R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #526
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
the future of 12 scale is whats in donny lia's and karl hoffmeister's rides. 2 words

SINGLE CELL

imagine the time u'll have to waste b/c ur not doin battery work. somehow truing foams will become fun and relaxing lol

R

+12345 Single cell is it! If you don't think it is then you have not a run single cell car or at least one that is wired for the battery correctly.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #527
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHoff7 View Post
I did it for the first time in a long time today. It was not the most exciting thing.
Karl - it is time for you to start running another class then . Be a hero and run two to three classes in a club race day. Lipos will let you do that. Just toss in Rubber Tire touring car and another 1/12th or foam touring car class. You won't have any time to think about truing tires...
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #528
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Karl - it is time for you to start running another class then . Be a hero and run two to three classes in a club race day. Lipos will let you do that. Just toss in Rubber Tire touring car and another 1/12th or foam touring car class. You won't have any time to think about truing tires...
Yeah I should run sedan too. But ill be heading to carpet soon and have to switch the car over again. Also since the asphalt nats is at my track this year im going to build another car just for our track and keep the other one for rubber carpet. I am an asphalt 12th guy .
Old 11-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #529
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Karl - i'm planning on coming down to your indoor asphalt track come late spring/early summer. i had my 1/12 really dialed this summer. hopefully we will see you out at one of the North East Grand Slam races.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:18 PM   #530
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
i think i agree with what you are saying here --- but lets just clarify -- truing foams will never be "fun"
Foam is for pan cars, fire fighting, shipping stuff, coffee cups and contraceptives.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:14 AM   #531
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the pics Buggy Brad, that helps a lot.

andrewdoherty: Any chance you could post a few pics of how your front shock mount is setup?

For the setup guru's out there: what are the results of raising the front shock mount from it's original low location to the higher location that andrewdoherty is talking about?? Thanks all!
adam lancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #532
Tech Elite

Quote:
Karl - i'm planning on coming down to your indoor asphalt track come late spring/early summer. i had my 1/12 really dialed this summer. hopefully we will see you out at one of the North East Grand Slam races.
Yeah I was at The Gate, The only other one im going to make it to this year is at The Track in Gaithersburg Md.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #533
Tech Fanatic

LIPO:EMBRACE CHANGE
Old 11-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #534
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Here's a pic of the CRC mount. 18 mm from chassis to the top of the mount if I am not mistaken.
http://www.teamspeedmerchant.com/Veg...nyLiaRev5.html

Heres a pic of the New AE mount. I guestimated about 20-35 mm depending on the hole.
http://aedownloads.com/kit_photos/12r5/4018a.jpg

I'd be curious to know if the AE mount could be retrofitted to another chassis. I know the CRC and ae mounts use the same two hole spacing.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #535
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
You guys posting pics.....Stop posting with sloppy shit; clean it up for goodness sake

Is that clean enough?

3.7V Inside

The Open space by the Antenna mount is where I'll mount my 30mm x 21mm x 21mm pack LxWxH. It is a 4-cell pack of 2/3AAA 400mah cells to help offset the ESC weight. I would have stuck with 1/3AAA 150mah cells but my 2 year old RX pack was not holding voltage well as my Voltwatch meter showed. Once I get a feel for how well the RX pack holds I'll remove the voltwatch meter.

Because my wife tossed my shrinkwrap away when cleaning house for Thanksgiving, I'll be stuck with the wires exiting the LiPO pack on the Left side of the car. When I rewrap the pack the Deans connector will be over the servo and the LiPO wire exit on the right side of the car cleaning up the look. Without body the car should weigh 760g with the larger RX pack.

The LiPO is a 6300mah 15C (3P 2100mah) battery. I made the LiPO pack with a 1mm thick lexan shell for a little extra protection. Final size is 95mm x 47 x 21.5mm. The PCB terminal board inside the pack added an unexpected 2mm to my pack size and I had to foam pad over the PCB also. Or I would have ended up 92mm long pack, but the pack does fit between the links which is all that matters to me.

Last edited by trailranger; 11-30-2008 at 08:30 PM.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #536
Tech Fanatic

I forgot to add, what is so hard about putting in a direct replacement sized battery and adding a tiny RX or a tiny BEC booster modual? The install looks just as clean as with a 4-cell pack and none of that funny "DuckTape" rigging.

The Single cell option is getting some ground at my local track and it will save the few of us making the switch to 3.7V. 2009 the club is wanting all 1:12 to be 17.5 and guess what, all the local veterans own 13.5 so that saves the converts $85.

Last edited by trailranger; 11-30-2008 at 09:04 PM.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #537
Tech Elite

How about something that is readily available and proven to work and have equal speeds?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/5070031-post76.html

Whats so hard about this
one 55$ battery
one 15$ receiver pack

Thats all....
Old 11-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #538
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

THATS WHAT IM PLANNING ON!
and no headaches either !
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #539
Tech Champion

In my experience over the years...receiver packs for me are a headache...but replace that with a voltage booster as was suggested and I'm fine with that.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #540
Tech Fanatic

Default 3.7V

3.7V Car all complete!

My 400mah RX pack came in today so I wired on some micro deans and a on/off switch. To charge I just unhook the micro deans. The RX pack is right beside the antenna/shock mount. 21mm x 30mm.

The Tekin RS power switch has been heatshrinked over to prevent any accidental turn-ons.

The VoltWatch2 sensor still will serve as a reminder to the RX power level but also as a pesudo load in replacement to an AMB personal. My local track still uses handouts.

So far the car still works. With just the 3.7V battery the Tekin will function but may studder or need a push start. With the RX pack, works just like 4-cell NiMH.