Xray copies

Old 10-20-2008, 01:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I install air-conditioners for a living and some of the Chinese domestic AC units look like some well known brands but the thing that makes me laugh is they are so bad that they only just can be called an air-con. Rattle like all the srews are loose, make the lights dim when they turn on and die after about two years and of course have no spares! That xray knockoff looks like an xray but I bet it wont work at all and your $200 goes to the tip, just like a cheap AC.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Those pics of that copy piece of crap make me want to vomit, it looks like the top deck was made from cardboard and covered in carbon fibre sticker.
And it comes with drift tires??? Maybe coz the piece of crap wont go straight so you might aswell go sideways.

Good luck if you think this car is a good cheap kit.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
You have got to wonder though if a plastix xray goes better than the alloy one. I wouldn't be surprised if it did!
Being a Scythe driver you would think that
Old 10-20-2008, 02:40 AM
Tech Addict

It just just too easy to make a copy cat from any manufacture. It just a matter of what quality they want up to be.

Long time a ago, I think the Taiwan STS has made a copy cat of Serpent 835. Everybody in our track agree it is a good quality car. I have hold it on my hand and I am no doubt STS made a better car least on the price. Now someone comes out a Xray similar design car. I hope this will bring down the price of Xray car. Especially their price of part which is super unreality price claimed last few times longer durability. Sounds crap to me. The truth I believe should be 20% more durability but 200-300% higher price parts.

Anyway, if Chinese make more similar design rc cars out of our existing car. It will only be good for everybody especially people who can't afford expensive rc car. China is really now the king of production of everything. Let's design more products referring to LRP ESC, 416, 8IGHT, Futaba......
Old 10-20-2008, 03:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you cant afford to buy a new Xray then buy something else!!!
As for durability, my 1st Xray was a T2 and that was in 2006, i bought some spares at the time just incase i broke something. Ive since had a 007 and now have a 5cell and 6cell 008 and still have 98% of the parts i bought then. I dont even bother bringing my spares anymore because of how strong the parts are.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

My view on the situation:

Xray have invested time and money designing a car. From Juraj's blog, its clear that literally thousands of hours go into the research and development of every part of an Xray chassis. It costs so much to buy, BECAUSE it costs so much to develop.

This copy is cheap, BECAUSE someone came along with a tape measure and a set of verniers, and copied every dimension of every part, then went off to get it manufactured from cheaper materials.

Is it right that someone else can rip Xray off and and profit financially from their hard work and investment?

It just the same with pirated movies and fake fashion items.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

the sucky thing is how long will it be before we start seeing them turn up in the for sale/trade forum here???the first person that pays good money thinking that they are getting an actual xray car is going to be pissed!
Old 10-20-2008, 04:48 AM
Tech Champion

For decades the Western automotive industry has failed to sue or even stop copies of various automobiles, so a model car company has no chance. Xray copied Corally for the T1 anyway lol

http://www.hemmy.net/2007/05/18/auto...nese-copycats/

http://www.hemmy.net/2007/04/29/chinese-fake-brands/

Last edited by black-knight; 10-20-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

There are a lot of rc companies that have their parts made in China like AE via Thunder Tiger China. AE puts out some nice products at lower prices. It's all about quality control.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

if you look close nothing is milled on the chassis like under the motor, and if your a owner of an actual xray 008 like me you would know the brushless motor will not fit
Old 10-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Tech Addict

This has turned into a very interesting thread, and the points made are all very valid. There is one point which has been missed however. No-one has mentioned that the Ebay ad mentions OEM.

The Wikipedia definition of OEM is :-

"An original equipment manufacturer, or OEM is typically a company that uses a component made by a second company in its own product, or sells the product of the second company under its own brand."

This ad therefore suggests that this copycat car is either made by the same factory who make the Xray car or is made using Xray parts. If this is not the case, then the ad is misleading.

Also, if it is a Canadian who is selling this car, what is his connection ?

Just my 2 bobs worth.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

I doubt if that car has the same quality of plastic composites and same quality of carbon as X-Ray. If you buy one you'd probably end up changing all the parts so you'd end up with a real XRay T2 ('007?) anyway Among the RC heli crowds, there's this Chinese brand called Walkera... some of their products are just copies of other brand's helis, but at half the quality. The guys that bought their helis end up buying the parts from the actual manufacturer just to get the heli to fly right I think this might be the same case...
Old 10-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

It sucks that someones hard work can't be protected... The copy cat could at least put a half assed effort to change a few things.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It really sucks to see this happen but it doesnt surprise me. When companies try to increase profits by sending manufacturing to china, they always risk the chance of something like this happening. With the prices of todays TC's, all of them can be produced for a decent profit when made in house. When parts get outsourced to china and the prices to the consumer do not reflect that, Profits are increased drasticly. This is nice but you will always be at risk for this.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Addict

I asked the seller the question, and this is his reply :-

"Yes, OEM means that it was made from the same factory, but with minor differences so it can't be call an XRay kit. This car is 99.99% the same as the xray T2'008 and you get tires with it."

Interesting !?!? Do Xray know about it ?? So he's really claiming that it's of the same quality as the T2'008.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.