R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-26-2008, 08:29 AM   #46
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
Article has been pulled from Redrc. Wonder what that means?

It is still there for me.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:38 AM   #47
GK
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone speed View Post
...the LHS wouldnt carry so many parts ....
I keep reading this over and over again, but when you think about it, parts that break on these cars when you hit something are usually front knuckles, c-hubs and occasionally you'll need to replace bearings. These parts go back to the original T2, so do other parts that are interchangeable. No need to completely re-stock your LHS.
If Xray keeps releasing new (or updated) car every year, it probably makes good business sense for them, otherwise they would have stopped long ago. Apple does the same thing with iPods, doesn't mean you have to run out and get the latest one...
GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:56 AM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Well for me IF the 009 is an upgraded 008 I will weigh how much it will cost me for needed upgrades versus the cost of a new car minus what I can get by selling my 008.

I would like an all black Xray
Old 10-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #49
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
I keep reading this over and over again, but when you think about it, parts that break on these cars when you hit something are usually front knuckles, c-hubs and occasionally you'll need to replace bearings. These parts go back to the original T2, so do other parts that are interchangeable. No need to completely re-stock your LHS.
If Xray keeps releasing new (or updated) car every year, it probably makes good business sense for them, otherwise they would have stopped long ago. Apple does the same thing with iPods, doesn't mean you have to run out and get the latest one...
yeah its true, but if you want other parts like chassis, bulkheads , .....
I dont think they will have less needed parts.
unless there is a totaly new car wich the c hubs and steering knuckles .. would be differente , that would really be interesting
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:38 AM   #50
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to c1 racin Send a message via AIM to c1 racin Send a message via Yahoo to c1 racin

well ..... guess I'll start saving now ..... NeXus Racing get ready for my order .....
c1 racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to turd ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post

like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Xray 009 ?? .... New for the Worlds-008black.jpg  
Old 10-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #52
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd ferguson View Post
like this?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:13 AM   #53
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, no longer racing for XRay nor active as their forum moderator I am happy to see the same discussion starting up once again. And it is total bollocks. One "new" car per year is NOT unusual. If anything it is slower than most of the competition.

Look at for instance Tamiya which I run now. They average more than one new version a year, especially when you count not only the TRF4.. series but also the TB EVO series (both are top end racers). Looking at makes like Associated et al. On the surface they may seem to update less often, but then you forget about the many and usually necessary option parts and also forget about running changes made to the kits. With an XRay you don't need option parts to go fast and running changes are only made to the kits if there is a quality issue.

Engineering wise there is allways room for improvement so continuous R&D is a must to keep up with the competition. So XRay does this too. Not only that, because the power of motors and batteries change, weights change, tyres get better or worse etc. etc. there are many reasons why today's design may not be optimal tomorrow while it may become optimal again the day after. Another reason for continuous R&D which Juraj is well aware of (as are most of his competitors).

So a new car means the old car is now "old". That does not mean it is obsolete. In fact depending on many factors in some circumstances the old car will perform better. Case in point the Tamiya team two years ago that was running different types of car at different events because sometimes the older version was better and sometimes the newer version. Don't call something obsolete when it isn't and also don't consider something a bad design just because something new comes along. I am pretty sure that for instance a T1 FK04 will still be very competitive even in today's racing and that on some tracks it will actually be best. It was and still is a good design.

As to shops not carrying XRay parts. It is not about backwards compatibility as XRay has a very good record in that regard. Sure, bulkheads change and carrying these is a big cost. But then they don't bend quite so easy as those of the competition either. In fact durability is one of XRay's strengths and one of the main reasons why it is not so "sexy" for a shop to carry XRay parts. If it doesn't break you don't sell it so why carry it. Better of carrying something you do sell.

Anyway, my two cents worth.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:51 AM   #54
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_main_attendee View Post
"We improved plenty of “invisible” details especially on tolerances and materials. The new lightweight parts, which are going into the shops these days, were originally tested and used at the World’s warm-up with great results and as such we made these products as standard parts."

Sounds more like minor tweaking than a whole new car to me, which is fair enough.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #55
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
"We improved plenty of “invisible” details especially on tolerances and materials. The new lightweight parts, which are going into the shops these days, were originally tested and used at the World’s warm-up with great results and as such we made these products as standard parts."

Sounds more like minor tweaking than a whole new car to me, which is fair enough.

Skiddins
+1
yokemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:39 AM   #56
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
Well for me IF the 009 is an upgraded 008 I will weigh how much it will cost me for needed upgrades versus the cost of a new car minus what I can get by selling my 008.

Just a guess...chassis and upper deck should be different, then all 4 bulkheads should be different too...and leave everything else the same as 008...now, add them up...use some old 007 or 008 price of the above item. Not to mention, the price increase from Xray (europe).

I would guess you should sell your 008 now and get some good $$$ back.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayeddy View Post
I commend them on constant development and improvements to current cars, but , they've got to draw the line somewhere. A new car every year is getting ridiculous.

Hobby shops won't stock Xray parts, customers wont' buy them for fear of being outdated in a few months AND because of lack of parts support , and it hurts resale on the used cars.

I'd also like to think that someone with a degree in engineering would'nt have to keep refining they're products every few months. For example, take AE's B4 and T4 line of cars, nearly a 5 yr old design and still as good as when it first came out.
You are absolutely right, it is ridiculous. Every year X ray releases a new car, and every year somewhere there is an interview with Mr Hudy about the new car, and the answers all seem the same in message; This is the best car ever, it works in all conditions, it works for all drivers blah blah blah. Don't get me wrong, X ray cars are works of art, all of them. I owned a T1 Evo2 it had the best fit and finish of ANY car I've built in 12 years. Drivers get frustrated when the car they bought is obsolete after one season of racing. Which is why I sold my T1 Evo2 in the first place. How much of it is technology, and how much of it is marketing?
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #58
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to c1 racin Send a message via AIM to c1 racin Send a message via Yahoo to c1 racin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague View Post
You are absolutely right, it is ridiculous. Every year X ray releases a new car, and every year somewhere there is an interview with Mr Hudy about the new car, and the answers all seem the same in message; This is the best car ever, it works in all conditions, it works for all drivers blah blah blah. Don't get me wrong, X ray cars are works of art, all of them. I owned a T1 Evo2 it had the best fit and finish of ANY car I've built in 12 years. Drivers get frustrated when the car they bought is obsolete after one season of racing. Which is why I sold my T1 Evo2 in the first place. How much of it is technology, and how much of it is marketing?
So does Chevy - Ford - Dodge ..... and they're not even race cars ............
c1 racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #59
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

www.teamxray.com The 009 is up there now and you can see that there is not a major overhaul. The 009 basically just comes with the alumn drive shafts and lightweight parts, is anodize orange and has plates to raise the top deck for Lipo packs. The only major change I seen was the batteries are moved out slightly to allow easier pinion gear clearance. There are also some new ecentrics for raising the diff's. Other than that not much has changed.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #60
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

EU 6cell
US 6 cell

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote