded profile and they worked incredible ...
may need change between left and right for each or two battery, for both, front and rear
Old 08-24-2022, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

I was using 45 shore in the front and 30 in the rear. Yes I am rotating the tires between the runs same as I do on 12th scale. I honestly can't believe how well these tires work no traction rolling at all. Just smooth constant grip. We had tried the matrix tires but they were causing traction roll I think it's because of the profile of the tire the contact have a nice rounded profile The matrix have a squared profile.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

I'm really looking forward to trying the exotek rubber and comparing to the t powers.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Exotek F1 tires and wheels are here ....first impressions are they're very nicely made. I really didn't want to glue but they mount up just like 1/8 scale off-road wheels with a groove a few millimeters from the edge of the rim so the tire sits really nice on the rim. They have a nice soft foam insert and the design of the wheels is really nice very rigid. I can't wait to get these on the track.

Vent holes are already pre-drilled in the rims. I like the 2022 rim styling.
astgerma52sp likes this.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:42 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I heard front diameter is near identical to Pit Shimizu tires and the rear is only slightly smaller in diameter. Is that true? Anyone confirm diameter measurements?
Old 08-24-2022, 03:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The fact that the powers worked better with VHT/soda and not as well with soda only clears things up a bit. Med/med was not the best on our track sprayed with grape soda pop.

That being said, the Exotek tire looks like a winner just based on design. Like the Pit and Hudy tires, there is a higher profile sidewall. These cars work based on sidewall flex. In fact, if you could decipher the old pit shimizu tire charts, beyond the actual rubber, softness was also based on the thickness of the rubber. 572 and 575 were the same compound, but 575 was thinner rubber, and more sidewall flex.
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Robk I would add the Karo syrup to your grape soda and try again.It works down here. They also use pancake syrup but the karo is better (to me).
Old 08-25-2022, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Has anybody had any luck testing the world's tires for later this year made by HotRace? If so - how'd they perform? Any other tires tested in comparison?
Old 08-26-2022, 06:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Has anyone tried to fit a Fenix F1-70 vintage body on a modern F1 car yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.