R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #841
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
You know John, that's a very narrow opinion you have there. Kinda common for you though. Isn't one of the biggest complaints about Touring cars and now 1/8th on and off road buggies is how similar the cars look. Do you really want to see all 1/12ths look the same. Thankfully Speedzone is working on a single cell Lipo saddle.

Steve
Narrow minded et?
Perhaps I just call it like I see it.
Complain all you want about the likeness between cars but ...
they make them that way because they work.
If it didn't work, no one would buy them. Narrow indeed.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #842
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
Narrow minded et?
Perhaps I just call it like I see it.
Complain all you want about the likeness between cars but ...
they make them that way because they work.
If it didn't work, no one would buy them. Narrow indeed.
John,

I recently tested the Slapmaster's t plate prototype with Brian and also his link car that he owns for testing purposes. They both worked rather good. It was the first time that I had driven a link car that I really felt "connected" too. My point was that t bar cars work very well still, and that there is still alot of them out there. I am also very excited about Doug's car and Brian's car. Varity is a very good thing for all of us. No cars should be excluded. Links and bars, it all good. Hopefully ROAR gets on board and works with the people that are currently working on single cell saddles and they can join the fun too.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #843
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
I think its funny that two years ago when I floated the idea of single cell lipo for 1/12th here I was almost drug into the street and beaten to death. Guys swore the class was perfect and lipo would kill it...how times change
People were barely accepting 7.4 lipo at that point for TC. Now that everyone is WAY more comfortable with lipo batteries, it's gonna work out.

I guarantee if this was rammed down everybody throat 2 years ago, it would have been a major bust.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:33 AM   #844
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000 View Post
Let me just start by saying: go for it! Just don't buy the 8kv Mamba, it blows over! I estimated that it should be capable of 57mph indoors... it tried to get there!

I have this set up on a old pos link car that I scratched 10+years ago. It weighs a scant 14.5ou ready to roll. I bought a $9 mini-micro servo that steers just fine. A 1550mah 2c pack from Max Amps for roughly $25. The Mamba esc and motor pack for $125. Yep, doesn't cost that much. All the testing I did was on one set of worn out tires. They don't wear. I beat this thing senseless. Into the wall, drivers stand, pipes, other cars.... I never broke it. I then tested the 5400 which was still faster then a 3.5 with 4 cell. Then I went to a 3600 which slowed down significantly, about a slow 27t. The 4200 should be perfect, but I haven't bought one yet.

Here's the flaws in the grand plan: if it doesn't hook up on asphalt, you cut about 1/2 the 1/12th scale people out of the loop. Manufacturers will not get on board to design a car that will go out to half the people. Game over.

Yes, it will work on carpet. Yes, you will save a lot of money. And yes, it can go faster then you can handle.

Racers are stubborn, they don't want to invest in new products that have not been tried & trued and we have a fear of the unknown.

That still doesn't mean that it's a great idea. If we knew that a year from now, that was the description the future 12th scale..... we'd do it.

I will say this, that little car was more intense then my 8th scale car! It made me grin the entire time.

Brian
Hello ;

I have done something very similar to your concept. Using a smaller motor in 1/12th scale is something I have wanted to do for years, but I had never tested the mamba setup. I had teste a 480 brushed motor ( because of the 3.17 mm rotor) and 2000mah and had liked it. Since then ( 3 or 4 years ) I had not touched a 1/12 pan car- or almost.

A few comments and questions specifically for you M. Slapmaster,, but if someone has real solid advice, don't hesitate.

- My car is a sp12m with a g3-like front end.
-The handling on sugared asphalt is awesome, even with rather hard tires.
- my RTR weight is over 570g with a 2000 lipo, HS85MG servo, steel screws everywhere and a LW body That is like 20 ounces. How the heck did you manage to get to 14.5 ? Your battery and servo are smaller, same for your receiver, but altogether it cannot make the 5+ ounces difference. Any ideas? Are you really sure your car is that light ? sorry for insisting but I want to go below 500 g ( 17.5 OZ) and it seems easy and impossible at the same time. What is the exact weight of your battery ?

