R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-25-2003, 06:01 PM   #46
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by YOKOMOSHO
Chill out JohnA. I personally know MRIMPACT, race with him (he did begin racing electric 2 weeks ago), and he and I have bagged each other quite a bit on various forums (good natured too). I think he can take the joke.
Keith M.
Yep only been racing electric 2 weeks BUT been racing Gas for the past 5 years and I buy most of my equipment OS because it is much cheaper....
Keith and I do have a joke with each other quite a bit but don't tell him I TQ'd on my 2nd drive ever with my electric and I think he was surprised
I told You Keith you should of bought and XRAY

Cheers
Rob
Airtronics M11X.
MRIMPACT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 09:45 AM   #47
Tech Elite

Square wire, flat wire, 4 magnets were all consideration in the design but in the end it was detemrined that none of these gimmicks improve performance, and in some cases they reduce performance (4 magnets).

The motor will be packaged in a nice box rather than a clamshell, and it will come with 2-3 extra setsof brushes to alleviate in early concerns about being able to locate replacements so soon after the product is launched.

the motors are being produced now and will begin shipping before the end of next week.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 10:04 AM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That's great to know Rick... that the motors will have extra brushes in them... can't wait to get a couple...

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 12:40 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Hohwart
Square wire, flat wire, 4 magnets were all consideration in the design but in the end it was detemrined that none of these gimmicks improve performance, and in some cases they reduce performance (4 magnets).

The motor will be packaged in a nice box rather than a clamshell, and it will come with 2-3 extra setsof brushes to alleviate in early concerns about being able to locate replacements so soon after the product is launched.

the motors are being produced now and will begin shipping before the end of next week.
In what way do 'these gimmicks' reduce performance? I'd be interested to know in more detail as to why. I've not tried the flat-wire arms yet, but I've been quite impressed with the Reedy KR in off-road (on grass). The V2 looks to be a highly innovative motor - I'd certainly like to try one. Any info you have would be much appreciated.
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 01:12 PM   #50
Tech Elite

I believe the 4 magnet design is less efficient and is evident in team driver's remarks towards them
Old 09-26-2003, 06:29 PM   #51
Tech Elite

And what about flatwire arms etc any views on these?
Horatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 07:01 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Flat wire does not show any improvement over square or round.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:34 PM   #53
Tech Adept

I'm quite impressed with the Reedy KR. In a touring car, the KR is a rocket. The KR has lots of grunt coming off corners and lots of speed going down the straight. The quad magnet stuff seems be be the real deal. Before knocking the quad magnet tech, please list the races the Orion mod motor has been able to beat the Reedy KR mod motor. I assume that Orion's team drivers have been running the new motor at a lot of recent big races, so there should have been at least a few chances to show off the power. Blackstock was untouchable at the ROAR onroad carpet nats this year with his Reedy KR motor.

The KR has no effeciency problems. With GP3300 cells, I can race on my TC (Xray Evo2) on a tight, high bite carpet track with no signs of fading. At the 7-8 minute mark, the performance starts to fall off, and that is well beyond the end of the race. In mod TC, a 10 turn KR definitely makes runtime with ease. I am not aware of any road race where a Reedy team driver dumped due to some effeciency problem. In fact, the only motor I own that gives my TC more runtime than the Reedy KR is a Novak brushless.
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 08:03 PM   #54
Tech Regular

What improvement do the round brushes offer over rectangular brushes in the V-orientation?
RC Paperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 08:46 PM   #55
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

It is rather useless to compare motors being operated by different drivers. I am sure there are plenty of instances where Kr motors beat Orion motors, and vice versa as well.

If you want to compare motors on the track, you'd need to use the same driver, same car, same setup, same gearing/wind and so on. And even that would be far from scientific.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:54 PM   #56

Quick question: what's the difference between the Reedy Kr and the Reedy PT. Apparently the Pt has a 7.5mm comm, while the Kr has a 9mm comm, but there must be more to it than that.

Is one designed for off-road and the other for on-road?
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 12:06 AM   #57
R/C Tech Founder

I have been told that the Pt is more useful in high-rev situations like oval racing. Not sure how accurate that is, though.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:58 AM   #58
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Remember the Reedy Fury? The PT would seem to be a quad mag Fury.

I.E small comm, Stand up brushes, Thin (4mm) RPM arm.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 10:32 AM   #59

So the Krypton is still the way to go then.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 07:43 PM   #60
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I would think so, if you were running them in a sedan. I have heard of guys having success with them in 1/12th scale too.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote