Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Old 02-24-2022, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmetcalf
I am new to the F1 car and was wondering what is a good all around carpet tire? I will be running a class with these rules: roar 21.5, 2s batt, blinky esc, rubber F1 tire and min weight 1050 g. I just picked up a used 2017 x1. I know its older and will need thing but I am testing this class out. The track I will be running on was able to open this year (its a rented location). I have found some great info on the xray thread for starting setups which will help. I am also sure the guys runnning this class will be of great help once I get out to the track. I was thinking of starting with the HW justock 21.5 ftm setup. Will I be dissapointed? I have the HW 1s stock spec in my crc ck25 and it seems to be a good esc. (just started 1/12 this year). Will I be completely dissapointed with a FTM motor? Please give me your thoughts? Also is the new crc f1 car any good? seems like most gravitate to serpent, xray and schumacher. I know there are other great brands but I want to be able to get parts if I break. Thanks
As far as tires go, the CRC are pretty much king on carpet. I've tried the sweeps and they were ok, but the CRC are just flat out faster.
MUDVAYNE likes this.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

Based on what I saw on Hobbywing's site this motor runs at about the same RPM as my 25.5 motors (2050 rpm). So by top speed you may be down a little but may gain control on the areas where handling is stressed. Also know that using the X1 '17 you may have trouble finding some replacement parts but know that alot of the 18-20 parts fit the car. I still run my 17 but it has an 18 chassis. I had to buy the side link hangars and spacers and needed to get the 19 front bridge to use the newer front lower arms without filing off the extra material.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone running a CRC WTF 1DS have a medium grip setup sheet around? Looking for a good starting point for an asphalt setup.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Unless you're running the serpent or the exotek... all of the setups are pretty much the same they all have the same basic front and design and the same single pivot rear end design so all the setups can be shared across the board ....that is what I have found in my experience with all the different chassis as for asphalt it's really depending on what tires you're running.... if you're running the CRC tires which are 57157 to Outdoors it will be a lot different from if you are running hudy/ gravity tires so tell us what tires you got and we'll get you pointed in the right direction
Big Willy likes this.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The CRC is an newer version of the old Tamiya F103 frontend. Most everyone else uses the other Tamiya version F104 (I believe).
Big Willy likes this.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

I bought Volantes (White and Pink rear, and Yellow and Green fronts), and a set of CRCs so I had options. Seems like the CRCs are softer than or close to the whites in the rear all around. Id like to start with a harder tire, so Volante Pinks and Greens are what Im planning to run out of the gate.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Basically going to be trial and error for you with the tires I would put a base set up on the car and try each set of volante. For the CRC you may have to make some setup changes. You may also have to make setup changes to get the car to do what you want after you settle on your tire of choice. Try all the tires out without making any setup changes see what seems to work best set them aside I have seen people run CRC in the front and volante in the rear so you have to figure out if you want to balance looks with performance or go more towards performance and not so much of looks. After you settle on your tires then start making one change at a time to the car to get it to do what you want focusing on one end of the car at a time the end that needs the most attention
Big Willy likes this.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Your best source of information is going to be the other racers at your track most of the time they have done all their homework and they can tell you what setup direction to go in and what tires work
dawgmeat and astgerma52sp like this.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What is the best way to adjust front ride height? May need to switch tire brands for a series race, and new tires are smaller diameter.
Do you change shims at the kingpin? Or shims at the suspension arm mount?
Car is a Roche Evo V2, and it seems even if I remove all the shims from the suspension arms, ride height is till too low.

Old 03-13-2022, 06:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by belewis01
What is the best way to adjust front ride height? May need to switch tire brands for a series race, and new tires are smaller diameter.
Do you change shims at the kingpin? Or shims at the suspension arm mount?
Car is a Roche Evo V2, and it seems even if I remove all the shims from the suspension arms, ride height is till too low.
I would try changing some of the shims on the kingpin first. If you start changing the shims that are under the top arm mounts you start to mess with the roll center. If you're ride height is low then I believe you will want to take a shim from under the steering knuckle and put it on top. This will drop the knuckle and and raise the front of the car. Measure the shim that you're moving on both sides to make sure you're making an even adjustment.

Also, I 3D print ride height adjusters for the front of this car since I also own one. All you have to do is loosen the screws from the chassis and slide these in between the bulkheads and the chassis and tighten the screws again. Shoot me a pm if you're interested and I can print you a set.

Last edited by MUDVAYNE; 03-13-2022 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
I would try changing some of the shims on the kingpin first. If you start changing the shims that are under the top arm mounts you start to mess with the roll center. If you're ride height is low then I believe you will want to take a shim from under the steering knuckle and put it on top. This will drop the knuckle and and raise the front of the car. Measure the shim that you're moving on both sides to make sure you're making an even adjustment.

Also, I 3D print ride height adjusters for the front of this car since I also own one. All you have to do is loosen the screws from the chassis and slide these in between the bulkheads and the chassis and tighten the screws again. Shoot me a pm if you're interested and I can print you a set.
Thanks for the response - I got similar feedback from an old 1/12th scale guy yesterday. I'll try it out soon as we are going to a spec tire for a local F1 series.
And thanks for the 3D printed shim offer, that sounds really clever - I also have a printer, so I'm going to look into that.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Crc F1 Outdoors

Has anyone spent time with the CRC Latest F1 car outdoors on asphalt? It looks to be great chassis on carpet but wondering about its performance outdoors.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2022, 09:05 PM
Tech Adept

Has anyone been using the Sweep F21 tyres on low grip asphalt? Opinions?
Old 03-23-2022, 02:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Monsta
Has anyone been using the Sweep F21 tyres on low grip asphalt? Opinions?
Yes, the go to combo for that would be Soft Rears and Medium Fronts. I would avoid the soft fronts as they wear very fast and can cause oversteer. Note, these tires are temperature sensitive and youll want to break in the rears with 2 slow runs of 5min
Old 03-23-2022, 04:51 AM
Tech Regular

I found the sweep soft fronts to have less steering than Shimizu medium tires, also they are only 27mm wide and look too skinny

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.