My rollout is around 21mm for a med-sized outdoor asphalt track and the 5400 motor. Runtime is around 6'30 but I'm thinking my battery is close to dead, definitely the next item on the to-buy list. What rollout did you end up with when testing indoors ?

More importantly, what brand of pinions did you choose ? I started with the plastic pinions from my scalpel kit, but they dont last long, even if you add a setscrew to secure them. Then I bought the 10, 11 and 12 metal pinions from AE for the RC18, and the noise is just horrible. It seems like it's not the right module , ie not 48 dp. I does work though, but i'd like something quieter. What did you use ?

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-06-2010, 04:43 AM   #845
Tech Master

Also: what is the type of servo that you used ?

I have a digital micro servo with MG but is displays less than 2kg/cm at 6V, so I'm wondering if it'll be enough. I think so, but...

If you aren't comfortable with metric dimensions, just the exact name and brand of your servo will suffice.

thanks again !

Last edited by heretic; 09-06-2010 at 07:09 AM.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:07 AM   #846
Tech Master

bump !
Old 09-12-2010, 05:49 AM   #847
Tech Master

PM sent to Slapmaster6000...

bump !
Old 09-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #848
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Sorry, I was away in LV doing the IIC thing. Let me get my feet back under me and will retrieve the car off the wall in the shop as I have not looked at it in a couple of years. Its still in the same configuration minus a rx. It really was that light. I have some pics to show.

Brian
Team Orca orcharc.com
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #849
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

I was under the impression that 3.7v was the savior of 1/12th?? It is fine as it is in most peoples mind.

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #850
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Yeah, but when we made the change it would have been nice to end the unneccessary shotgun marriage to the 540-size motors. Pretty much everybody ended up buying a new chassis anyway, would have been the PERFECT time to think it ALL the way through and create a spec that was truly 21st century instead of band-aids on the same ol' $hit we've been running forever.

MUCH lighter weight means less tire wear, less damage when hitting the pipes, "livelier" feel, etc. But OH no, we allowed ourselves to remain slaves to TC drivers whining "but I won't be able to run that motor in my awd Sledgehammer RBDTX2".

So we get yet another compromise.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #851
Tech Adept

I have recently installed a 380-sized outrunner motor to my 1/12. With 2 packs of heli lipo installed, the weight is about 600g. The cost of this motor + 2 packs of lipo is only about $20 us. I have not tested it yet, but hope it is drivable.
hardmankam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #852
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000 View Post
Sorry, I was away in LV doing the IIC thing.
And word around the campfire is you were doing it quite well.

Congratulations!! You've been working toward this week for a LONG time. Savor it.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:35 AM   #853
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
Yeah, but when we made the change it would have been nice to end the unneccessary shotgun marriage to the 540-size motors. Pretty much everybody ended up buying a new chassis anyway, would have been the PERFECT time to think it ALL the way through and create a spec that was truly 21st century instead of band-aids on the same ol' $hit we've been running forever.

MUCH lighter weight means less tire wear, less damage when hitting the pipes, "livelier" feel, etc. But OH no, we allowed ourselves to remain slaves to TC drivers whining "but I won't be able to run that motor in my awd Sledgehammer RBDTX2".

So we get yet another compromise.

Haha, I kind of feel the same.

" Light is right" !!
Old 09-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #854
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

OK, grabbed that little dusty thing off of the wall it was nailed to. The servo I used is a JR SM22. I had to space it up off the chassis so that the servo saver would not be below the chassis. It seemed to work fine even though the specs seemed light. Since the car does not weigh much, it did not need to exert much force. I never noticed that it lagged command either. The pinion is missing, but I recall working with 4:1 or 5:1 ratios.

I am going to be real skeptical that you are going to get a "light" to hook up on asphalt. That will be the deal breaker right there. The 3.7v seems to be here to stay until the next big invention. I still say give it a try and prove us wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
The future of 1/12 scale-p1160018.jpg   The future of 1/12 scale-p1160013.jpg  
Team Orca orcharc.com
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #855
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I was one of the lucky ones that got to see the above car run, crazy, stupid, top fuel pinto, ballistic, room full of guys going hooollllyyy crap.

just plain ole wicked fast.