Wiki Posts
Search

Xray copies

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trailranger
Look at RPM, they make after market plastic parts for many r/c cars and no one is looking bad at them.
Totally different animal. RPM redoes the plastic idea of the part, and is considered a hop-up company. It does not make straight molds of the original and reproduce copies. It makes its own designs from scratch, and many times finds ways to improve the durability of the parts over the original manufacturers (at the cost of being a bit more-but well worth it).
Old 10-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JHIH
Xray certainly copied the LCD design. It was a great idea 3 years ago, and it is surprising that it took this long for another manufacturer to release a similar design. Knowing Xray, they probably made them much better.
That being said, XRAY is not making counterfeit copies of the LCD like the car in this topic.
Actually, it was a great idea in about the mid to late 40's when they started using it in the auto industry. Yup, it's just a double cardan joint and they're still used today in heavy duty stuff. Not a true CV joint but close.

Copying an idea is one thing. Copying a design to the point that the parts are interchangeable is a totally different animal and totally wrong.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I haven't seen a true CV joint in RC yet
Old 10-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am going to buy one, and a Yeah racing lipo with a generic BL system and one of those cheap "lcd screen programmable FM radios".

I'll call it-

"the time bomb"

Old 10-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by a_main_attendee
I am going to buy one, and a Yeah racing lipo with a generic BL system and one of those cheap "lcd screen programmable FM radios".

I'll call it-

"the time bomb"

that would be very funny if that "time bomb" finish races with same lap times as good as other "real RC cars"
Old 10-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
in Chinese forum no people know that !!
Maybe they haven't copied that page of their "forum" from another site yet.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Verndog
Maybe they haven't copied that page of their "forum" from another site yet.
I will translate verndog's post so they can get right on it.

可能他们未复制那页入另一个论坛
Old 10-23-2008, 02:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by a_main_attendee

I'll call it-

"the time bomb"

hey, if you do get one let us know how it goes.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs down

This has got to be better advertisement than they could have possibly hoped for.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

As much as I am annoyed by the rip off I have to say that most if not ALL of us would be standing with applause if Xray had released this car as a T2 008R. I was looking closely at the pics of the car and I was thinking if this was a genuine Xray I'd have one ordered already. It would make a great VTA car and I could share the spare parts.

It's like being attracted to the woman in your office because she looks like your wife...just a cheaper (add your own adjective here____) version...you know it's wrong but it makes ya think
Old 10-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a little "experiement" for you guys to conduct if you guys want to.

Go to the local supermarket, Buy some Lucky Charms, cheerio's, etc,

Then buy some purina dog chow (or your favorite flavor, whatever...).

Finally, buy the generic "equivilent" of that cereal you chose beforehand.

Open the generic cereal, and open the dogfood,

The smell of the low quality grains, etc, are EXTREMELY simular between the two items, and if you are not convinced that the two (the generic and the name brand cereal) are very different, simply do a side by side taste test.

Now, i'd assume the same applies to cars,

Think about it, would you rather buy a huge bag of dog fo- i mean cereal, or, would you rather spend the bit extra for something that preforms.

This analogy may not be the exact case, but it is simular. I wouldn't mind buying one, only to beat the crap outta it, but at the price and from the materials it is made of, don't expect it to be a fraction of the xray quality wise, regardless of price.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by skypilot
funny stuff right there, it ain't cause of "them" our economy is in the crapper
True, the reason the economy is in the crapper is too many people diving too deep into the cookie jar without thinking about anyone else. On the one hand side we want more more more and on the other we wants to pay less less less. If you win that battle it means one or more people have lost and the system, eventually, falls down.

These kinds of reverse engineering activities are no different. The net result will eventually be that companies such as XRay will not be able to survive. Their R&D and focus on quality quite simply cost money. If others then simply copy that and put it on the market much cheaper (quite easy, the R&D cost alone is staggering) then the problems begin. While I agree it is not really ethical to buy such "copy's" (or download illegal DVD copies, music, etc.), in today's world this has become so commonplace that "if you can't beat them join them" and "don't be a thief of your own pocket" play in many consumers minds.

While you can have an ethical debate about the consumers responsibilities and find fault, personally I cannot blame consumers for doing exactly what the "big boys" are doing millions of times over: benefit.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Kail
Think about it guys, racers out there all know the "XRAY" Quality.

Its precisely this quality that gives rise to the intrinsic value of the car.

It is quite certain that this knock off will not reach XRay's parts standard.
Hence, it will not appeal to those racers even if it is at a ridiculous price.

Plus, the pricing of these knockoffs are not exactly cheap. One would be able to buy a decent car, maybe a TC5 or something where they know that quality is at least upheld.

Hence, I do not believe that this will injure XRAY's market share much as their target segment has always been set at the premium market level.

So, I think that seller is not making much sense unless he can lower his producing cost dramatically and sell these cars at $50 each or smt.

Even then, it will not hurt the XRAY's market share much unless people buy these knockoffs as spares.

What do you think guys?
Maybe. But this is not just about XRay's market share is it? If someone is looking for a budget racer they can now buy this right? But if this wasn't there they would have to buy a budget racer from a legitimate firm instead. However you cut it some company will sell less because of this copy.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonyv
True, the reason the economy is in the crapper is too many people diving too deep into the cookie jar without thinking about anyone else. On the one hand side we want more more more and on the other we wants to pay less less less. If you win that battle it means one or more people have lost and the system, eventually, falls down.

These kinds of reverse engineering activities are no different. The net result will eventually be that companies such as XRay will not be able to survive. Their R&D and focus on quality quite simply cost money. If others then simply copy that and put it on the market much cheaper (quite easy, the R&D cost alone is staggering) then the problems begin. While I agree it is not really ethical to buy such "copy's" (or download illegal DVD copies, music, etc.), in today's world this has become so commonplace that "if you can't beat them join them" and "don't be a thief of your own pocket" play in many consumers minds.

While you can have an ethical debate about the consumers responsibilities and find fault, personally I cannot blame consumers for doing exactly what the "big boys" are doing millions of times over: benefit.
Yes the quality that they try to put into their products does drive up the cost. But you could also make the argument that quality is responsible for their success due to the performance of there cars.

One other high priced car, the Tamiya 416, is very high quality, as high as an Xray, and the price reflects that. But to kinda support your point, Tamiya has much cheaper kits for a consumer to buy. They can afford not to make as much money on the 416 because they sell tons of TA05's and the like...along with all of the hop ups. If you look at the real world, a company like GM can spend millions on R&D and racing to produce the Corvette ZR1, which is supposed to be around $100,000, because they sell lots of other types of vehicles. If all they made were Corvettes and Hummers it would be a tough for them to survive economic downturns. I'd really like to see a company like Xray focus on less expensive models. Because cheaper doesn't always mean less quality...maybe just use less expensive materials.

Originally Posted by tonyv
Maybe. But this is not just about XRay's market share is it? If someone is looking for a budget racer they can now buy this right? But if this wasn't there they would have to buy a budget racer from a legitimate firm instead. However you cut it some company will sell less because of this copy.
And to add to your point, what's to stop companies like this from making clones of other cars...TC5...Hotbodies...etc. If they make money doing this they could just keep on going.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:44 AM
Tech Addict

What about this one?

http://www.toptoys.cn/cn/gallery.php?id=3112&img=4610

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.