R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #106
Tech Champion
 
oXYnary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,301
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
Look at RPM, they make after market plastic parts for many r/c cars and no one is looking bad at them.
Totally different animal. RPM redoes the plastic idea of the part, and is considered a hop-up company. It does not make straight molds of the original and reproduce copies. It makes its own designs from scratch, and many times finds ways to improve the durability of the parts over the original manufacturers (at the cost of being a bit more-but well worth it).
__________________
www.3drcracing.com <<RC Video Game.
Kyosho Mini-Z Buggy, Moto Racer | Losi Micro SCT, 8ight Mini
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #107
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 649
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHIH View Post
Xray certainly copied the LCD design. It was a great idea 3 years ago, and it is surprising that it took this long for another manufacturer to release a similar design. Knowing Xray, they probably made them much better.
That being said, XRAY is not making counterfeit copies of the LCD like the car in this topic.
Actually, it was a great idea in about the mid to late 40's when they started using it in the auto industry. Yup, it's just a double cardan joint and they're still used today in heavy duty stuff. Not a true CV joint but close.

Copying an idea is one thing. Copying a design to the point that the parts are interchangeable is a totally different animal and totally wrong.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #108
Tech Elite
 
rezenclowd3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Solvang, CA
Posts: 2,367
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3
Default

I haven't seen a true CV joint in RC yet
__________________
OOMSGFX.COM (no longer painting, but take a look for fun!), Roadrunners RC Club
"Racing drivers have balls, unfortunately, none of them are crystal" (David Coulthard)
"I believe the average IQ of a NASCAR fan is only marginally above the things that hit the windscreen during the race. "
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:18 PM   #109
Tech Elite
 
a_main_attendee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Posts: 2,880
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I am going to buy one, and a Yeah racing lipo with a generic BL system and one of those cheap "lcd screen programmable FM radios".


I'll call it-

"the time bomb"

__________________
Support your local tracks!--|--e-teamhobbyplex.com--|--corrc.org--|

NNFaN Paints - Add some pride to YOUR ride.
a_main_attendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #110
Company Representative
 
SweepRacingUSA's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: www.SweepRacingUSA.com
Posts: 1,742
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_main_attendee View Post
I am going to buy one, and a Yeah racing lipo with a generic BL system and one of those cheap "lcd screen programmable FM radios".


I'll call it-

"the time bomb"

that would be very funny if that "time bomb" finish races with same lap times as good as other "real RC cars"
SweepRacingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #111
Tech Master
 
Verndog's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PPDBillet.com USA
Posts: 1,845
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
in Chinese forum no people know that !!
Maybe they haven't copied that page of their "forum" from another site yet.
__________________
--->Dial-a-Grip for TC6
Kevin -- PPDBillet---TC6---Exoray 008
---Team Hoarders---
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #112
Tech Fanatic
 
trailranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
Maybe they haven't copied that page of their "forum" from another site yet.
I will translate verndog's post so they can get right on it.

可能他们未复制那页入另一个论坛
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:48 AM   #113
Tech Addict
 
Hoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 611
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_main_attendee View Post
I am going to buy one, and a Yeah racing lipo with a generic BL system and one of those cheap "lcd screen programmable FM radios".


I'll call it-

"the time bomb"


hey, if you do get one let us know how it goes.
Hoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #114
Tech Adept
 
Gain Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Down on the corner out in the street
Posts: 249
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs down

This has got to be better advertisement than they could have possibly hoped for.
__________________
DON'T TAZE' ME BRO!!!!!!
Gain Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #115
Tech Master
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Default

As much as I am annoyed by the rip off I have to say that most if not ALL of us would be standing with applause if Xray had released this car as a T2 008R. I was looking closely at the pics of the car and I was thinking if this was a genuine Xray I'd have one ordered already. It would make a great VTA car and I could share the spare parts.

It's like being attracted to the woman in your office because she looks like your wife...just a cheaper (add your own adjective here____) version...you know it's wrong but it makes ya think
__________________
☆ The Track @ Harbor Hobbies ☆ www.harbor-hobby.net ☆
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #116
Tech Elite
 
a_main_attendee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Posts: 2,880
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I have a little "experiement" for you guys to conduct if you guys want to.

Go to the local supermarket, Buy some Lucky Charms, cheerio's, etc,

Then buy some purina dog chow (or your favorite flavor, whatever...).

Finally, buy the generic "equivilent" of that cereal you chose beforehand.

Open the generic cereal, and open the dogfood,

The smell of the low quality grains, etc, are EXTREMELY simular between the two items, and if you are not convinced that the two (the generic and the name brand cereal) are very different, simply do a side by side taste test.

Now, i'd assume the same applies to cars,

Think about it, would you rather buy a huge bag of dog fo- i mean cereal, or, would you rather spend the bit extra for something that preforms.

This analogy may not be the exact case, but it is simular. I wouldn't mind buying one, only to beat the crap outta it, but at the price and from the materials it is made of, don't expect it to be a fraction of the xray quality wise, regardless of price.
__________________
Support your local tracks!--|--e-teamhobbyplex.com--|--corrc.org--|

NNFaN Paints - Add some pride to YOUR ride.
a_main_attendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:38 AM   #117
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 286
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
funny stuff right there, it ain't cause of "them" our economy is in the crapper
True, the reason the economy is in the crapper is too many people diving too deep into the cookie jar without thinking about anyone else. On the one hand side we want more more more and on the other we wants to pay less less less. If you win that battle it means one or more people have lost and the system, eventually, falls down.

These kinds of reverse engineering activities are no different. The net result will eventually be that companies such as XRay will not be able to survive. Their R&D and focus on quality quite simply cost money. If others then simply copy that and put it on the market much cheaper (quite easy, the R&D cost alone is staggering) then the problems begin. While I agree it is not really ethical to buy such "copy's" (or download illegal DVD copies, music, etc.), in today's world this has become so commonplace that "if you can't beat them join them" and "don't be a thief of your own pocket" play in many consumers minds.

While you can have an ethical debate about the consumers responsibilities and find fault, personally I cannot blame consumers for doing exactly what the "big boys" are doing millions of times over: benefit.
__________________
Tony Vredenberg
tonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:44 AM   #118
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 286
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kail View Post
Think about it guys, racers out there all know the "XRAY" Quality.

Its precisely this quality that gives rise to the intrinsic value of the car.

It is quite certain that this knock off will not reach XRay's parts standard.
Hence, it will not appeal to those racers even if it is at a ridiculous price.

Plus, the pricing of these knockoffs are not exactly cheap. One would be able to buy a decent car, maybe a TC5 or something where they know that quality is at least upheld.

Hence, I do not believe that this will injure XRAY's market share much as their target segment has always been set at the premium market level.

So, I think that seller is not making much sense unless he can lower his producing cost dramatically and sell these cars at $50 each or smt.

Even then, it will not hurt the XRAY's market share much unless people buy these knockoffs as spares.

What do you think guys?
Maybe. But this is not just about XRay's market share is it? If someone is looking for a budget racer they can now buy this right? But if this wasn't there they would have to buy a budget racer from a legitimate firm instead. However you cut it some company will sell less because of this copy.
__________________
Tony Vredenberg
tonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #119
Tech Master
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv View Post
True, the reason the economy is in the crapper is too many people diving too deep into the cookie jar without thinking about anyone else. On the one hand side we want more more more and on the other we wants to pay less less less. If you win that battle it means one or more people have lost and the system, eventually, falls down.

These kinds of reverse engineering activities are no different. The net result will eventually be that companies such as XRay will not be able to survive. Their R&D and focus on quality quite simply cost money. If others then simply copy that and put it on the market much cheaper (quite easy, the R&D cost alone is staggering) then the problems begin. While I agree it is not really ethical to buy such "copy's" (or download illegal DVD copies, music, etc.), in today's world this has become so commonplace that "if you can't beat them join them" and "don't be a thief of your own pocket" play in many consumers minds.

While you can have an ethical debate about the consumers responsibilities and find fault, personally I cannot blame consumers for doing exactly what the "big boys" are doing millions of times over: benefit.
Yes the quality that they try to put into their products does drive up the cost. But you could also make the argument that quality is responsible for their success due to the performance of there cars.

One other high priced car, the Tamiya 416, is very high quality, as high as an Xray, and the price reflects that. But to kinda support your point, Tamiya has much cheaper kits for a consumer to buy. They can afford not to make as much money on the 416 because they sell tons of TA05's and the like...along with all of the hop ups. If you look at the real world, a company like GM can spend millions on R&D and racing to produce the Corvette ZR1, which is supposed to be around $100,000, because they sell lots of other types of vehicles. If all they made were Corvettes and Hummers it would be a tough for them to survive economic downturns. I'd really like to see a company like Xray focus on less expensive models. Because cheaper doesn't always mean less quality...maybe just use less expensive materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv View Post
Maybe. But this is not just about XRay's market share is it? If someone is looking for a budget racer they can now buy this right? But if this wasn't there they would have to buy a budget racer from a legitimate firm instead. However you cut it some company will sell less because of this copy.
And to add to your point, what's to stop companies like this from making clones of other cars...TC5...Hotbodies...etc. If they make money doing this they could just keep on going.
__________________
☆ The Track @ Harbor Hobbies ☆ www.harbor-hobby.net ☆
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #120
Tech Addict
 
Born2Run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 737
Default

What about this one?

http://www.toptoys.cn/cn/gallery.php?id=3112&img=4610
__________________
Whatever
Born2Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New XRAY 808 Philipm Nitro Off-Road 12372 12-08-2015 07:43 AM
xray 809? Gixxer2k4 Nitro Off-Road 52 02-12-2009 08:25 PM
MP9 vs 808 quality chumanji Nitro Off-Road 61 01-08-2009 10:44 PM
Motor Coolers micros_rock R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 26 06-23-2005 01:29 AM
New Xray Prototype Tom Electric On-Road 480 02-13-2005 12:26 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:55 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net