R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #811
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
I doubt that you'll ever see single cell be dead even with the 4 cell cars because they have different powerbands.

They can run together but they aren't going to be the "same". It's not a big deal at a club level as far as I'm concerned but the class needs to be seperated at big races. Maybe even with a 17.5 single cell class at 750 grams or so.
I pretty much agree with that. The only way to know for sure is to take some one like say, Mike Blackstock and have him setup two cars, one lipo and the other nimh, and see how fast he can make them go. Then add weight to the light car till there the same and see what comes of it.

DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #812
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTime View Post
I pretty much agree with that. The only way to know for sure is to take some one like say, Mike Blackstock and have him setup two cars, one lipo and the other nimh, and see how fast he can make them go. Then add weight to the light car till there the same and see what comes of it.

DK
Not a bad idea ! But couldn't we have someone we like do it ? LOL jk,,
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #813
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTime View Post

DK
That's exactly what Donny Lia has done.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #814
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
Not a bad idea ! But couldn't we have someone we like do it ? LOL jk,,
Because Barry Baker isn't racing much any more.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #815
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
That's exactly what Donny Lia has done.
And what was the results?
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #816
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
And what was the results?
I thought that it was in the SMC single cell thread, but it wasn't, I am not sure what thread the discussion was in. I know whatever weight he landed on he could get both cars consistently to run the same. I want to say it was 795g, but could be wrong. We are running them both at 360 together now.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #817
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Donny was running at 725g with 3.7v lipo. he was faster with 17.5/4 nimh but blew out on a +1 lap tq run
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #818
Tech Champion

http://www.rctech.net/forum/search.php?searchid=5095062

Here is his progress, I searched under the wrong userid before.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #819
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up Building a 7.4v Mongoose 1/12th Car

Roland,

I was very impressed with your original idea for the approach to 1/12th scale. I've been in the hobby since the early 70's (yes, we made our own Heathkit radios back then), and have evolved with the hobby throughout the years. Your approach to low-cost, li-po, 7.4v, light-weight 1/12th scale cars makes perfect sense, so I decided to start building a new 1/12th scale car using your guidelines. Here's what I'm building today:

CRC 3.2 Carpet Knife
Old School Front-End (Cheap, easy, low parts count)
7.4v Lipo, 2000mah, 20c ($20.00 and it fits the chassis perfectly)
Mongoose 10.5 ESC/Motor Combo ($135.00 for both and Sensored is important for low-speed throttle. It also takes standard pinions)

I should have the car finished this weekend, and will take some pictures. The weight with a painted, normal weight body is ~550. I have boxes of old used tires laying around, so I'll try multiple compounds and setups. Admittedly, this car will be very quick, but I can always change ratios or install a slower motor as needed.

My total cost of entry to try this approach was $155.00, plus the old chassis, servo, esc, and tires. If you bought this whole setup new, it would be $200 for the chassis, $155 for the ESC/Motor/Battery combo, $50 for the servo, and no charge for the radio (assumed already owned) for a total of $405. I can't buy a Touring chassis for that today....

I believe this is the future of 1/12th scale and this approach would radically reduce the costs to entry as well as the parts/chassis breakage, tire consumption, and battery costs.

Great Idea, and thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to some more racing evolution.....

Last edited by rcoldman; 02-17-2009 at 10:54 AM.
rcoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #820
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

A question for club and tracks that run 12th scale. Last year at our club were ran 17.5/27 and 13.5 as our two classes. I am sure we will add lipo for this year but how would you setup the classes?

If we follow ROAR we would get 4 classes for 12th scale which is not ideal as we get about 70 entries for our once a month races and the day is too filled to add two more classes.

What would be the best solution to run Nimh and Lipo together?

Thanks

Tom
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #821
Tech Master

It's all going lipo, just embrace it. No one really wants to run the round cells if they can help it. Give the round cells 2 more seasons max in 12th scale.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #822
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire Chunker View Post
A question for club and tracks that run 12th scale. Last year at our club were ran 17.5/27 and 13.5 as our two classes. I am sure we will add lipo for this year but how would you setup the classes?

If we follow ROAR we would get 4 classes for 12th scale which is not ideal as we get about 70 entries for our once a month races and the day is too filled to add two more classes.

Thanks

Tom
I think it would be best to ask your local racers and see what they want to run.
Personally I believe single cell and a 13.5 is plenty fast for most drivers. Tire wear is close to nothing and the corner speed is most impressive. Not quite sure you can get enough gear on a 17.5 and a single cell tho. Run light if you can. Europe is using 800 grams and 13.5. #.2 inches is a good roll out for medium tracks and softer side springs are in order. Let us know how it goes please. 70 racers is a lot ,,,, we are lucky to get 35.

Oh yeah.. I have a SMC 4000 1 cell for sale if anyone wants it. $30...plus shipping.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #823
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire Chunker View Post

Thanks

Tom
I have been running the 1s 13.5 for a few months now, this combo is spot on with 17.5 nimh for most tracks. I have'nt heard or tried to find anything to match 13.5/nimh, mabey a 10.5 or 8.5 and 1s. But as mentioned you should encourage your members to go all lipo. With the ROAR change and other big races like IIC going lipo only it would be easier and more fun/even for your club members to all be on an even playing field.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:39 PM   #824
Tech Fanatic

Spilt your heats by ability. At our Club, heats are organised by reference to the qualifying results from pervious meetings. We run Mod, 10.5, NiMh and LiPo drivers all in together. Because they are in the heat based on ability, there is a common speed level around the track, irrespective of power sources and motors.

Please don't generalise about the use of NiMh. Here in Europe, 12th and World GT are firmly NiMh, half of TC is still NiMh (5-cell Mod, very successful) and the whole of Germany is still NiMh in TC - they recently rejected LiPo as a class!

We were told BL would be cheaper - it isn't. People have bought twice as many speedos as they did before (software updates, or improved performance between manufacturers) and at least three times as many motors, at more than twice the price of BR, due to performance increases. We are told the same with LiPo -it won't be. Now that ROAR has made all classes available with LiPo, costs for racing each season will go up, there will be new charge techniques that reduce life, and we will be paying more. This is one reason why NiMh is still strong in Europe. I believe the same is true in Japan and the Far East.

The other reason is that EnerG and SHO cells are back to what we had before, and (especially the EnerG) they don't fail. If you want to race LiPo, fine, but don't think that NiMh is dead, it is alive, kicking and being enjoyed by at least half the RC racers in the World.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:56 AM   #825
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Unfortunately in the US for those who want to run Nimh, matchers are not processing the number of cells they used to. 6 cell demand is way off due to lipo, and 4 cell is limited in the first place. You can see where this leads. Europe may still have strong demand, but this is not the case here.

As far as costs to the average club racer, it is down, as well as the maintenance that goes into motors and batteries. At the pointy end of the field, things will never be cheap, but I still think that costs are down. I personally used to buy 2-3 packs per CLASS for a big race, 3-4 times per year. I do not feel the need to do this for lipo. So far 1 battery has been fine for multiple events.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is online now   Reply With Quote