Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
(we're only 4,6 billlion inhabitants)
Old 12-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #572
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
Trailranger, are you still testing the LIFE cells? I had the firat opportunity to try them out this past wwekend and was very impressed with them.
I gave up on the 3.2V LiFe cells because of the very limited capacity that lead to overheating in loads over 10A per cell. I am sure the technology will get better and the Sub-C cells will be 2000mah in a few years because of the demand from the power tool guys. The batteries I tested were not A123 brand, so quality in the cell could have been lacking. For now 950mah is a little low for most of our applications.

What I see in the future is Sedan and Off-Road going towards LiFe Cells in 5~10 years and 1:12 going to 3.7V LiPO in 1~2 years.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #573
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
I gave up on the 3.2V LiFe cells because of the very limited capacity that lead to overheating in loads over 10A per cell. I am sure the technology will get better and the Sub-C cells will be 2000mah in a few years because of the demand from the power tool guys. The batteries I tested were not A123 brand, so quality in the cell could have been lacking. For now 950mah is a little low for most of our applications.

What I see in the future is Sedan and Off-Road going towards LiFe Cells in 5~10 years and 1:12 going to 3.7V LiPO in 1~2 years.

Right I got these two packs from the same source as you had. I have had the packs for some time just sitting so I was'nt sure how thay'd perform. I used them with a 17.5 and thay were great. One pack went the full 8mins but the other kept dumping at the 7:15 or so mark. Do you know if I were to seperate the four cells could I charge two of them as a 1s lipo pack? I'm wondering if one half of this pack is not fully charging.

Chris

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #574
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Would anyone be able to recommend what wind motor I could use with 2 cell lipo to have pace parity with 4 cell mod i.e ~5.5? and also how much capacity I would need to make 8 mins - I'm not sure how the voltage vs. mah equation works but I assume more volts will mean a smaller capacity (and size) pack could be used

thanks
Old 12-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #575
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was also wondering if it would be possible to use a smaller size motor and still get similar performance as 4,8v / 5,5 turn? (to reduce weight further)

And knowing thta the 1:8 OR guys use up to 22,2v (6 cell LiPo) - could that be an idea? (Less Amps and higher volts, together with a small size motor) From what I've heard a high voltage setup generates less heat build up = more runtime.

Any help is highly appreciated!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #576
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
I was also wondering if it would be possible to use a smaller size motor and still get similar performance as 4,8v / 5,5 turn? (to reduce weight further)

And knowing thta the 1:8 OR guys use up to 22,2v (6 cell LiPo) - could that be an idea? (Less Amps and higher volts, together with a small size motor) From what I've heard a high voltage setup generates less heat build up = more runtime.

There has been some talk of running 380(I think thats right) sixed motors, I have seen the novak mongoose esc used with standard motors with no problems. The biggest issue with the smaller motors is the weight, loosing all the weight from the rear of the car could cause handleing issues.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #577
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Would anyone be able to recommend what wind motor I could use with 2 cell lipo to have pace parity with 4 cell mod i.e ~5.5? and also how much capacity I would need to make 8 mins - I'm not sure how the voltage vs. mah equation works but I assume more volts will mean a smaller capacity (and size) pack could be used

thanks
Quote:

Click here:http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...2-scale-3.html
and check post #78, it has pretty much all the infomations you need. It also have some pictures that shows what's needed and how to put them together.

You can try this motor:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ess_Motor_(FIN)
using 64 pitch 15~16 tooth pinion, 88 spur and tires no bigger than 1.7".

Or this motor:
using 13~14 pinion.
Roland S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #578
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland S View Post
Click here:http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...2-scale-3.html
and check post #78, it has pretty much all the infomations you need. It also have some pictures that shows what's needed and how to put them together.

You can try this motor:
using 64 pitch 15~16 tooth pinion, 88 spur and tires no bigger than 1.7".

Or this motor:
using 13~14 pinion.
That's pretty funny how on page 20 the topic came full circle all the way back to what's at the beginning.

Started out all about 2S with small motors, evolved into a thorough discussion of 1 cell lipo with regular motors, and now the question comes up, "hey, anyone ever think of running 2 cell lipo with a smaller motor?"
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #579
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
That's pretty funny how on page 20 the topic came full circle all the way back to what's at the beginning.

Started out all about 2S with small motors, evolved into a thorough discussion of 1 cell lipo with regular motors, and now the question comes up, "hey, anyone ever think of running 2 cell lipo with a smaller motor?"
Old 12-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #580
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Hey , If we run one cell lipo and the motors we have it will be cheaper and still be fun!
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #581
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post

thanks
Quote:

Also, most importantly, let me repeat three times:

DO NOT USE THE NOVAK Mongoose Micro Brushless System!

Well, actually you can use the Novak's or any ESC for brushless motor, just don't use the motor that comes with the Mongoose if that's what you have.
I just don't want you to make the same mistake that others have.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #582
Tech Initiate

To me the 3.7v solution would appear to be the simplest.

Yes, there needs to be a few issues sorted with the low voltage, but atleast we still use the same equipment (speedos and motors).

As it currently stands, I can swap motors in and out of one of my touring car or off road buggy. Thats not the case with the smaller motors.

At the end of the day, if everyone is running the same equipment, then what difference does it make if if the cars have a little less punch out of the corners. We will all have the same handicap.

As long as the racing is competitive then I'm ok with the 3.7v and perhaps a slower car.
skink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #583
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by skink View Post
To me the 3.7v solution would appear to be the simplest.

Yes, there needs to be a few issues sorted with the low voltage, but atleast we still use the same equipment (speedos and motors).

As it currently stands, I can swap motors in and out of one of my touring car or off road buggy. Thats not the case with the smaller motors.

At the end of the day, if everyone is running the same equipment, then what difference does it make if if the cars have a little less punch out of the corners. We will all have the same handicap.

As long as the racing is competitive then I'm ok with the 3.7v and perhaps a slower car.
The great thing about 3.7v single cell, (with what I've seen) is that when ran in 1/12th with a 13.5 the punch and the top speed are pretty much identical to 4cell 17.5. Albeit thats with the car weight about 690g compared to my 4 cell car at 850g. If we added weight to the car to get back up to 800g+ when running the 3.7v Lipo it would defeat half the purpose of using the lipo pack in the first place. The weight savings helps even out the speeds with 4 cell plus helps a ton with tire wear and crash damage.

Whatever the standard ends up being in the future it is nice to know there are a few alternatives that WORK, whether it be the Single cell lipo or 7.4v with less motor. I do agree though the single cell idea just seems to make more sense, just more simple and the equipment would be alot more compatible with other forms of 1/10th racing (speedo/motor)

-Donny
360rcspeedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #584
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Smaller motors would cause some HUGE problems for the car manufacturers. There is a pretty accepted front to rear weight bias that is required for a 1/12th car to handle right. If you put a lighter motor in the rear pod you would need to move weight on the chassis WAY back to regain the proper weight distribution. This is impossible to do since everything is slammed as far back as it can go on most chassis.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #585
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Smaller motors would cause some HUGE problems for the car manufacturers. There is a pretty accepted front to rear weight bias that is required for a 1/12th car to handle right. If you put a lighter motor in the rear pod you would need to move weight on the chassis WAY back to regain the proper weight distribution. This is impossible to do since everything is slammed as far back as it can go on most chassis.
Nothing is impossible. Weight is a simple fix, ever see how much weight is being added to touring cars these days? A lighter motor would allow you to distribute weight where you want it.

People should quit being so close minded and start thinking outside the box. Start innovating and stop making excuses.

Never say never.
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote