R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-14-2010, 01:16 AM   #856
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000 View Post
OK, grabbed that little dusty thing off of the wall it was nailed to. The servo I used is a JR SM22. I had to space it up off the chassis so that the servo saver would not be below the chassis. It seemed to work fine even though the specs seemed light. Since the car does not weigh much, it did not need to exert much force. I never noticed that it lagged command either. The pinion is missing, but I recall working with 4:1 or 5:1 ratios.

I am going to be real skeptical that you are going to get a "light" to hook up on asphalt. That will be the deal breaker right there. The 3.7v seems to be here to stay until the next big invention. I still say give it a try and prove us wrong.
Ok; thank you sir.

I had the same in mind about the servo. I am looking at a mighty micro digital futaba, a bit pricey but... I like to feel really connected to my car which never happpens with Hitec servos. We'll see.

I repeat : against all odds, and in spite of all my doubts, the car was seriously good on a lightly sugared asphalt. Not sure on a dusty surface, but then that would be problematic for any (foam) pan car. I suspect that the front end I used is part of the very good handling of the car. It is very similar to a SP12G2 front end.

Two things to note , though: I had tires of a diameter close to yours, but since my wheels are smaller I have thicker foam on them. And the dope I used is some good ol' Turbo Tyre from PK, very smelly, but different from ground FX (I think it contains no salycilate, for instance.)

If that gives you a better idea, I used corally silver fronts and rears (different shores between F and R but similar compound, the way I understand it), where I could have used some softer golds or even greens which is a specifically asphalt-oriented compound. So I am very confident that there is some speed left on the table, I have not reached the whole potential at all yet. The days become colder in setpember so the asphalt experiments will soon cease in favor of carpet practice.

You don't happen to recall where you took the pinions from ? ( which brand ? )

Thanks again for your time !
Old 09-14-2010, 01:30 AM   #857
Tech Master

See the crappy pic attached. That G2 front end is surely a lot heavier than the " old skool " one from your car. Also the pod design on yours is very light, that compensates the drawback of not being able to alter ride height.
Attached Thumbnails
The future of 1/12 scale-photo-009.jpg  
Old 11-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #858
Tech Rookie

Default Getting started

If I am just getting started into 1/12 what is a good used chassis to get?

Not looking to spend a ton of money, I want to see if I like it first. I am currently running Nitro offroad and have raced 1/10 TC in the mid 90s.

Team Associated was good back in the day but in the recent years they seem to have taken a decline.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hazlett
Hazlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #859
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

They are all good these days.

12R5.1, Serpent and CRC are tearing it up at our track
http://www.tqrcracing.com/

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #860
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Nice! If we had a track like that around here, or any track for that matter, I may not have sold all those tires coming your way. What is the track size? I know there are a bunch of jealous guys around here.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #861
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

90x45
It's dream come true to have a carpet track this nice, or at all in So-Cal

I don't take it for granted, and go there as often as my schedule allows.

The owner is very chill, and the 12th scale crowd is growing.

We know we are lucky.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #862
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not sure if this belongs here but my 1/12 Tamtechs.... I have no where to run them except the freshly paved street just down the road. The 935 is tail heavy its nearly undrivable. These have Brushless 5800kv and 2S lipo packs. I also have the 934 in my garage ready to build.

They're great shelf queens and I love the detail.

GTO

935 Martini

Are there any courses near downtown LA?
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #863
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000 View Post
Let me just start by saying: go for it! Just don't buy the 8kv Mamba, it blows over! I estimated that it should be capable of 57mph indoors... it tried to get there!

I have this set up on a old pos link car that I scratched 10+years ago. It weighs a scant 14.5ou ready to roll. I bought a $9 mini-micro servo that steers just fine. A 1550mah 2c pack from Max Amps for roughly $25. The Mamba esc and motor pack for $125. Yep, doesn't cost that much. All the testing I did was on one set of worn out tires. They don't wear. I beat this thing senseless. Into the wall, drivers stand, pipes, other cars.... I never broke it. I then tested the 5400 which was still faster then a 3.5 with 4 cell. Then I went to a 3600 which slowed down significantly, about a slow 27t. The 4200 should be perfect, but I haven't bought one yet.

Here's the flaws in the grand plan: if it doesn't hook up on asphalt, you cut about 1/2 the 1/12th scale people out of the loop. Manufacturers will not get on board to design a car that will go out to half the people. Game over.

Yes, it will work on carpet. Yes, you will save a lot of money. And yes, it can go faster then you can handle.

Racers are stubborn, they don't want to invest in new products that have not been tried & trued and we have a fear of the unknown.

That still doesn't mean that it's a great idea. If we knew that a year from now, that was the description the future 12th scale..... we'd do it.

I will say this, that little car was more intense then my 8th scale car! It made me grin the entire time.

Brian
I liked this thread and since I have questions related to this particular kind of project, it's agood occasion to revive it.

Like you I have tried to build a lightweight 1/12th car and it does work awesome. I don't know if you tested it on asphalt but I did for one day and it was really easy to make the car hook up, despite the slightly dusty track that day. Anyway I have shelved this project, like so many others, but winter is coming and I'm re-motivated to make this thing work.

A few details:
my car is a SP12M ( it has a T-bar but still allows for centered battery. More importantly I have tires for it ;- ), I use the mamba ESC and motor but plan on testing others, and I have tested the car with 1800mAh 7,4V batteries but not extensively so I can't be precise about runtime.

My questions:

I'm going to use the 5400 motor or slower, but nothing faster for sure. I want my car to be as light as possible. What amount of mAh should I look for in order to achieve a 10 minute-ish runtime ? 8 minutes being obviously the strict minimum.

I want to buy a serious servo for it ( digital + MG). Sav÷x is my number one choice , of course, BUT their servo spline has 21 teeth in micro sizes. I would like to use a servo saver. Kimbro has the small one with this number of teeth but it seems to be for Novak servos ? so not sure the diameter of the sav÷x servo output fits. Has anyone tried this ?

Among other details, I have learned to my expense that RC18 pinions are NOT 48dp. DUH

So I'll buy M18 pinions which are 48dp. Anyone else noticed the irony of having to buy from an euro manufacturer to get Us sizes of teeth ?

Looking forward to answers, and any comment. Thanks for reading !
Old 10-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #864
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I thought Savox and Futaba had the same spline.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #865
Tech Master

thanks for answering....

indeed the standard servos have 25 teeth for both brands but the micro ones from sav÷x display 21. I don't even know the teeth count for futaba micros, or any other brand for that matter.

I just can't figure why the number of teeth is NEVER mentioned in any of the provided info, neither from the retailer nor from the manufacturer. It's just aberrant.

Not to mention the fact that nobody yet had the brilliant idea of choosing ONE teeth count once and for all and end this crap. Seriously. They did that for receiver plugs at least 10 years ago and it made life easier for everyone.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #866
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowell View Post
Single cell won't kill the T-plate car. I'm prototyping and testing a single cell T-plate car right now. The single cell sits in the center of the car for perfect balance. The future is still bright for loyal followers of T-plate cars.

Doug Powell
How's your car now ?
Update photo please.....
mos-leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:32 AM   #867
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic View Post
thanks for answering....

indeed the standard servos have 25 teeth for both brands but the micro ones from sav÷x display 21. I don't even know the teeth count for futaba micros, or any other brand for that matter.

I just can't figure why the number of teeth is NEVER mentioned in any of the provided info, neither from the retailer nor from the manufacturer. It's just aberrant.

Not to mention the fact that nobody yet had the brilliant idea of choosing ONE teeth count once and for all and end this crap. Seriously. They did that for receiver plugs at least 10 years ago and it made life easier for everyone.
I agree!
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #868
Tech Fanatic

I wont to resurrect this thread because I intend to put a novak 380 into a crc carpet knife and this would be a good place to discuss this mod. I have subscribe to this thread and will post in short time.
Tim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #869
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3 View Post
I wont to resurrect this thread because I intend to put a novak 380 into a crc carpet knife and this would be a good place to discuss this mod. I have subscribe to this thread and will post in short time.
I've done this already with an older lipo car, could be interesting with a newer in-line style car.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #870
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A 380 size motor... It could work but why would you want to? Weight?
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote